Wiring diagram for Installing new wiring harness in ‘72 FJ40 with Chevy 350? (1 Viewer)

I’m restoring a 1972 FJ40 with my son and the old wiring harness was like a rat’s nest with the previous owner taking a lot of short cuts. We put in a new wiring harness from JT Outfitters today and have all of the wires run but unfortunately did not take enough pictures of how the ignition group was wired to the Chevy 350 and now am guessing as to how to get everything wired correctly. Does anyone know of a diagram that shows how to correctly connect the JT Outfitters harness to the Chevy 350?

Thanks in advance! New to the forum and my first post...although I have been reading a good bit.

I’m restoring a 1972 FJ40 with my son and the old wiring harness was like a rat’s nest with the previous owner taking a lot of short cuts. We put in a new wiring harness from JT Outfitters today and have all of the wires run but unfortunately did not take enough pictures of how the ignition group was wired to the Chevy 350 and now am guessing as to how to get everything wired correctly. Does anyone know of a diagram that shows how to correctly connect the JT Outfitters harness to the Chevy 350?

Thanks in advance! New to the forum and my first post...although I have been reading a good bit.

Hi,
It’s been a while since I did mine. I don’t have the JT outfitters one but it looks very similar to the Painless wiring that I installed. I was able to make it work fine through a lot of trial and error. Biggest lesson I had was to make sure I had a ground for all the lighting. Also ground for battery is from the engine, but others have it from the chassis. When I get a chance I will take pictures. Also know that I’m still using original Toyota alternator.
Good Luck!
RobQ

I do not have specific info for the JT outfitters harness as I just used an EZ Wire for my FJ 40 with a 350. I can post up the notes and drawings I made for my EZ Harness a little later today too when I get my hands on it. I kept track of what wire does what off of the factory column/ignition plug and tied that into my EZ Harness. It was fairly straight forward once I figured out which wire did what off of the key.

Dynosoar

Slightly Disturbed
SILVER Star
B-Y to + side of coil
B-W to Starter
Y-G to coolant sender (you have to use Toyota sender on the Chevy engine)
Y-B to oil press sender

You are done (except alternator)

Dyno

Hi,
It’s been a while since I did mine. I don’t have the JT outfitters one but it looks very similar to the Painless wiring that I installed. I was able to make it work fine through a lot of trial and error. Biggest lesson I had was to make sure I had a ground for all the lighting. Also ground for battery is from the engine, but others have it from the chassis. When I get a chance I will take pictures. Also know that I’m still using original Toyota alternator.
Good Luck!
RobQ
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom