Windshield Replacement (1 Viewer)

Just removed the broken windshield glass with the frame off the vehicle. I have a few questions:
1. Although it's broken it's still in one piece. Should I keep it for a template?
2. What can I expect to pay for a custom cut piece?
3. The gasket is still semi-soft. Any issues in reusing it?

Also, check out this sticker that was on the broken factory Toyota windshield. Was that a sticker on a new vehicle or a replacement windshield? just curious...

20201015_181725.jpg

20201015_182725.jpg

brian

SILVER Star

cracked is fine for a template
125-150 for new glass cut.
there is no good reason to resuse the gasket, if it's not completely soft.

Jdc1

SILVER Star

We just got a quote today for $170. There are two variations of the 2 piece gasket, I think the cutoff is 1975?

Krondor

SILVER Star
I just had a new windshield cut and installed by a local guy for $180. I used the template from SOR since I didn't have a windshield to work from. I also used the gasket form SOR. The guy made it look easy to install and didn't have any issues.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star

Local glass guy replicated my cracked one for around $ 150. The original rubber seal was in good shape, so I reused it. No leaks or issues several years later.

Thanks for the responses. Got one cut from local glass shop $169.

Does anyone have hands-on experience installing the windshield with an aftermarket gasket vs a Toyota gasket? (CCOT has the reproduction for half cost of the factory one.)

brian

SILVER Star

their soft parts are junk....if you are not buying sheet metal, you're better off shopping else where.

That Made in Japan sticker is on my driver side door window. I assume it was on there from the factory. I bought a Toyota windshield and re-used my gasket when I replaced mine.

I had a replacement windshield cut for mine a couple years ago. I was happy with it until last week when I tried to remove the glass for blasting and paint. I got a little excited on how easily it was coming out and broke the glass. That was obviously my fault, but the concerning part is how it broke- lots of really sharp shards. I'm going to pony up for a laminated windshield when its time to replace it. I would shutter to think what had happened in an accident or good sized rock had hit the windshield at highway speed. Just my two cents.

Yes, that's crazy dangerous. Around here I'm pretty sure laminated glass is a legal requirement. I'm surprised whoever cut it for you didn't insist on that.

I had a replacement windshield cut for mine a couple years ago. I was happy with it until last week when I tried to remove the glass for blasting and paint. I got a little excited on how easily it was coming out and broke the glass. That was obviously my fault, but the concerning part is how it broke- lots of really sharp shards. I'm going to pony up for a laminated windshield when its time to replace it. I would shutter to think what had happened in an accident or good sized rock had hit the windshield at highway speed. Just my two cents.
Was the glass you had cut not laminated?

glass.jpg

Obviously, I need to do more research. I had a couple irons in fire at the time and assumed the pros at the glass shop would steer me right. From the recent research I did I was under the assumption that laminated glass cant be cut. Is this not true?

Obviously, I need to do more research. I had a couple irons in fire at the time and assumed the pros at the glass shop would steer me right. From the recent research I did I was under the assumption that laminated glass cant be cut. Is this not true?
I've read that tempered glass can't be cut but laminated safety glass can.

This must of been what I was thinking of, sorry for the confusion. Called around for a local shop an he said he could do it for under $200. Thanks for setting me straight on this issue- I was going to order it from Cruiser Corps for ~$250.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom