Window power without key on made EZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah That's what I figured. It is a 75mo. megatron 700 cca, but I really rode the thing hard and put it away wet. (stereo on all night numerous times, headlights on with truck turned off etc.) It took a full charge and is working well now, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time
I'm shopping for new battery right now

Does the Costco in Kona carry batteries, if so that would be a good choice. Best return policy anywhere.

Great mod phil! I was really enjoying the results...but then my TVSS (Toyota Vehicle Security System) became disabled.:bang:
I double checked to see if it was something else, but, unfortunately, the power for the remote lock/unlock circuit also runs thru that relay. I tried to make a different configuration of jumper to power the TVSS as well, but blew a 30 amp fmx fuse. It's the one that feeds "Floor Power". That means power seats. I never needed a spare so, don't carry any. Called Napa, and they want $6.49 for one.:eek:
So, just a caveat for those of you with a 95, or a TVSS, or both.
I guess I'll have to try the method posted earlier, using the always hot, rather than the switched hot in the door switch panel.
Let me know if there's another workaround.:meh:

Great mod phil! I was really enjoying the results...but then my TVSS (Toyota Vehicle Security System) became disabled.:bang:
I double checked to see if it was something else, but, unfortunately, the power for the remote lock/unlock circuit also runs thru that relay. I tried to make a different configuration of jumper to power the TVSS as well, but blew a 30 amp fmx fuse. It's the one that feeds "Floor Power". That means power seats. I never needed a spare so, don't carry any. Called Napa, and they want $6.49 for one.:eek:
So, just a caveat for those of you with a 95, or a TVSS, or both.
I guess I'll have to try the method posted earlier, using the always hot, rather than the switched hot in the door switch panel.
Let me know if there's another workaround.:meh:

Correct me if wrong, if you pull the jumper your TVSS should work properly? Sounds like you need to get your power for your TVSS from a switched power source. The constant hot is what the TVSS in your case does not like.

Correct me if wrong, if you pull the jumper your TVSS should work properly? Sounds like you need to get your power for your TVSS from a switched power source. The constant hot is what the TVSS in your case does not like.
I believe you are correct phil...what year is your rig, and do you have a TVSS?

I believe you are correct phil...what year is your rig, and do you have a TVSS?

Mine is a '96 with alarm but not TVSS. Because they were said to be port installed I wonder if they just grabbed different power then others on your installation. Guessing you are not the only one with TVSS I cant offer a good explanation why you are having a problem.

Mine is a '96 with alarm but not TVSS. Because they were said to be port installed I wonder if they just grabbed different power then others on your installation. Guessing you are not the only one with TVSS I cant offer a good explanation why you are having a problem.
Thanks Phil...scratchin my head here...since yours isn't a port wired unit, I wonder...is anyone else who has done the mod in question, and who has a TVSS on a 95-97 rig, having any trouble with the remote door lock function?:bang:
I'll pursue the "constant hot door switch" workaround, but just curious.:hmm:

I just joined my accessory activated power cable to the always on power cable in the door.
Where exactly did you "join" the wires, and how?
Was it inside the body of the door, or in the drivers door switch panel in the armrest. Did you use a "Scotch-Lok" and just bite in to the power, or, could you be specific as to your procedure, and what year is your rig? Thanks.:cheers:

I'll try it in a week

I have the TVSS and would like to do this mod. I am out of town for another week, but when I return, I'll check mine out.
Side note though:
PO of my rig had a crud aftermarket key fob system put in on top of the TVSS. I suppose they lost a fob or two. I yanked all of that stuff out, bought refurbished key fobs, programmed them and all the locks work and lights work when truck is locked/unlocked, but the chirper doesn't function.
Been driving me nuts:bang:, so I have to get into that panel anyhow.
Point is; mine might not function either.
Wouldn't it or couldn't it be a matter of where they (TVSS installer) stole power from?

I tried this mod but have a Gentex auto dimming mirror and radar detector hooked up to the sunroof power feed, this was a bit too much draw for my liking. I ended up using a window lock switch from a 2000 celica to energize the window circuit without the key in the ignition. I thought there might be backfeed issues jumping power from one leg to the other but so far no ill effects. I did have to trim the relay housing a little to make room for the wires, but that was it.
image-2823600118.jpg
image-2577590439.jpg
image-3156511241.jpg
image-2304702809.jpg
image-932175195.jpg

superjuice said:
I tried this mod but have a Gentex auto dimming mirror and radar detector hooked up to the sunroof power feed, this was a bit too much draw for my liking. I ended up using a window lock switch from a 2000 celica to energize the window circuit without the key in the ignition. I thought there might be backfeed issues jumping power from one leg to the other but so far no ill effects. I did have to trim the relay housing a little to make room for the wires, but that was it.

Wait what is that switch used for ? The one with the window icon and the "X"

Edit: never mind. Figured it out.

Last edited:
Just wondering...but I assume those of you who are doing this mod aren't worried that a coat hanger can now roll down your window(s) and allow someone to get whatever they see, without setting the alarm off?

Just wondering...but I assume those of you who are doing this mod aren't worried that a coat hanger can now roll down your window(s) and allow someone to get whatever they see, without setting the alarm off?

1 How would the thief know you had the window mod

2 A thief in todays market would not waste the time and just break your window.

3 Its very easy to go into the back slider with or without the mod

4 Try the coat hanger and see if its even possible

If the coat hanger works, then there is no need to pay for broken window. Another bonus of this mod.

I like the ease of the mod and yes, no one will know you have it, but I will not be performing it personally. I just wanted to list a few reasons that this mod may not be for everyone.
Another also includes any pets you have in the car that may like to stand on the arm rests/buttons.

I do like the idea of having the override switch though. That at least allows you to use it when you feel the need, such as camping in the rig, without keeping the keys in the ignition.

It might be nice to come up with a mod that results in what they call "Residual Accessory Power" in some more recent vehicles.

In my 2003 VW, the windows keep working for a while after the key is removed. Unless you open a door, then they aren't powered anymore.

For my stereo in the VW, I tapped the key sense wire to control on/off of the stereo head unit. From the time the key is switched to "on" until the key is removed, the stereo is powered. Even switched "off".

So, yeah, a delay of up to a minute since the key is removed would be a neat more-complex version of this.

Yeah, I'd rather keep the relay in the equation as well :hmm:

I've actually been thinking about using a timer relay and a momentary switch to activate the accessory circuit temporarily :idea:

I'm already using a couple in my dual battery system as well as my surveillance system and they work great :)

ALTRONIX6062.jpg

Got a whole box of these things too :grinpimp:

You know you can buy time-delay relays, right?

[strike]Do you have a source for another switch?:idea:

PM me[/strike]

EDIT - Found one:clap:

Last edited:
mod is only working for my drivers window and sunroof.

Did the mod and now it only works for my drivers front window and sunroof. All other windows wont work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom