Leaf Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
Saw this on a build on pirate and it caught my eye, partially because I'd never seen it before and partially because it seems to be the perfect solution to running the moving end of the spring forward of the front axle. It keeps the leading edge of the spring nice and high to prevent rock impact while retaining the advantages of keeping the fixed end forward.

Has anyone ever used something like this on a cruiser build on this forum?
How does the angle of the track affect the spring rate?

Custome weld-on slider boxes:
Leaf Slider boxes

Image linked from Wilson on Pirate4x4.
4525 No Quarter Racing modest modified - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
b2087b8e.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I ve been following those for a while. Ive always liked the idea. I thought about doing it on my truck to lower it a couple inches back when it was taller, but decided against it because it would have given me way flat caster in the front without a cut and turn. (My shackles are behind my axle.)

I ve been following those for a while. Ive always liked the idea. I thought about doing it on my truck to lower it a couple inches back when it was taller, but decided against it because it would have given me way flat caster in the front without a cut and turn. (My shackles are behind my axle.)

Makes sense, but that's a relatively easy fix with shims for the potential gain in clearance and protection you'd get, or if you're already doing a C&T, then compensate for it there.

Disadvantages other than the caster problem?

$140 for a pair of the non-XJ specific ones. Edited first post with the link.
image.php

I know someone on the board is running them on his soa truck. maybe PgBottle? I think thats his name. I know I have seen a pic of them before on here.

Makes sense, but that's a relatively easy fix with shims for the potential gain in clearance and protection you'd get, or if you're already doing a C&T, then compensate for it there.

Disadvantages other than the caster problem?

Ummmm... All the twist is put into 1 set of bushings rather than 2...That could lead to more twist in the leaf, faster wear on the bushings... I'm reaching now. I always liked the idea of these. Some people were speculating on how long the derlin bushings would last (especially in muddy/sandy conditions) and what kind of problems that could cause, particularly on road.

din't get the idea until saw this pic ..

d2cd1634.jpg

Pic borrow from the same pirate thread ..

Looking forward to see real trail experience with those . .

How does this slider moves side to side, when truck is articulating as opposed to shackle/bushings combination?

However, neat concept.

Ummmm... All the twist is put into 1 set of bushings rather than 2...That could lead to more twist in the leaf, faster wear on the bushings...

I'm assuming there is still a set of spring eye bushing within the slider. Hmmm.

It does seem like the delrin is going to loosen up after the first trip out. Why not bearing rollers with 0.001 clearance?

The slider bars need to be welded the whole way too.

maybe some springs like Alcan's with the orbit eye would help with articulation and bushing wear?

How does this slider moves side to side, when truck is articulating as opposed to shackle/bushings combination?

However, neat concept.

Im not sure shackles moving side to side are essential to leaf spring function...or even desired for that matter. There is still one set of bushings.

I'm assuming there is still a set of spring eye bushing within the slider. Hmmm.

It does seem like the delrin is going to loosen up after the first trip out. Why not bearing rollers with 0.001 clearance?

The slider bars need to be welded the whole way too.

Yes there are still spring bushings. But only one set, where as a traditional shackle has 2 sets of bushing that divide the twisting force between them. Which should result in more articulation, less twist in the leaf and longer bushing life.

I think I remember some guys actually developing a bearing system.

maybe some springs like Alcan's with the orbit eye would help with articulation and bushing wear?

That would work well I think.

Interesting.
The thread title made me picture a kind of rock slider that protected the leaf springs.

I'm kind of taking 4Rnr's side that whatever advantages these things may lend will be moot, but I'm curious to see the full results.

Last edited:
I'm kind of taking 4Rnr's side that whatever advantages these things may lend will be moot, but I'm curious to see the full results.

Actually, over all, I like them.

Pro's:

Low profile = less to hang up on rocks.
Good way to lower the vehicle.
No shackle inverting on non-reversed 40's, etc...
Cool factor is a 7.5/10.

Possible Cons:

How fast will the derlin wear?
What effects will worn out derlin cause?
More stress on bushings?
More stress on leafs?

I'm curious if the derlin/slider part could be improved on for rock crawling as opposed to drag racing.

Really cool to think that it may be possible to do a nice and low spring over with these instead of the traditional SR through frame.

Delrin is very hard, it also has lubrication properties so it will last for quite a while.

I am failing to see the true disadvantages of this setup short of packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom