Windshield/Door/Hood hinge pin and door pin refurbish (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So this is what I have come up with for the earlier style 2 ear hood hinge. Each side of the hinge has to be reamed. The side with the pin is a pressed fit and is now part of the hinge on that side. I didn’t put a shoulder bolt on that side because it doesn’t really need one though it may look more symmetrical if you decide it looks better.

The side with the bushings has been reamed for a nice snug fit.

My only concern is, this design is much tighter than the original OEM design and has no side to side play. Because of this, I am worried it may be hard to line up the bolt holes on the cowl and hood.

These were done on my mill and were stepped up 3 different times to allow the reamer to follow the original bore.

Let me know your thoughts.

E2278AC8-A4E6-492E-9194-24A0767BD1F8.jpeg

7754EAD7-71F8-4690-8935-C5CC147E2BAC.jpeg

CD24D63B-3149-40FA-938A-3D2C3334F22D.jpeg

EA8B44A0-74AE-40CF-BA13-82DF9C4571E9.jpeg

439D1C8F-A1DA-4B4C-992F-AA2C27465EDF.jpeg

Interesting. How deep do the threads go? Now that I’m looking at the pin, and thinking about the load that it gets subjected to (at least on my 45!), I’m wondering how a hollow pin will hold up in the long run?

The threads are only as deep as the bolt threads. About .400”
I really don’t see this being an issue, especially once you apply the thread locker.

So these would not be field installable, Steve? As most of us don't have a way to ream them accurately? (I know I don't.)

I'm wondering if the bolt is even needed. If you installed one with the pin side on the hood and the other with the pin side on the cowl, it couldn't go anywhere. And by not bolting the hinges together it might ease the installation some.

Reactions: SMG
So these would not be field installable, Steve? As most of us don't have a way to ream them accurately? (I know I don't.)

I'm wondering if the bolt is even needed. If you installed one with the pin side on the hood and the other with the pin side on the cowl, it couldn't go anywhere. And by not bolting the hinges together it might ease the installation some.

For the older 2 ear hood hinge, it probably would be best just to send them to me.

You are correct, you really don’t need the bolts. Maybe just to keep the outer bushing
from walking out over the years.

A longer bushing from the inside would be the best solution with no shoulder bolts.

Thanks for the ideal

For the older 2 ear hood hinge, it probably would be best just to send them to me.

You are correct, you really don’t need the bolts. Maybe just to keep the outer bushing
from walking out over the years.

A longer bushing from the inside would be the best solution with no shoulder bolts.

Thanks for the ideal
You are welcome. The better we can make them, the better for my rig!

Solid pin with no bolt head would look essentially stock. But would be a vast improvement over stock.

U could always use a button head allen to mimic stock pins.
These early hinges originally had no heads on the pins at all. (Or so I believe.) So using a press fit solid pin on one half with a bushing pressed from the center on the other half would be closest to stock look.

It'd be a slightly different look, but what about a pressed in bolt with exposed threads after the bushings and then an acorn nut (or equivalent closed nut). Either with a shoulder for it to bottom out on or have it bottom out inside the 'nut'. The pin wouldn't be hollow and would therefore be stronger.

That would work too. But mounting one each way requires no fastener at all, allows a solid pin and keeps a nearly stock look. Strong, simple and stock-looking. No need to go beyond that. IMO, of course.

Reactions: SMG
Pm'd you for a repair like Mark's.

we can take out the bolt and remove the hood easier? That seems like a win !

Looking for a set of the hood and door hinge pins. Any in stock?

Not sure what ever happened with this. My hood is more sideways than ever, and I'm going back out to Death Valley next month. Would really like to have this resolved.

That would work too. But mounting one each way requires no fastener at all, allows a solid pin and keeps a nearly stock look. Strong, simple and stock-looking. No need to go beyond that. IMO, of course.
Turns out that mounting one each way doesn't help. Still comes apart the same way, slides to one side.

I'm probably out of this deal, I sourced a better pair of hinges that don't come apart (yet). They have been painted to match by now.

Finally got my early hood hinges off and now need to figure out a solution. Anyone have one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom