What's the symptoms of worn suspension bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
My Cruiser has 246,000 miles on it and has the original suspension bushings (control arms, sway bars, pan hard rods, etc.). What's the signs and symptoms that the bushings need replacing?

Take a look at them and see if you see any cracking in the rubber, or separation of the rubber bush from the sleeve

As far as driving I would think clunking or wandering or a non fixable geometry readout may be a clue. Sway bar bushings had a squeek for me on bar side when worn and a clunknon bumps at ends when those went

I got the whole lot from akella and have swapped all but the rear upper arms. Hoping that fixes a little take off clunk that i imagine might be slop there.

jfz80, thanks for your reply. I'm experiencing some of the symptoms you described. A bumping sound while going over bumps, especially washboard ruts and pot holes. It's not real loud, but I can hear it. I also experience tracking deviation at higher speed (>45), like being push aside by a wind gust. I rebuilt the steering knuckles last NOV and replaced all bearings, seals, steering arm studs, cone washers, and nuts with OEM hardware. All the tie rod ends look real good, so I'm thinking it is probably the suspension system causing the bumps and sways. Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

Tracking deviation, generally sloppy handling. Especially with worn sway bar bushings (but also control arm bushings to an extent), there will be extra body roll and it will take a second after you turn the steering wheel for the suspension to load up before the truck actually turns.

It's probably time.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll start with the sway bars and go from there.

Is a hydraulic press needed to change out the bushings (sway bar, etc)? If so, are guys just taking it to a local shop? Renting a hydraulic press?

Sway bar bushings do not require a hydraulic press, but the control arms, radius arms and panhards do. Harbor freight has a 20 ton shop press that occasionally goes on sale for $160. I plan to buy it and do all the bushings at home, then pawn the press since I don't have much space in the garage :eek:

These big bushings are pressed in with a lot of interference. I would guesstimate it to be around 0.005+". Doesn't sound like much, but it does sound like a gun going off when they POP!

... What's the signs and symptoms that the bushings need replacing?

The best bet is a visual inspection. We questioned this one, in the end decided to go ahead and replace it, noted a reduction in rattling, clunking.:hillbilly:
R_Arm_bushing_1.jpg

R_Arm_bushing_2.jpg

R_Arm_bushing_3.jpg

Yep, I'd say that probably needed replacing.

Does anyone have a list of the part numbers or a complete kit available?

Does anyone have a list of the part numbers or a complete kit available?

X2, a comple kit would be a great idea!
Im starting to experience some clunking on rough roads and when turning...

Anyone know of an aftermarket bushing set that is better than OEM as far as longevity? IIRC a few people have tried aftermarket bushings but seems like they fell apart rather quickly??

What's the current price for a complete set of bushings?

We have run most of the aftermarket bushing brands with poor/disappointing life. But our stuff gets wheeled often, others may have differing results?

Your Toyota parts counter? :idea:

I figure you probably know the part numbers off the top of your head. I need to get them. I will call you.

X2, a comple kit would be a great idea!
Im starting to experience some clunking on rough roads and when turning...

Call Onur aka @beno

It was simple and I learned a little bit. Plus it's fun talking to somebody who actually knows Land Cruisers.

@LS1FJ40 How much for the whole set? I'm probably in for them. Truck still wanders a good bit after new TREs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom