Intro Xml325 38.5's with no lift 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was watching mine today too, just because of this conversation. I was at 68 indicated and still hadn't shifted into over drive. Let off the gas and of course it shifted. But then I stepped on it again to maintain speed and back out of overdrive it went. I'm trying to figure out what gears to put in it. I have 4.56s and 4.88s. I don't want to go too steep. The 5.29s with the 37" Toyo MTs is a little steep on the highway. I guess another thing that is a little different is out here our speed limit is 80mph so our highway gearing is a bit different than the slower states.
Is there an adjustment for when OD kicks in?
I'm thinking my OD has never kicked in(with OD on), because I don't think I've ever seen less than 3k at 70. I've go to search this and see what is said.

Sent from my SM-G900R7

37s and 4.88 gears runs virtually the same as stock. Plus or minus 2 mph at highway speeds according to two different GPS units ANC highway patrol speed indicator signs.

After driving it today, I'm guessing I was heavy on the throttle last night when I reported 3k Rpm at 70. Today, OD did kick in at 70ish and dropped to 2k held 2k and 70ish until a long hill and slowed it to 65. Played a bit with it in low range paying alot of attention to the crawl speed/ratio. It does seem a little high so all in all I will probably do the recommended 5.29s.

Sent from my SM-G900R7

i still find there to be a lack of power with 5.29s and 37's but i live in Colorado so i see higher altitudes and more hills than most of you. guess im just going to have to turbo it :worms:

Wouldnt you see higher RPMs if you swap to lower gears like 4.88 or 5.29. Right now with 37s the tires act as an overdrive in themselves. New gears will actually bring the cruising rpms up,

Yes, the steeper the gear, the weaker (less material in mesh). Yes it brings your RPMs up at the same speed. I went to 37x13.50 Toyo's and live them. With the stock gears it was a slug. Went to 5.29's for two reasons. One, might go bigger tires down the road, but for now, being slightly over geared just keeps me from going really fast down the freeway. Two, I have a full size spare, mount, two jerry cans, a high-lift and a 75lb tool kit with me at all times. I recently had four adult male passengers, all at least 200lbs, and all the gear, and it still accelerates like stock or slightly better. I have a strong disliking to being loaded with gear and the truck gets significantly slower. Along with that, my home trail is the Rubicon, and the elevation alone makes performance a must, so the gears will help come summer time. Welcome to the s*** show, like the chop, keep it up!
Phil

Looks awesome! It's amazing what you can do with a sawzall. I would be somewhat concerned about the front diff with a tire that big.

any updates? hows it holding up? have you wheeled it yet? more pictures of the inside after fender work was done? I love that you kept the stock suspension angles... and that ground clearance. The picture from straight on makes it look like it has portals. :)

I ran stock gears and 40s for a good 5months, and went to 5.29s. Honestly the difference was not as much as I hoped or expected, just getting going from a start quick and more peppy but other than that it's not amazingly better. Still have to do lots of left foot braking on any crawling, going to throw in some Marlin gears but I'd assume I'll still need lots of left foot braking.. What ever happened to that damn black box

I have 37's, 4.88s, and marlin gears. The Marlin gears aren't that much help to be honest. I am constantly left foot braking. They do seem to make more of a difference downhill with engine braking, but just not enough difference when playing on steep terrain and rock ledges.

I hear you on the doubler, but someone who posted on this thread about "cutting fenders is a jeep thing" pretty much some up most of the 80 market. I'm not knocking keeping the 80 close to stock (it's your truck and do what you like with it), but I've given up hope that there is enough demand for vendors to build parts to make the 80 a serious crawler. At this point I'm looking for a nice 1st gen 4runner to keep alongside my 80 for the truly hardcore stuff. The 80 is a great rig and it could be so much more with a legit doubler, unfortunately I don't see it happening.

Reformed Jeeper, the doubler opens up a whole new can of worms for an 80 because of the gas tank. You end up having to cut down the tank or relocate it to the back. I think it is a just a stream of things. Once you do this you have to do this and then this and then all of a sudden you are at a different vehicle. When parts are cheaper and more readily available like for a Taco/Mini/4Runner or a jeep then it is easier to go down that slippery slope. But with an 80 being more of a limited run vehicle the aftermarket support for bolt on and even weld on options is pretty limited. There are very few out of the box builds with 80s because of that (how many 285, 2" OME, ARB front bumper 80s are there? or even 3-4" with 315 builds?). Where you see some neat stuff happening is with wrecked trucks. Where the damage is so bad that something has to be done and things have to change. And where the price is so cheap that people feel free to hack up the truck.

Several have recommended dropping to 4.88s or even 5.29s....

My thoughts were:
It seems to do fine with the 4.11s now.
And gears actually become weaker because of less material in the actual tooth as you go lower(higher numeric value) correct?

I assume that in addition to better crawl ratios that a lower gear set would better protect the tranny from the tire mass stress and temp?

I think I'd want my axles to be the weak link( easier fix) not the ring gear and but definitely not the tranny.

Sent from my SM-G900R7
you are correct i have had to replace 2 trans in my truck because of those tires and not having the proper gear ratio. the second one was an upgraded trans i paid lots of $$ for..... it lasted about 2 months then was burnt up, mostly form highway use. Ended up with 5.13 gears works good now problem free.

any updates? hows it holding up? have you wheeled it yet? more pictures of the inside after fender work was done? I love that you kept the stock suspension angles... and that ground clearance. The picture from straight on makes it look like it has portals. :)

No updates yet, been slammed at work. Connecting the relocated fuel door back into the tank is the last thing I've done so far. I'll continue filling in the wheel wells and either i will plan for 5.29 gear swap or swapping axles.

you are correct i have had to replace 2 trans in my truck because of those tires and not having the proper gear ratio. the second one was an upgraded trans i paid lots of $$ for..... it lasted about 2 months then was burnt up, mostly form highway use. Ended up with 5.13 gears works good now problem free.

So K5, you are still running these xml 325s? Stock axles with 5.13 gears or did you upgrade axles?

Yeah the Rear axle is a 14 bolt 3/4 ton gm axle it has a 10.5 ring gear in it IIRC but the front is just a Dana 44 and I did the conversion on the hubs to make them 8 lug and match the rear. Both of the diffs are open so that may be the reason the front is holding up so well.

Yeah the Rear axle is a 14 bolt 3/4 ton gm axle it has a 10.5 ring gear in it IIRC but the front is just a Dana 44 and I did the conversion on the hubs to make them 8 lug and match the rear. Both of the diffs are open so that may be the reason the front is holding up so well.

What was the experience with the stock axles and the xmls, if you ran it like that at all?

I never ran them with the stock axle in the back. I wanted to upgrade the rearend because I have a crate motor in my truck so when I bought the tires I bought them on and 8 lug rim. The front axle is stock though. Other than the outer hub assembly.it has the Stock axle shafts still. And I have had no problems with it.

I came from owning two 91 4Runners so this truck, even with 37s and stock gears, is a rocket compared to the 3.0
Use to have a '93 Runner w/3.0L and know exactly what you mean. I then went to a '91 3FE which felt so much quicker off the line, lol.

I have a set of 5.29 gears, brand new still in the box.
For 80 Series with OEM front and rear locker + bearings and yoke.
PM me if you want it.

I may be changing direction with this build and it may be retarded but here it goes....
I have an 05 tacoma sr5 prerunner quad cab, has 260k on the clock and it's using oil and losing antifreeze.
On the other hand I have the 94 landcruiser with 184k on the clock runs great shifts great lockers front and rear and as stated previously in this thread is sitting on xml 38.5 tires with tubbed wells in progress.
Thoughts are, I've always wanted a 4x4 tacoma, I love my prerunner, I do have needs for a truck bed, I do not want to put another engine$ in the tacoma. The landcruiser is cut already.....you see where I'm going?
Stretch the landcruiser chassis swap the body for the tacoma, retain landcruiser engine, trans, firewall, dash and console all with harness. Tada...I've got my truck I love but now with the drivetrain I want and the "SR5ZJ80" would be close to 1600lbs lighter than the landcruiser. And a solid axle fully locked, coilsprung, 4wheel disc, high pinion front axle, full float rear axle Tacoma quad cab on 38 1/2s to me would be killer!!!
Tell me I'm not crazy, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom