Custom 4x4 Diesel Chinook (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my 1985 4x4 Turbo Diesel Toyota longbed that has been converted into a camper by removing the bed and the addition of the pop-top camper off of a 1978 Toyota Chinook. This mod will work on just about any pick-up with the right wheel-base and cab height. All you need is to find an old Chinook, then take off the camper and then line everything up (easier said than done).

The rear glass and most of the back has been removed from the cab, permitting a pass through.

The entire truck was rebuilt from front to back...new exhaust, overhauled drive train and drive line, overhauled axels, beefed up brakes, rebuilt turbo and motor including a new head and rings....you name it... its either rebuilt or new. All work done by Toyota with Toyota parts. 4 inch suspension lift with pro-comp gas shocks and add a leaf in the rear for heavy loads. It all rides on 385/75 Goodyear Duratracs on 16 inch alloy rims. Custom bumpers and sliders. The paint is a two part epoxy, the same they use to paint offshore oil rigs. The hood is flat black for glare reduction and its got 65% tint all around on the windows. The Canvas on the pop-top is in great shape and the camper shell itself is in great condition. There were a few important mods that were needed to improve the structural joining of the cab and camper....I can detail if any one is interested. I have about a total of 18k USD invested, not including my time.

With the diesel, I average 20-22 mpg on the highway. I must say it is pretty gutless, so I don't try and win any races, sorry in advance if you're behind me on a big hill. It does however have plenty of low-end torque for rolling over anything that gets in the way.

I don't have any of the finished interior photos. There's a three way fridge inside that runs off 220v/12v/Gas... It gets cold enough to keep things frozen and it will run off a single 20gal gas cylinder for ~two weeks. I have a sink, two burner stove and an 80 litre water tank as well. All the surface appliances are recessed into the counter with covers so that I have lots of counter space when I need it. All the electrical system in the back as well as the stereo is run off a separate deep cycle battery that is hooked up to a battery isolator off of the alternator. There is a 600w inverter for powering computers etc... It has tons of closet and storage space and there is a couch that folds out into a bed with space for two and my big dog.

Future projects/dreams include air-bags for the rear suspension, solar panels and satellite internet for when I'm using it for work.

107187310_medium_105a22.jpg

107187306_medium_cd8b38.jpg

That thing is awesome. You'll definitely need to post up some additional build photos.

Thanks.

I wish I had more photos of the build-up process...unfortunately I don't. When I came across this vehicle it was semi-complete. The guy that I purchased it from in Calgary had planned to use it for a Pan-Am expedition. I am having it shipped by container to where I live in South America next year via container.

I finished the interior myself. It was completely gutted. Once I have a chance I'll post a few photos of the finished interior and some more pics of the truck.

Most of the mechanical work was done by Earnhardt Toyota in Arizona, so no pics there either. My brother works there so I get a pretty good discount on parts and labor. I tend to have more money than time, so I prefer to pay people that know what they're doing rather than doing it myself, screwing it up, then paying them anyway.

The main reason I wanted to post this was so that if someone had a similar plan, they could contact me. Those campers on old chinooks were very well built and it's cool to see people reno'ing them. Buying a new vehicle such as this would be pretty dear...so hopefully anyone that has this sort of an idea for themselves will find this and we can get in touch.

sick!!!!!

Very cool. Did you keep the 2LT stock, or bump up the boost?

Any problems climbing long, steep grades and the engine trying to cook itself?

Please post more pictures, especially of the inside. That's a really sick truck, I want to see more.

Dan

Yes, it's a 2LT. Everything is stock, except the suspension and the brakes. It weighs 4700lbs, so it definitely struggles on really long grades. I did have problems with red-lining, but I had the entire cooling system rebuilt/replaced and it is a lot better. On hot days I still need to watch the temps. I'd like to put an inter-cooler in some day, that would probably help a lot. I average ~22mpg highway, but not in a hurry. It's got plenty of low end torque, so its great for moderate-light off-road...nothing extreme.

I will post pics as soon as I have a chance. I'm in Bogota, Colombia until January and the truck is in Las Vegas...

have you considered gearing down?
I think that some deeper diff gears may give you a little more power for that beast.

you said 385 .. but those looks like more 285 tires .? ( could be my eye failing .. ) did you keep stock axles ratio ? ( 4.88 thought )

you said 385 .. but those looks like more 285 tires .? ( could be my eye failing .. ) did you keep stock axles ratio ? ( 4.88 thought )

Stock is 4.10 unless it's a stock auto, then 4.88.

4.29's or 4.88 will definitely give it some more umph with all that weight.
I would shy away from deeper crawler gears, and go for more streetable gears in the 4 area. You'd still go slow, but you'd also have power to get you around without overworking your motor.

Usually down here 2L and 2L-T that came in Land Cruiser II ( Light Duty Land Cruisers ) run 4.88 from factory .. not sure up there ..

Usually down here 2L and 2L-T that came in Land Cruiser II ( Light Duty Land Cruisers ) run 4.88 from factory .. not sure up there ..

Oh, that's cool.
I was under the impression that this was a converted gas truck.
If it is a stock diesel truck, then I'm comfortable knowing that you know more than me about it.
:cheers:

Those are 385/75/16's, no typo.

The engine is stock and the ratio is 4.88

Cool, that's more information I haven't heard before.

Those are 385/75/16's, no typo.

The engine is stock and the ratio is 4.88

Couldn't find the 385s listed on their site: Wrangler DuraTrac | Goodyear Tires

Largest one they show is the 315 and that is about 35" diameter. Calculator shows a 385 would be nearly 39" diameter. I know the 285s (33" dia) on my K2500 look pretty big.

Hahahaha! You're right. My memory sucks! 285 it is!!

40' tyres! Hahhahahahahaha

Nice setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom