Front E-Locker 80 series in a Front Axle 70 series Light Duty??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

might work.
You would have to source out different axles I believe.
I would wait for others to confirm this though.

No problem it works just fine with your original axles. You have to mod your housing to fit for the shifter fork. There are tons of write ups on this. I swaped mine over to the 80 series e locker on my 78 last year and it's been great. Selectable on the front diff is the only way to go.

Take Care

The axles for the high pinion e-lockers do not need to be changed out. I have covered this before several times in this and other forums. The long spline shaft is only required for cable lockers and 9.5" e-lockers.

They will fit, with mods as mentioned.

The light duty axle housing is just that - light duty. Take it easy on it and you'll be fine. If you're going to be hard on it, swap the housing out for a full-sized (9.5") housing or a HD front housing from another 70 series.

~john

Just a quickie for my info.....why not just use an ARB?

Just a quickie for my info.....why not just use an ARB?

Exactly... I like the ARB product a lot. Reliability is directly related to the quality of the installation.

I've been running them since 1989. Very few problems, several 100 thousand Kms of pretty rough use.

~John

Exactly... I like the ARB product a lot. Reliability is directly related to the quality of the installation.

I've been running them since 1989. Very few problems, several 100 thousand Kms of pretty rough use.

~John

I been using ARB front and rear for several years. Main reason I went for ARB is I knew somtimes the e-locker sticks.

Where I am the cost is not too much of a difference.

No problem it works just fine with your original axles. You have to mod your housing to fit for the shifter fork. There are tons of write ups on this. I swaped mine over to the 80 series e locker on my 78 last year and it's been great. Selectable on the front diff is the only way to go.

Take Care

Thanks mate... :cheers:

Becare ;)

The axles for the high pinion e-lockers do not need to be changed out. I have covered this before several times in this and other forums. The long spline shaft is only required for cable lockers and 9.5" e-lockers.

They will fit, with mods as mentioned.

The light duty axle housing is just that - light duty. Take it easy on it and you'll be fine. If you're going to be hard on it, swap the housing out for a full-sized (9.5") housing or a HD front housing from another 70 series.

~john

Great INFO!!! ;)

Thanks a lot Radd :beer: :cheers:

would the 80 e locker fit the 70 series heavy duty axles??

if we are taling about 9.5 axles then you would need the rear 80 series e locker and then you jump into the long spline inner issue mentioned above ..

lulo,
don't listen to John, ARB sucks.
that is going to be a wicked little truck with the e/locker front and rear.
the OPEN version of the high pinion front are weak as hell, it si the actual casing that sucks. the e/locker are much stronger
but
as John mentions,
the raised pinion gears are a weak point. they seem to wear more quickly than the low pinion small e/locked front.

i would have no issue sticking a low e/locked front up against a full sized e/locked front.

lulo,
don't listen to John, ARB sucks.
that is going to be a wicked little truck with the e/locker front and rear.
the OPEN version of the high pinion front are weak as hell, it si the actual casing that sucks. the e/locker are much stronger
but
as John mentions,
the raised pinion gears are a weak point. they seem to wear more quickly than the low pinion small e/locked front.

i would have no issue sticking a low e/locked front up against a full sized e/locked front.

i would lvoe to hear the results to that....

[...snip...]
as John mentions,

I was more talking about the light duty Land Cruiser axle HOUSINGs and not the third member - which is also somewhat different. The axle housings on the LJ series Cruisers do not have any trussing like the HZJ (and other) heavy duty series have.

~John

you mean like the old 40 and 60 series didn't have and stood up well?

No, I mean like the mini-truck ones. The ones that did not stand up all that well...

~John

please expand on circumstances of failure...

It is very common for them to bend between the spring perch and the knuckle ball. It's also common for them to bend when used with lockers - the outer ends move forward.

~John

interesting, you have seen this happen with 35s (and smaller) and lockers?

On the mini-trucks, yes. It's actually quite common, but most people don't go looking for it until they start to go through rear bearing and seals (rear ends), or have other similar problems with the front ends.

Run a truing rod through the housing and it's quite apparent that the housings are not straight.

40 & 60 series (and I'm sure others) will also bend housings when used with lockers and larger tires, but it seems to be less common. On the semi-floaters, the axles can be a little harder to get out when the housings are slightly bent, like in my BJ42.

~John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom