Builds Mission Impossible......My 74 & 76 Build up by a Top Gun Land Cruiser builder :) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey looks good man. Definately coming along. So at this point do you allready have the alum tub?

Eli

no I have not bought it yet, and I dont think I will be able to get it until about June some time. I have the ins. video so I am going off that and seeing what others are doing.... please see my pics I am going to post soon regarding my cowl and tell me what you think.

Just wanted to show you all my fan I got from my dad to exchange the air in the shop... it works good.... I got this installed about 2 weeks ago and have been using it every day as I have been painting the frame and cowl as you will see.... (thanks again Dad!)
IMG_1025.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so here is what I did this weekend.... got alot done... I had a buddy come over saturday morning and help me flip the frame, so I was able to get the rest of the Chassis Black put on the bottom... let it sit over night with the heat on high... ( it was cold as $hit here last few days) then my buddy came over at noon sunday and helped me move the frame outside. as I had to move it outside because I have to work on the cowl and I dont have enough space, so it will have to sit out there until I get the cowl to the body shop.
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1044.jpg

I also wanted to show you guys that I did put a coat of POR 15 on the springs and covered that in Chassis Black (did that on friday night, then CB on sat when I did the rest of the frame)... The springs do have the plastic pieces inbetween each spring... I did not take them apart and do each seperatly... I hope I am not dispointed I did not do that... I dont thing I will be.. well at least it will be better than if I did not do anything at all....

PS yea I hung that spring so you guys could get a good look at my Christina poster! :D
IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg

Now since the frame was outside I was able to start working on the cowl.. I want to get this thing all primed up and ready for paint... I have to bring it to the body shop to get paint on the engine bay and the dash and inside so when I get my engine back I can get it all installed and just have the ouside of this left to paint.. There are a few dents that need to be fixed. One one the outside and one ont the inside on the dash...

I have never never painted anything using a gun and real paint... so I have to admit I was very meak and moved very slowly because I did not know how it would go... :eek: yea I was shaking in my boots...

A pic of my new gun and supplys before I got started..
IMG_1040.jpg

next out about 3 coats of sandable primer ( I am sure it has a different name) on... it went on about as good as the other... I did get one small run when I was trying to get in a corner... nothing I can not fix when I am doing the minor body work I mentioned before...
IMG_1049.jpg
IMG_1051.jpg

ok so here are my questions.... I guess from the alum tub video that I have to grind these joints down to the weld and it should fit up to the cowl tight or with just a small amount of body work or seam sealer... any one know for sure?
IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg

Hey looks good- Yea you have to grind down through thoe welds.. essentially you want it so that you can run your finger down the door jamb and not have it bump over stuff. Be carefull when grinding to not grind too much of the very outer area, beccause it has the welds that hold the side panel on. (once you start grinding and look at it youl probably see what I mean. Also, you might want to grind it down and then primer it like you did to the rest of the cowl..since the front is steel, you dont want to grind it down and leave it bare.

AARG I want to learn to paint so I can just do my own.....on that subject, what finish are you going for for your paint? Show quality...or trail or imbetween (who is doing it, you?) and also, im sure you have seen the lines on the alum tub from the inside welds that have to undergo a generous amount of body work to be smooth...are you doing that yoursself?

Eli

Hey... I am not doing the paint myself... I am having a guy that I know shoot the paint only... I guess I am going for the in between look... I would love to get show qualitly but I dont think that is what I want in the long run as I do want to use this thing and not worry too much...

I have not seen the inside welds do you have pics to show me.... how was the outside lines? is there body work to be done there? I have only really seen the pics you posted on your build and a few others that other people have posted..

Thanks again for your help!

yea I see those.... no I did not know they were that bad... what did you do with yours... I am about the worlds worst body guy but I try my best and I have done worst than that... so guess I will be doing it myself... maybe??

Thanks again!!

Qood questiion...I have the hardtop, and plan to have it on all the time for security purposes (expensive camera equiptment-insurance doesnt cover unless I have a closed vehicle) I actually havent fit it to see. but I know that the aqualu tub does change how it sits compared to factory, If you go to their website it is easier to see than the grainy video, but instead of meeting the edge it actually hangs over. I will be trying to finish my project and find a painter to paint and do the body in a months time, so Ill let you know how the top fits as soon as I put it on (maybe in a few days).

When do you plan to put the tub on?

Eli

If things go as planned I want to get it in June some time... that will be my best case, I guess so you should have yours on by then. I have their video at home and can see that they can get it to fit on there, just dont know anyone who has put one on there for real... take lots of pics and let me know your thoughts...

thanks for your help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom