WagonGear 100 series tailgate lid install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.carapacecampers.com
So,
I received my new 100 series tailgate lid on thursday and am really excited to get rid of my drawers and reclaim my third row!

Here's the step by step install with a few things in RED to note.

Step 1:
Remove your carpet/cover. It just clips right off, grasp the edge and work your way around. Your tailgate won't have the shiny spots, thats some sound deadening I had left over when I did the interior of the truck.

photo41.jpg

Step 2:
Remove the screwed on side covers, unplug the taillight connections, unhook the tailgate latch wired and cut all of the connectors holding the wires to the sheet metal that you are about to cut out.
photo12.jpg

Step 3:
My lid was one of the first so there was no cutting template. (Kevin provides these with his other lids, so I assume they will be forthcoming) I laid out the lid and drew the outline of the opening with a grease pencil (red line)

photo13.jpg

photo33.jpg

Step 4:
Note the stuff under where you are about to cut! There are 3 cross members and 2 pieces of "spring" that are under tension. I chose to use a grinder because I have a good deal of experience with one and it cuts through the sheet like butter (MORE ON THAT SHORTLY)

photo43.jpg

Step 5:
If your lines are drawn and you've checked again to make sure, Cut away! The cross members are deeper than a 5" grinder wheel, so I had to peel the metal back to finish the cuts. THe black rod in the foreground is the spring that assists with the tailgate. I left mine to see if I could figure out how to retain them.

photo24.jpg

photo54.jpg

LOOK HERE
Watch the depth of your grinder when cutting the cross members!

photo15.jpg

OUCH!, Oh yeah, that's all the way through! Fortunately the exterior of my truck is Line-X'd and the cut is behind the tire carrier, a little silicone and I'm good as new... Let my mistake save you some sorrow on your pretty paint job.

photo25.jpg

Step 6:
Slide the lid on and make sure your hole is correct, if not trim a little more. This is where I monkeyed around on extending my tailgate assist system. The solution is going to be to sleeve them. Kevin may come up with something prettier. I tried an old Mag Lite body and settled on chopping up some old mountainbike handlebar and insulating the rattling with some pool noodle.

photo55.jpg

photo26.jpg

Step 7:
Put a little paint on the raw edges, put in some sound deadening material, zip tie all of your wires out of the way and re-connect the harnesses.

photo36.jpg

Step 8:
Put the lid in place and screw it all together. It is pretty obvious as you go around which bolts go where. The long ones on the outside near the latch and no washer in the center bottom :)

photo56.jpg

photo46.jpg

All said and done with no call to Kevin and no instructions, It took me 3 hours start to finish. I could do another in less than 45 minutes. there is a ton of room and I can't wait to start stuffing it. I'm not sure how important it was for me to retain the spring assist on the tailgate, but the bars don't keep me from putting anything in and I can still swing them out of the way and back in if need be.

With this and my storage bumper from BIO, I now have seating for 8 once again and can carry everything but the kitchen sink much more stealthily.

I can't wait for these to be in production. My only concern is that if you have things in there such as tools, that when you lift the gate everything tumbles down. Then there is the noise and rattling.

Looks good! I have an idea for the lift gate spring...but I'll have to test it out on mine once Kevin gets caught up ;)

Looks great!!! I want one.

I would stick to lighter things, Im sure a heavy recovery shackle will put a nasty ding in the sheet metal if you went over a speed bump too fast.

One of the first things I did when I got my 100, was to check to see how much space was in that gate behind the beauty board. Lots!

I see that you dynomatted which would help, but are you concerned about anything rolling around in there denting the exterior sheet metal?

Another nice mod Yeti! You'll soon be out of options for things to do to your 100. What's left?

Everything I load into it is going to ne wrapped to deaden sound and make it al fit tightly so I don't think dents and rattles will be a problem. As far as the load capacity, the sheet metal is the same as the rest of the truck and weight is supported by the side cables. I weigh 250 and crawl on my tailgate all the time, I don't think you can really describe it as "flimsy"?

These lids aren't some crazy new idea, Guys have had them in 80's for years. Sooner or later people will realize that cutting up and modifying your 100 won't make it all fall apart. ;p;p

The first cut, dent or scratch is the hardest but then you can treat the truck as a machine and get the most out of it.

Nice, but does this new storage space really come close to equaling space in a set of drawers. Looks like good supplemental space but not something to use in lieu of drawers? Further, as you point out, it's limited to lighter/smaller items due to it's location in the tail gate.

Nice, but does this new storage space really come close to equaling space in a set of drawers. Looks like good supplemental space but not something to use in lieu of drawers? Further, as you point out, it's limited to lighter/smaller items due to it's location in the tail gate.

Ummm, No, the tailgate does not equal a set of drawers...My bumper is a custom BIO bumper with storage in it as well though. So.... With the tailgate I can put the soft supple stuff in side it and the loud heavy annoying stuff in the bumper.

The tailgate offers additional storage without eating any of the passenger compartment. No matter how much you can get it there, it opens up more space in the truck.

Drawers hold a lot of stuff, Unfortunately, they don't hold kids very securely. I still have the ability to put one of my drawers in next to one of the rear seats if need be, but I also have a HUGE cooler that doesn't like riding on the roofrack :)

Has anybody opened up an 06/07? Great place for recovery straps, plastic flask full of single malt, lighter, flashlight, etc. It is great that so many new storage options are being offered. I will place an order if it works with the newer trucks:cool:

I want it to put a hammock, first aid kit, toilet paper, garbage bags, chemical sticks, rain poncho, survival blanket and a couple MREs along with one of my old Survival Guides, a knife and an e-tool if it will all fit. I figure that is stuff I want with me all the time and most would be quiet in the tailgate.

Brock said:
I want it to put a hammock, first aid kit, toilet paper, garbage bags, chemical sticks, rain poncho, survival blanket and a couple MREs along with one of my old Survival Guides, a knife and an e-tool if it will all fit. I figure that is stuff I want with me all the time and most would be quiet in the tailgate.

MRE's??? You will need more than one roll o toilet paper in the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

LOL.....hell back in the old days (I can say that now that I am retired from military) when the first MREs came out...in dark brown packages they were all dehydrated food except spaghetti, peanut butter, and maybe a couple others...but all the fruit, meats, etc were dehydrated. I would never mix water as I did not want to waste water but would chase it with water while crunching away.

One time in Congo...ate a big MRE with dehydrated pork patty, strawberries, crackers and peanut butter, and I think a chocolate bar. It was hotter than hell there so through day drank about 5 liters of water easily....that evening I was so swollen up from all that food hydrating back...it constipated me for days and blocked me good.

The new ones are very good....compared to those originals. So the new MREs dont affect me at all after cutting my teeth on the original dehydrated versions in 80s. LOL

LOL.....hell back in the old days (I can say that now that I am retired from military) when the first MREs came out...in dark brown packages they were all dehydrated food except spaghetti, peanut butter, and maybe a couple others...but all the fruit, meats, etc were dehydrated. I would never mix water as I did not want to waste water but would chase it with water while crunching away.

One time in Congo...ate a big MRE with dehydrated pork patty, strawberries, crackers and peanut butter, and I think a chocolate bar. It was hotter than hell there so through day drank about 5 liters of water easily....that evening I was so swollen up from all that food hydrating back...it constipated me for days and blocked me good.

The new ones are very good....compared to those originals. So the new MREs dont affect me at all after cutting my teeth on the original dehydrated versions in 80s. LOL
I still have one of those brown bag MRE's in BBQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom