Transmission/Transfer Case Fill Plugs Connected? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

forksinthetrail

Frequent Lurker
Threads
I changed all the fluids in the new Troopy recently and came across a weird arrangement where the fill plugs for the transmission and transfer case were connected with fittings and a hose. I replaced the setup with new plugs but now that I think about it I fear that there may be some reason I am not aware of to connect the two? Equalization, overflow, something else?

The hose permits the oil from the transmission to flow back into the transfer case.

The reason why these hose assemblies are installed is because it is cheaper than splitting the gear boxes and replacing the seal that is leaking between the transmission and transfer case assembly.

Typically, but not always, when the seal between the two gear boxes fails, this will permit gear oil from the transfer case to migrate to the transmission. When that happens, the oil level drops in the transfer case and rises in the transmission. If the transfer case is ran with a low oil level, very expensive damage will result.

I figured it was something like that. If someone had a problem in the past I better put it back eh?

I originally had an idea that this was a needless mod, but after reading too many posts about it, I think it might be--as you and FastEddy say, a preventative. I'm thinking I would like to do this also, but can't find the threads associated with the modification--checked the FAQ and didn't see anything there.(I know they are here someplace, but can't find)--could you help with this?
thanks for any help--
Gary
The hose permits the oil from the transmission to flow back into the transfer case.

The reason why these hose assemblies are installed is because it is cheaper than splitting the gear boxes and replacing the seal that is leaking between the transmission and transfer case assembly.

Typically, but not always, when the seal between the two gear boxes fails, this will permit gear oil from the transfer case to migrate to the transmission. When that happens, the oil level drops in the transfer case and rises in the transmission. If the transfer case is ran with a low oil level, very expensive damage will result.

I built my Orion some 5 years ago with a H41 tranny (an awesome combo) and I've just checked my transfer case oil, it was a bit low since the some of the oil has migrated to the transmission. I've just replaced all the fluid and saw this cool looking hose. The problem is we have a group order and we need just one more hose to be ordered so this can go through. Anyone want to join us for this group order, we just need one more order, it looks good and only cost 59 bucks:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transmission-to-transfer-case-bypass-hose.794901/

Moderator please pardon me for posting the link to the vendor. Thanks very much

this was on my 45 when I got it......worked just fine, even had a manual knob.
45537340.jpg

That looks like the pump head that goes on the 90W gear oil container that you would use to fill the cases. It looks like it is set up to pump from the transfer to the tranny. Seems ass-backwards, in addition to being pretty?

you are correct on the 1st part.....

here is a post from the inventor :hillbilly:.....aka the PO(12 years ago) of my 45. (like I mentioned, it was removed when I changed trany's and went thru the T-case). I have one of MAF's hose set up on my 60, I left it in place even after I resealed everything.

My seal have been shot because it always ran into the transfer. In that case the bypass hose didnt help at all. So I did the hose barb fittings and plumbed in a pump off of a 90 wt pump bottle, sorta like the ones for hand soap. It had a clear vinyl tube going back up to the tranny. Just every now and then, I would climb under and pump untill no more gear lube was moving through the line....I saw a picture of it on Landpimps gallery, so I'm thinking it must still be functional. Not a setup for serious off-road work, but it looked way easier than pulling everything apart.

That looks like the pump head that goes on the 90W gear oil container that you would use to fill the cases. It looks like it is set up to pump from the transfer to the tranny. Seems ass-backwards, in addition to being pretty?

I've owned my BJ40 for 34 years (and keep it pretty much ex-factory in all respects) and have never considered fitted one of those equalising setups.

If I ever find my oil transfering in any significant quantity from my transfer to my main gearbox I'll remove them both and recondition them.

I check my transmission oil levels only when I'm replacing them too, and that's every 20,000kms.

I'm posting this just for some balance because I think there are still many others around that aren't paranoid about this oil-transfer occurring.

And I'd hate to think people are starting to think that these equalisation things are a "must have" on every 40-series.

:beer:

A quick test to see if you have a problem is take the plug out of the transmission. If oil comes out then you got a problem.

When I went to check mine I got 8 ounces out of the transmission so did the hose thing rather than pull the gear boxes 1700 miles from my shop. It was the lesser of two evils.

Problem is most people forget to check the fluids. And if they do and see oil coming out if the fill plug don't understand there is a problem that needs addressed.

I have the same prob. Tx full to overflowing and T-case almost empty. -elected to go w/Shipmags hose to stave off the inevitable--got the seal, just need the time and $ to replace.

So for the case of tranny filling transfer, this is a great short term solution until a guy has the time, money, space and inspiration to effect a more permanent repair .
In these situations, my personal experience tells me that short term repairs such as this are usually replaced in as little as 2-3 years:grinpimp:

I have a hose on my 40 as I consider it cheap insurance- not a band aid as the seal is new, or as a replacement for maintenance but one less thing to worry about.

or split it and replace the seal....
cheaper to put the hose back on but a bit hacker IMO

Sold all of group buy 13. Ready to move forward with group buy 14. Pm me if you want one. Standard seems to be 12.75 or 17.5 you need to measure fill plug of trf to tran us a small diameter hose to measure with its easier than using a tape measure. Send me a pm for paypal instructions.

Sorry guys I still waiting for group buy 17 to come in. The banjo fittings from England have not come to the hose vendor yet. As soon as I get a confirmation email of the shipment I will let you know and they will go out the day I get the hoses. I appreciate the patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom