Winch challenge project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update.

I removed the original DG diesel motor. The buyer of the motor came and picked it up on Sunday.

I started stripping the cab down so it will fit in the shed once I can clean enough of a space for it. I'm also putting up a 3m x 3m garden shed to try and solve my space problems.

I removed the mirrors, bullbar, exhaust, grill, radiator and radiator support.

Hopefully I'll have the shed erected in the next couple of weeks and I'll be able to get stuck into the project for real.

At the moment I'm still looking for cheap Hilux axles and Land Rover T/case.

I'll try to keep you all updated as the project progresses. I'll take a few more pics when the shed is a bit tidier and you can see more than just ****.

I actually noticed there is a Land Rover wreckers in Hervey Bay when we were up there whale watching a few weeks back but I'm sure you already know that!

I'll be heading up that way in the next couple of weeks to give the new Troopy a run on Fraser. My mate with the Rangie wants to tow his POS caravan, (which is actually really cool because it cost him $500!), up the bay side to Wooralie Ck from the barge at moon point. Some real soft spots on that stretch of beach so we'll need the two cars and snatch-em for sure! Will be fun getting it across Kooringal Ck (sp?) too!!

Lup:)

I actually noticed there is a Land Rover wreckers in Hervey Bay when we were up there whale watching a few weeks back but I'm sure you already know that!

I'll be heading up that way in the next couple of weeks to give the new Troopy a run on Fraser. My mate with the Rangie wants to tow his POS caravan, (which is actually really cool because it cost him $500!), up the bay side to Wooralie Ck from the barge at moon point. Some real soft spots on that stretch of beach so we'll need the two cars and snatch-em for sure! Will be fun getting it across Kooringal Ck (sp?) too!!

G'day Lup

There is actually about three Land Rover wreckers in Hervey Bay. But they charge like a wounded bull as there is a huge demand for the stuff in Hervey Bay to maintain all the hire vehicles. Getting hold of a T/case isn't a drama it's getting one without remortaging the house is the hard bit.

Have fun on Fraser Is when you come up. I have only driven from Woralie Ck to Wathumba Ck along the western beach before but not south of Woralie Ck. It is a top run along the western beach. You are right about the soft spots, it's full of them. Watch out for the darker patches of sand, they usually hide rotting seaweed, very soft. I never recommend anybody towing anything on Fraser Is. I've pulled out and repaired too many stranded vehicles from there over the years. Many people do tow over there but I don't recommend it. Was it Coongul Ck you were thinking of? It is usually the deepest of the creek crossings on the western beach. I've never driven across it(the hire vehicles aren't allowed on the western side) but it can be an adventure at times. The last time I was up that way fishing in the boss' boat (about two months ago) Coongul Ck looked pretty shallow but it can change quickly.

Yes Coongul is the one. i knew I got it wrong but I have always said it Kooringal! We were talking to some locals when we were last up there and just about needed a translator because we'd been pronouncing things differently for years without hearing how they are supposed to sound!

If you source any cheaper parts from down Brisbane way and would like me to bring them up just shoot me a PM. I'd be only too happy do it no trouble. There's a whole lot of room in the new truck!

Thanks for the offer Lup:cheers:

I bought the latest OBC DVD earlier this week and have been watching it intently trying to scrutinise all the DNFs and winch sections to see if I can work out what has caused the problems. Hopefully this will help me not to make the same mistakes with vehicle set up.

My observations so far have reinforced my thoughts that lightweight is the way to go. The speed of the stages this year seem to be higher and the vehicles seem to be getting a lot more air. If the rig is lighter the suspension won't have to cop as much of a hiding on the landings to the jumps. The winch stages seem to be harder too. My theory is the for the same size winch the lighter vehicle won't stress the winch as much.

To build the vehicle to be competitive certain items have to be used that I can't lighten but some things I can. Tyres and rims I can't but the actual base vehicle I can. This was one of the reasons behind my wanting to use the Daihatsu.

I've also been thinking of how I want to set up the winch.

My current plan is
- Centre mounted PTO winch
- Cable run to a pulley/snatch block at the rear then forward to a hawse fairlead at the front.
- Cables run in tubes to protect the cable
- Door/window in the rear of the Ute cab to allow the driver to see/access the drum
- Rear pulley can be disconnected to allow a rear double line pull winch
- Having the PTO centre mounted will improve the approach angle
- Having an electric winch as a backup in case of roll overs/broken winch/etc

Questions.
How will plasma rope go running through the tubes?
Will mud and dirt clog up the tube and abrade the rope?
Would just a couple of eyelets be better to run the rope through?
Would the Door/Window be a good idea or just an access hatch in the tray?
Do any of you guys have any other thoughts on the subject?

search for a thread by andrewfarmer, he did a PTO centre winch on his BJ40, simple and effective. I might copy his design one day :D

Will mud and dirt clog up the tube and abrade the rope?

yes .. with time. so maybe a little more sooner that in normal condition of dust, water, mud and sun.

Do any of you guys have any other thoughts on the subject?

Plastic tubes maube and just maybe are better to run the rope ..

The 'Ibex' (based on Landy running gear) here in the UK features a centre mounted winch - details here

http://www.4wdonline.com/Foers/Winch.html

hope this helps !

Thanks for the link Matt.:cheers:

This is the type of setup I was thinking of.

Now I'm going to have to do a bit more research on the Foers Ibex.

I've seen them before competing in the Outback Challenge, nice trucks.:cool:

search for a thread by andrewfarmer, he did a PTO centre winch on his BJ40, simple and effective. I might copy his design one day :D

Thanks for the link denis.:cheers:

This is the way I want to do this with the PTO.

I haven't measured mine up yet as I don't have the T/case or the PTO yet but how I was thinking of doing it was to mount the PTO a little closer to the T/case than Andrewfarmers but it will depend on how it all works out as to if I do it his way or the way I originally thought.

My main reason to go closer to the T/case was to make it easier to access/see from the cab through the "door/window". Although if the door doesn't work out I'll set it back so that I can access it from the tray area.

yes .. with time. so maybe a little more sooner that in normal condition of dust, water, mud and sun.

Plastic tubes maube and just maybe are better to run the rope ..

Tapage, this was my way of thinking too. I think in the long run the tubes will prove to be a trap for mud and dirt which will abrade the synthetic rope I want to run. Although if they aren't in a tube of some sort the cable will be open to damage from sticks, rocks, grease, oil, etc.

Running steel cable will lessen these problems but I want to keep on the good side of my navi. I don't want him to have a heartattack trying to haul out the cable up a hill.

Just finished reading Andrewfarmers ROTW thread.:cool: One of my other ideas for my rig was to set up a fiddle brake/cutting brake system similar to his. Or like the Haultech Traction Control System.

This is the Ibex that I remember from the OBC. There was another one in the OBC but this one was the coolest.

7f062.jpg

The ibex setup. I don't remember where I saved those pics from...
BTW I have met John Foers, the Ibex man in person. Great engineer and friendly person. :)
IMG_2034 (Small).JPG
IMG_2035 (Small).JPG
art13.jpg

Last edited:
I don't want him to have a heartattack trying to haul out the cable up a hill.

:grinpimp:

I thought wash with water, plastic tubes ( PVC ) with the syntc rope inside is more easy than do the same thing with metal tubes .. ( rust . ..? )

yep .. plastic tubes .. less secure, but less weight.

The lower thermal conductivity of plastic may eventually melt the rope and/ or the tube if you winch a long time at high speeds ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom