Plexiglass sight glass? Will it work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After calling CruiserDan and confirming an OEM sight glasses for a 9/72 is no longer available, can I make one out of plexiglass as a replacement? Will the gas react with the plexiglass and fail? Other option is obviously make one out of glass.

or buy one from SOR. I think that the gas will eat up the plexiglass over time. look in youtube on glass cutting. you may be able to use a magnifying glass and cut/grind one to size. you should just get one at SOR.

Agree that SOR will probably have one. As well, I suspect all the standard MUD vendors (especially those specializing in carb rebuilds) would have one or could provide a recommendation; or post to the Wanted section.

good luck.

One time on sor i ask for the glass
they give me this. But is plastic!!
I dont need it if you are intrested
IMG_2649.jpg

Jadcruiser I placed an order on SOR last night. If they do not have them I will take you up on it.

"Plexiglass" is not a material. It's a brand name for acrylic. And acrylic probably isn't the greatest to use with gas with the under hood temps it would see. Polycarbonate "Lexan" isn't much better, I wouldn't chance it. The plastic piece in the picture above is probably made from a specifically engineered resin to to resit fuel and heat. Some flavor of Acetal I'll bet

"Plexiglass" is not a material. It's a brand name for acrylic. And acrylic probably isn't the greatest to use with gas with the under hood temps it would see. Polycarbonate "Lexan" isn't much better, I wouldn't chance it. The plastic piece in the picture above is probably made from a specifically engineered resin to to resit fuel and heat. Some flavor of Acetal I'll bet

Right, and I had one carb with a plastic sight glass and it was obviously affected by fuel. Couldn't read anything through it.

Can someone post the OD of the sight glass. If someone has an open carb that they can measure the ID of the carb housing the sight glass is mounted in.

IDK the exact OD, but i can tell you that in a pinch, 3 nickels can be stacked in the sightglass hole and are the same thickness & OD stock.

The pic above shows the 70-73 early plastic sightglass. The 74-newer glass sightglas is backward compatible along with the thinner O-ring. See if they have 74-79 glass or the 80-87 glass available. All are dimensionally the same.

The measurements that I took from the piece that broke were 20mm diameter and 5mm thick. Now this was done with a tape measure and not a caliper.

I did make 2 calls to SOR and one said the newer sight glass would work and the other said it wouldn't. I ordered a used 70-73 sight glass based upon the second call said it wouldn't work and need to get my baby back on the road.

On another note the proper gasket was not available so went to the hardware store and picked up an o-ring from the plumbing section. Not sure if the fuel will react to it so planning to hit the auto parts store to see what they may have that will work.

Please explain the reverse compatible. The first call to SOR said the 74+ sight glass wound gasket would work. I got nervous when the confirmation call said now and a call to CruiserDan also said no. Thanks to all for the assistance. Without this 20mm hole plugged I'm dead in the water.

The hole in the carb body is the same in all 70-92 2bbl Cruiser carbs. Sadly, you have ordered a used, dingy plastic sightglass, when a new glass sightglass that will drop in the hole and last forever is still available.

If the hardware store o-ring is black, it will work fine.

Careful using an o-ring just because it's black. Look for "viton" fluoroelastomer or nitrile "buna". EPDM won't last. All of those materials can be found in "black" o-rings.

General Chemical Resistance Guide

Thanks for all of the information. I just changed my SOR order to a new 74+ sight glass and gasket.

74+ Sight Glass and Gasket Worked

For all those wondering, a carb sight glass and gasket did work in my 9/72 factory carb. Thanks for all of the feedback and information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom