YWST: Low Range T-Case Gear Sets for the 1980-2007 Cruisers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Kurt I sent my VIN plate pics thru to Bryce on the 16th but no response as yet, didn't go to spam or junk because of the file did it ?
Cheers.
VIN.jpg

Hey Kurt I sent my VIN plate pics thru to Bryce on the 16th but no response as yet, didn't go to spam or junk because of the file did it ?
Cheers.View attachment 1687193

Sorry, I've been out of country and completely off the grid for the last month. Was Bryce able to get you an answer? If not let me know and I can look into it Monday back at the shop. Thanks!

Is there a write available anywhere showing the installation of the 10% under gears

There are some Mud threads and I have a pile of pics at the shop. I've been traveling this last month and am not sure if we have more back in stock but they were due mid April so we certainly should.

For you 34mm split t-case owners, we have another new gear offering just about to arrive. It offers a 3.3:1 low range and a 1.1:1 high range. This splits the range on our Sumo 3:1 and 4:1 options. These are available as loose gears, gears and install kits or complete new t-cases too!

We are currently taking back orders on them, call for info :cool:

#settingthestandards

Got my 10% UD gears, thanks Kurt! Will install these with the new low range gears once I get my skid plate from Iron Pig. Want to go under the rig once and be done.

Got my 10% UD gears, thanks Kurt! Will install these with the new low range gears once I get my skid plate from Iron Pig. Want to go under the rig once and be done.

Awesome. Please share some feedback both on the driving conditions but the install too :cool:

Hey Have you had a chance to install these and drive yet?

Not yet, still waiting for my Iron Pig skid. They are supposed to be shipped by the manufacturer in mid July to the vendor so I am assuming August. That places delivery right in the middle of monsoon season down here and in the desert, that is an absolutely miserable time to work on your rig. With the temp not dipping below 90 and the high humidity, it aint happening soon. I want to focus on doing it right instead of just getting it done, so I will probably put off installation till October, maybe November.

Here is another review on our gears post install:
10% underdrive High range installed

I also did both high and low range gears from @cruiseroutfit through @ACC Toyota . I LOVE THE RESULTS! I have stock gears in the pumpkins and run 315s. The truck is a joy to drive now. I had forgotten what it was like to accelerate up hills in high range. Low range is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than it was before.

Oh, and on another note, I was very surprised at the MPG difference. I didn't expect any improvement. Look at my last four fill ups and see if you can see where the dear change happened (you can ignore the EF, that is just my marker that I filled up with Ethanol Free gas). THAT IS A 15% MPG IMPROVEMENT!!!

Oh, and YES, these numbers are adjusted for speedo differences as my totals miles are taken from the GPS, not the odometer.

View attachment 1673566

Awesome. Please share some feedback both on the driving conditions but the install too :cool:

We finished installing on mine the other day. That makes 3 sets total for our group. I'm still playing around and getting the feel for it and will post up some driving impressions after a few more days.

Well after fixing a minor issue with my cruise control cable I was able to finally give the gears an honest evaluation. This morning was the first time I have ever driven my home stretch of I-70 in 4th gear. In 5 years of owning this rig I have never been able to do that. Here are a couple of points.

Noise : Right out of the gate I noticed the TC makes more noise. I noticed @maxtorque rig does the same thing after his swap. It's not overly loud, but I can definitely hear it humming underneath the center console. If you have some decently used mud terrains you probably won't be able to hear it over the noise they make.

In Town : the acceleration is back. It feels a lot closer to a rig with stock tire size then it does a rig with 315's. It's no rocket ship for sure, but you can cruise around town and accelerate from stops better.

Highway : This is where you can really tell the difference and where I was personally hoping to see it. As mentioned above, it's the difference between downshifting to 3rd on every steep grade, and cruising over them in 4th. You can also slowly accelerate uphill in 4th. To me its a comfort thing. I'm more comfortable if my rig isn't banging back and fourth between gears when I'm commuting down the interstate.

Conclusion : For roughly $550 when you include gears, seals, and RTV, it's a no brainer.

Well after fixing a minor issue with my cruise control cable I was able to finally give the gears an honest evaluation. This morning was the first time I have ever driven my home stretch of I-70 in 4th gear. In 5 years of owning this rig I have never been able to do that. Here are a couple of points.

Noise : Right out of the gate I noticed the TC makes more noise. I noticed @maxtorque rig does the same thing after his swap. It's not overly loud, but I can definitely hear it humming underneath the center console. If you have some decently used mud terrains you probably won't be able to hear it over the noise they make.

In Town : the acceleration is back. It feels a lot closer to a rig with stock tire size then it does a rig with 315's. It's no rocket ship for sure, but you can cruise around town and accelerate from stops better.

Highway : This is where you can really tell the difference and where I was personally hoping to see it. As mentioned above, it's the difference between downshifting to 3rd on every steep grade, and cruising over them in 4th. You can also slowly accelerate uphill in 4th. To me its a comfort thing. I'm more comfortable if my rig isn't banging back and fourth between gears when I'm commuting down the interstate.

Conclusion : For roughly $550 when you include gears, seals, and RTV, it's a no brainer.

:cool:

That is a great experience & review. Thanks for sharing!

For you 34mm split t-case owners, we have another new gear offering just about to arrive. It offers a 3.3:1 low range and a 1.1:1 high range. This splits the range on our Sumo 3:1 and 4:1 options. These are available as loose gears, gears and install kits or complete new t-cases too!

We are currently taking back orders on them, call for info :cool:

#settingthestandards

More on these new gears :cool:

3.3:1 Low Range Gear Reduction Set - Split Case 8/1980-4/1986 4x/6x/7x Series
Fits Split-Cases with 34mm* Idler Shaft. Includes replacement input gear, idler gear assembly, idler shaft, idler bearings & thrust washers and high and low speed output shaft gears. Requires minor clearancing to case housing. Factory ratio is ~2.3:1, these 3.3:1 gears offer a ~45% low range reduction and a 10% high range reduction. Made in Japan to OE Toyota specifications.
Part# TCG808633 - $1050.00 - IN STOCK

3.3:1 Low Range Reduction Gear Set- Split Case 4/1986-1/1990 6x/7x Series

Fits Split-Cases with 38mm* Idler Shaft, also fits 1990+ non US 7x/8x split style transfer cases, please call with VIN for verification. Includes replacement input gear, idler gear assembly and high and low speed output shaft gears. Requires minor clearancing to case housing. Factory ratio is ~2.3:1, these 3.3:1 gears offer a 45% low range reduction and a 10% high range reduction. Made in Japan to OE Toyota specifications.
Part# TCG869033 - $950.00 - IN STOCK

Split T-Case Chart.JPG

Last edited:
We shipped a set of the 4:1 split-case gears these to Finland earlier in the year for use in an LJ70. He's happy!

"Test drive done with 35/16R15 boggers. I like (picture attached).
4:1 gears in transfer helps a lot. No need to slow down by slipping the clutch (while keeping the engine rpm high enough).
BR
Tero"

4to1gears.JPG

Dumb question, does the 80 series 10% Overdrive Gear Set replace the transfer case input shaft below? Or do you reuse your old input transfer shaft?

T_Case_Input_Shaft.jpg

Gears only as shown, gear sets are 100% compatible with the OE input shaft.

img_3589-jpg.1615482

TCG9007ODHR Shown

80/100 High Range 10% Overdrive Gear Set - 8x/100 Series Land Cruisers
Fits 1/1990-1/1998 8x Series/LX450 and 98-07 100 Series Land Cruisers/LX470. Fits factory full-time (HF2A/HF2AV) transfer cases found in US Spec and global market Land Cruisers. These gears offer a 10% overdrive in high range, equivalent to converting axle gears from the 4.10 to 3.70 gears without having to do ring & pinion work.
Part# TCG9007ODHR - $495.00 - IN STOCK

80/100 High Range 10% Underdrive Gear Set - 8x/100 Series Land Cruisers
Fits 1/1990-1/1998 8x Series/LX450 and 98-07 100 Series Land Cruisers/LX470. Fits factory full-time (HF2A/HF2AV) transfer cases found in US Spec and global market Land Cruisers. These gears offer a 10% underdrive in high range, equivalent to converting axle gears from the 4.10 to 4.56 gears without having to do ring & pinion work.
Part# TCG9007UDHR - $495.00 - IN STOCK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom