Smittybilt Console Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I decided that I couldn't live with my stock console. The 60's console's cup older SUCKED, especially if you have a passenger. I really didn't feel like breaking out $200-300 for a tuffy/CCOT. I don't live in the ghetto and most people can't even look into my truck because it sits so high. Security isn't a big deal, but I need more space for gear. Not to mention the lack of an arm rest. I happen to be browsing a 4wd magazine at my cousins house and spotted the smittybilt stereo console. Decided it was my turn to test something out and I just happened to be herculining my floor soooo I really didn't need any more prompting...

Smittybilt Security Stereo Floor Console

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?groupID=577

$90.00 plus shipping
BUT 4wd always has specials and coupons so I got mine with 30% off plus shipping....

Installing:

Obviously the console was set up for a heap, and the predrilled holes ALMOST worked with the stock bolt points. Close but no cigar. 30 seconds of measuring and 2 minutes of drilling and we're ready to bolt it in. I happened to have longer bolts (1.5 inches long)

Rating:
:banana:

Initial impressions were great. I had low expectations in terms of overall quality and function but I was proved otherwise. The only downside was the cheap looking plastic arms (see link)
but they work. Will update with long term durability.

console review 002.jpg
console review 003.jpg

This looks pretty good. I was actually thinking of doing the ammo-can install as a cheap alternative, but this is interesting.

darn it! I just ordered the tuffy... this looks like a great alternative

I'd like to see what it looks like with the seats in, and how much of an arm rest there is. I saw one on another thread that is even less expensive and only takes changing the mounting holes as well. It was at Vertically Driven Products 31515 - VDP Original Ultimate Console for 76-95 Jeep CJ & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec I was planning on buying it tomorrow, but the fact that this one is made out of steel kind of interests me. I don't know what the other one is made of.

Is the gear shift in that picture in nuetral or in 2nd/4th? Trying to gauge clearance if I have one of my big drinks in the cup holder. Like that the cupholders are adjustable too.

Crap, now I gotta figure out which one I want to get.

27" model
its in 2nd gear and the seats are in the farthest back position.
console review 002.jpg
console review 003.jpg
console review 005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra pics. I'm not all that tall so I don't think I would get a whole lot of room on that arm rest with the seat forward. Still, it looks really nice. Decisions, decisions......

Does this console require removal/relocation of the rear heater box?

Does this console require removal/relocation of the rear heater box?

In a 60, the rear heater box is under the passenger seat, so mounting in a 62 could be different.

Console looks great! I wouldn't mind picking one of these up myself...

Last edited:
Well that settles it. I like the CCOT but I don't see $200 difference. That item looks plenty good. Is the steel good and heavy feeling? Doesn't feel at all flimsy does it? The Tuffy console feels extremely solid with no flex whatsoever.

wheres my coupon for 30% off?................................I'd pay $60 plus shipping for that!
Thanks for the link to buy too.

But.............seriously................
Where the hell is my 30% coupon!

I guess nobody has installed this in a 62?

Well...Off to checkout I go. I'll post reviews/how-to/install thread when I get it.

I bought one of those a few months ago scratch and dent for $50.00 It's a real
nice alternative to the tuffy, especially for my frugal ass. Install was easy. I still haven't figured out the radio install yet, might get to that while I'm off work for the holiday.
:beer:

Yep it looks like a good deal...the CCOT is slightly lighter than the Tuffy but the lock on Tuffy is better in my opinion. I have Tuffy in my FJC and the CCOT in my FJ60......but for half the price I would definitely consider the SmittyBilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom