will a 95-97 exhaust fit on a 94? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 and am getting a lot of rattle and noise from the cat. I figure some time in the future i will be needing a exhaust. I dont want anything loader and i am very happy with the quality of the OEM system. The only down side is the price.

I know somebody that has a almost new down pipe on a parts truck but it is for the 95-97. What i was thinking was to maybe use that with newer style cats that gets them up and out of the way in compassion to the 94. then i am hoping that the 95-97 cats will bolt to my OEM muffler and tail pipe.

Does anyone know if the rear muffler, tail pipe stuff is the same on all years or interchangeable? I know everyone is going to bring up the O2 sensors. But it is not a problem. Mine are mounted in the exhaust manifolds. So i dont even need to worry about that. Plus i have no emissions where i am. So really i dont even need cats. But i figure i might as well.

the systems are almost interchangeable.
the 93/4s have a down pipe for the front 3 cylinders and a down pipe for the rear three cylinders. each down pipe has a cat. after the cats there is a nifty "y" piece that brings both cats into a single pipe, that jumps back over the frame and on into the muffler and out the rear.
while over at right twix on the 95-7s, they used a single "y" shaped down pipe for the front and rear cylinder banks, that includes the front cat, the second cat is a stand alone bolt on. the exhaust was then routed under the frame and on into the muffler and out the back.

the flange patterns are the same for all years on the cast iron manifolds, so the later y pipe can be used on the earlier years.
however i don't think you can mix and match the components with each other on an individual piece level.

the 93 style has the 2 cats parallel, the 95 in series, making the newer style longer so the rest of the exhaust starts further back. the main muffler pipe has to pass under the frame vs over top. what I would do is grab the 95 y-pipe , run a single cat, and modify the 93 muffler to work with a single feed to keep the over-frame feature you currently have

the 93 style has the 2 cats parallel, the 95 in series, making the newer style longer so the rest of the exhaust starts further back. the main muffler pipe has to pass under the frame vs over top. what I would do is grab the 95 y-pipe , run a single cat, and modify the 93 muffler to work with a single feed to keep the over-frame feature you currently have
Now there's a plan!

Also keep in mind the OBD1 1FZ-FE (93-94) has two oxygen sensors just before the cats.. one in each downpipe. OBD2 (95-97) has two sensors, but one is before the cats and one after. If you bolt up the 95-97 stuff you'll need to add a second O2 bung upstream of the cat.

I have a newer style front cat/ downpipe on my 94 but I blocked off the O2 sensor bung it has with a steel plate. Then I removed PAIR altogether and put my O2 sensors in the PAIR manifold bungs. Then after the cat (I never got the second cat that goes with the newer system) I got a flange off eBay and had an exhaust shop bend me up some pipes up over the frame. If you wanted to do it for emissions testing you'd need to block off the bungs that come on the newer parts and add a bung to each of the downpipes.

I have a newer style front cat/ downpipe on my 94 but I blocked off the O2 sensor bung it has with a steel plate. Then I removed PAIR altogether and put my O2 sensors in the PAIR manifold bungs. Then after the cat (I never got the second cat that goes with the newer system) I got a flange off eBay and had an exhaust shop bend me up some pipes up over the frame. If you wanted to do it for emissions testing you'd need to block off the bungs that come on the newer parts and add a bung to each of the downpipes.

This is exactly what I am doing now. My cats were starting to rattle so I ordered up Magnaflow's '95+ Y pipe/single cat, along with some new O2 sensors which are to be relocated to the manifold bungs after I delete the PAIR system. I don't plan on getting a second cat and will either have an exhaust shop connect the new Y pipe/cat to the existing OEM muffler, or have them make a new catback system with the larger, quiet magnaflow muffler. I have a block off plate for the O2 bung on the new cat.

Thanks for the good inof. In regard to the last three post. My PAIR is already removed and the O2 stits in the PAIR location already. But i would like to use as much of the OEM exhaust from the cat back as i can since it is on OK condition and still nice and quiet. This be a future project, maybe for the fall. But sounds like i have something to think about.

Can you share a pic of this? I am in the process of trying to find a way to deal with the O2 sensor. cheers!

Can you share a pic of this? I am in the process of trying to find a way to deal with the O2 sensor. cheers!

Which part do you need? The plate blocking off the normal spot on the pipe or where to put them in the manifold?

From the manifold to the cat(s) maybe?

I have a 94 I just started to restore and my down pipes had holes in them so I was looking to get these replaced. I was Reading here that it was an option to change to the 95+ version but not sure what to do with the O2 sensors and where to put those and how other here have done it.

Any images would be very helpful :)

This is exactly what I am having to do myself on our 93. I removed the PAIR system, finally found some new O2 sensors and they were delivered today. I still need to purchase the 95-97 down pipe cat combo. Unfortunately I need to pass emissions here in CO so I'm worried about any check engine lights that might pop up with the PAIR removed. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

This is exactly what I am having to do myself on our 93. I removed the PAIR system, finally found some new O2 sensors and they were delivered today. I still need to purchase the 95-97 down pipe cat combo. Unfortunately I need to pass emissions here in CO so I'm worried about any check engine lights that might pop up with the PAIR removed. Is this something I need to be concerned about?

No. No CELs on mine.

Yeah no CEL when moving the O2's to the PAIR spots on mine either!

No CELs with the PAIR removed, but if they do a visual inspection, which most states do, they will look for the PAIR system. You may want to confirm that CO only cares that the exhaust is clean, and not that the components are physically present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom