Windshield/Door/Hood hinge pin and door pin refurbish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steve

This is what I am up against. Haven’t even left the pavement yet

44F924C7-B4C7-43DE-A5D3-39DE2288660F.jpeg

/hijack

Hi Mark - are those hood vents for air for motor or cooling?

/no-more-jack

Mark,

I’m still not sure what to do with this older style hinge.

Maybe, make a pin set that is slightly longer than the two hinge pieces (without bushings). Make it so it tightens against the pins and not the hinge itself. Just seems like it would have too much forward and aft movement.

Maybe I’m reading to much into it. I just don’t care for the way it was designed.

You could always swap over to the later three ear hinge. :bang:

Mark,

I’m still not sure what to do with this older style hinge.

Maybe, make a pin set that is slightly longer than the two hinge pieces (without bushings). Make it so it tightens against the pins and not the hinge itself. Just seems like it would have too much forward and aft movement.

Maybe I’m reading to much into it. I just don’t care for the way it was designed.

You could always swap over to the later three ear hinge. :bang:

I understand. I dared to dream this could work for the early hinges, mostly because it’s in keeping with the overall field utility of the early rigs. I have FST door hinges on the 45 already so I can pull them easier when I’m inclined. A SMG hood hinge would have been icing on the cake.

@middlecalf , the louvers on the truck were put there by the PO, along with a boat hood ornament drilled THROUGH the hood spear. :eek: I started prepping another hood right away.

That was a long time ago.

Mark,

After taking a closer look at your earlier model hood hinge, it looks like this type of hinge never had bushings. This is probably why Toyota went with the 3 ear style with bushings because the 2 ear were prone to wearing out.

As you can tell from both pictures, the bores are not big enough to install the later style bushings and it would not be cost effective to try and bore each hinge to except bushings.

Let me know your thoughts,

View attachment 1628406
View attachment 1628407
What I would do if it were me for these old style hinges is this: Supply a pin that's bigger than the original. Have the owner diy drill out one piece of each pair big enough to accept a bushing. The bushing would go into that. Their would have to be a L and R side so that when both are bolted down the two pairs of hinges hold everything together and the hood doesn't slide off to one side. For the other hinge piece of each pair have the owner diy drill it out to be able to press fit the supplied larger pin. A larger pin would ensure any hinge wear is simply drilled out. Hope that makes sense. Just supply the bushings, pins, and instructions on drilling and drill bit size.

I emailed SMG to suggest this. It doesn’t help me sell Quik Hinges, but it serves a need that a lot of us want for better good hinges. Ask him.

Sorry about the plug for my stuff. Has some rum with mama...
Yea so if u look at the above pic of mark's if he flipped the driver side hinge around then the driver and passenger side would capture the hood if bushings were installed.

if you do make some for the ambulance doors i will definitely buy a set for everything. just not quite ready on my project for them so i won’t rush in quite yet. love these ideas guys.

if you do make some for the ambulance doors i will definitely buy a set for everything. just not quite ready on my project for them so i won’t rush in quite yet. love these ideas guys.

I am planning on it, just been so busy with everything else and trying to work on my own rig. :bang:

lol. totally get it. i’ve got three projects that aren’t getting finished because i can’t dedicate time to just one. i can’t imaging trying to build stuff for other people too!

i bought a set of them all today. looking forward to getting them installed but that’ll likely be a year away or more the rate im moving. these should correct
my sloppy hinges though and that makes me happy!!

i bought a set of them all today. looking forward to getting them installed but that’ll likely be a year away or more the rate im moving. these should correct
my sloppy hinges though and that makes me happy!!

Don’t feel bad. I tried to design myself some Jeep-like removable door hinges about 7 yrs ago and still don’t have them on my 40 even though a lot of other people do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom