Xtreme Storage for the 80

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I've fought with storage for my 80 for a while. Boxes, Labrak shelf, tailgate ideas, but none really address my needs. While a simple drawer system seemed like the right answer at one point I quickly realized that it's just a drawer. And once you put anything on top of it, it will go flying in an accident.

So I've gone about a new idea for storage that simply integrates 2 ideas that I've taken from others and began over engineering them to have a rock solid platform and storage solution.

My idea, use the depth to the back seat, about 11" high and build sturdy single drawer system with a 250 pound drawer capacity, and 300 pound platform capacity that will extend almost all the way out. Doing that while keeping the platform light, rigid, and solidly in place.

Next, extend the back of the platform up to roof height or 1/2 height as desired and allow for additional storage of 220 pounds of items in a compartmentalized fashion. Make this section easily removable while not needed or while camping. Again making it rigid, solid, light, with maximum storage. Still making it possible to see out the rear if desired and yet protecting you from flying objects in an accident.

Next make the platform in a manner that allows you to secure anything to the top of the platform using recessed tiedowns that are easily movable.

Yea, sounds like a task that I'm up for. Here is the first design concept.

XtremeStorage.PNG

I have a friend who is a carpenter making my drawers as we speak, I need a modular type system. When doing weekends on my own or with a friend I need just a couple of drawers and the fridge. Other sections can be added if my trip is to be any longer. I would love one of the outback units or something similar, but given I have spent about three years budget in one year I cannot justify it over forthcoming front axle rebuild.

That construction looks neat and tidy, so keep up the ideas, I might shamelessly steal them ;)

regards

Dave

Last edited:
:popcorn:

I have a friend who is a carpenter making my drawers as we speak, I need a modular type system. When doing weekends on my own or with a friend I need just a couple of drawers and the fridge. Other sections can be added if my trip is to be any longer. I would love one of the outback units or something similar, but given I have spent about three years budget in one year I cannot justify it over forthcoming front axle rebuild.

So keep up the ideas, I might shamelessly steal them ;)

regards

Dave

It's not stealing if you have permission :)

I started doing everything in wood, 3/4" plywood but damn it was getting heavy quick. It wasn't modular so if I wanted to change it or add to it I couldn't easily. That's reason 217 that I went with a modular style system.

I even considered going with a geared drawer system but I've moved away from that idea.

Permission accepted! :beer:

When I popped into the garage/workshop this morning 'Peter' was making up the sides of the fridge cabinet with runners. He is using 1/2 finish ply (whatever that is?) for the cabinet. The fridge will be sat on a platform that slides on Formica between two battens, unsure if it will work. Looks good and strong and I will be covering it with the same material used for speaker cabinets.

The drawers are made of thinner ply, this is set in 6x1 sides, see I am getting all the technical terms right...I think? Get back when I know more of his plans.

regards

Dave

Progress?

Yep the first 'modules' were finished bar the covering material just before October last year, sorry I had been updating via My LC 80 thread.

The first two modules consisted of one which is a set of three drawers, the lowest being quite deep presently holds the recovery gear, chains, bow shackles, tow straps and so forth, so heaviest gear lower down. Further up, jump leads, tool rolls, top drawer has other odds and ends.

The other cabinet holds the fridge, it has one sliding shelf that the fridge is strapped to, no clever fridge slides, Formica strips on the wooden runners, I nearly lost the fridge after parking on a slope and grabbing a coke the home made slides are that good, only a club members quick reactions stopped the whole caboodle going off down the mountain.

When the two rearmost seats are removed the two cabinets fit side by side, then two ratchet straps go over the top and connect to the seat mounts, they never moved. The trip last weekend saw just the drawer unit fitted central at the rear, the seats were left in place and the bars towards the centre of the floor that the seats hook into when dropped down now had the cabinet strapped to them, so one or two modules I can fitted either or both and they are all easily secured. The next module will be for the centre area and will only be used when the centre seats are removed, this will have trail spares, the last trip had them in a large plastic box, not elegant but did the job.

Regards

Dave

The inginuity of the Mud community is outstanding and I enjoy watching these great ideas come to fruition. I like the idea of drawers and such but I use my 80 for different purposes which require vastly different configurations so I have opted to stick with the milk crate sort of method due to its no nonsense, modular nature. :D

Last edited:
Someone needs to build a modular milk-crate sliding tray system

Someone needs to build a modular milk-crate sliding tray system
Don't laugh I have seen many rolling Modular Milk-crate storage systems in the movie industry.

Has anyone adapted the fold down mechanism for the third row seats to support a temporary platform that could fold up against the sides when not in use? I think this would have the advantages of a secure locking mechanism, ability to have a split platform when needed, and easy removal when not in use.

I have a trashed spare set of third row seats and exploring this idea is somewhere on my long term "to-do" list.

Has anyone adapted the fold down mechanism for the third row seats to support a temporary platform that could fold up against the sides when not in use? I think this would have the advantages of a secure locking mechanism, ability to have a split platform when needed, and easy removal when not in use.

I have a trashed spare set of third row seats and exploring this idea is somewhere on my long term "to-do" list.

No but I've seen people use it as the base of their platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom