Windshield Wiper Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluehawk

Appalachia Cruisers
Threads
After getting everything back together on the 60, I have no functioning windshield wiper. When I turn them on, I can hear the motor and it sounds I can hear it wanting to move the arms but they don't move. Any ideas on what to do or look for?

Sounds like maybe the linkage is seized or being inhibited maybe? Can you take the motor off and see if it runs without the linkage? New linkage is still available if that is the problem.

Sounds like maybe the linkage is seized or being inhibited maybe? Can you take the motor off and see if it runs without the linkage? New linkage is still available if that is the problem.
This or see if the linkage is binding somewhere.

I pulled the motor today. Had my daughter turn the switch on to see if the motor was working. No go on it, there is a sound under the dash near the steering column. Is there a relay or something in there?

I pulled the motor today. Had my daughter turn the switch on to see if the motor was working. No go on it, there is a sound under the dash near the steering column. Is there a relay or something in there?
There is a wiper relay, maybe someone with a 60 can find a pic of theirs?

Keep in mind the motor has to have that ground wire grounded to function. Make sure you ground it when testing. Then make sure the wiper arms move easily to confirm linkage is not the issue.

Make sure the harness at base of steering column is plugged in all the way. When I got my 60 in 1999 the wipers would not always work, one day on I5 they stopped working when dumping rain. Pulled over.....and pushed the plug in till it clicked......had perfect wipers ever sense.

Okay here is what I found. Crawled under the dash and turned on the wipers to intermittent position. The buzzing and squealing was this little guy
IMG_20170120_172742903.jpg
IMG_20170120_172734644.jpg
IMG_20170120_172753789.jpg

Wiper control relay???? None of the other positions work; low or high position

Did you make sure you grounded the ground strap on the wiper motor to the car when checking functionality?

If relay is plugged in, wiper motor is plugged in, and ground strap grounded and no power you will have to go deeper into diagnosis.

Next check is to get a voltmeter and measure power at the plug. See if you can get 12v at one of the poles. If you can, then you can most likely assume the motor is dead.

If no power at the plug, you can check the relay and replace with known good unit or test input of 12v at relay and output of 12v out of relay. If power exists in/out of relay, then possible broken wiring.

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic for either, but with a voltmeter and two probes, you can find voltage if it exists.

Last edited:
Did you make sure you grounded the ground strap on the wiper motor to the car when checking functionality?

If relay is plugged in, wiper motor is plugged in, and ground strap grounded and no power you will have to go deeper into diagnosis.

Next check is to get a voltmeter and measure power at the plug. See if you can get 12v at one of the poles. If you can, then you can most likely assume the motor is dead.

If no power at the plug, you can check the relay and replace with known good unit or test input of 12v at relay and output of 12v out of relay. If power exists in/out of relay, then possible broken wiring.

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic for either, but with a voltmeter and two probes, you can find voltage if it exists.

Thanks for the information. I will check this after the trail ride this weekend.

I had the same problem on my 84 FJ60. The relay squealed and the wipers didn't work. Got another relay and it fixed the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom