'79 fuel tank options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

eBay #262141665203 for the tank from Downey. He also sells a skid plate (eBay #252378877727).

I bought my tank (same tank I think) from marksoffroad.net.

Skid plate from thetojoman (Downey) -- eBay.

I sourced a sending unit from fuelsafe.com

I had/have some problems with fitting it behind an axel that was pushed back a bit and in front of a 4plus tire carrier. I had to cut the front of the skid plate to clear the shocks and the back of it to clear the hitch receiver in the tire carrier. It still needs work but no gas smell inside.

I also can't bring myself to cut a hole for a relocated fuel fill. I've routed from the stock fill through the wheel well... my lift is high enough that there's no rubbing. It's a work in progress.

Definitely a project that created many new problems. Unforeseen from a newbie (like me).

View attachment 1327339

You mind posting a pic of your whole truck? What blue are you using?

Dave, I think you've seen it before - I bought the tire carrier over the summer and sent u some pics. Here are some more.

I thought it was the factory sky blue (854) but I am not sure. I have a can of touch up somewhere and I'll check and get back to you.

IMG_8429.JPG
IMG_8431.JPG
IMG_8430.JPG

I remember now. It seems a little different than the Toyota blue. I think I like it a little better than the factory light blue. It looks warmer,
"creamier"? I'm going through a 71 that was the factory Capri Blue ( I think ). I've always thought that color could use a little boost.
That GM 20 is close enough to argue stock but has a little more punch

That GM 20 is close enough to argue stock but has a little more punch

I live outside of Detroit - definitely not Toyota-country. I've seen one other 40 on the road and one recently on eBay so I don't think I've even seen a sky blue cruiser before mine --- even if mine technically isn't sky blue.

Since it has an sbc I can't get too worked up about a non-stock color esp when it looks so good.

Thanks for the compliment! :cheers:

Old thread, but curious how the rerouted filler hose is working for you?? Thinking about that myself. Found an old version of the Downey (I think) metal aux tank that I might buy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom