Widening Stock 40 Series Wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because of the lack of tire selection in 15" rims, even 16" sizes are slowly going away. ATM 315/75R16's are readily available.

Never had an issue getting 33 x 10.5 or 35 x 12.5 etc

Ok I thought I would update this thread as I have learned a few lessons which may help others.

As per the start my aim is to get some 8" wide stock style rims that take hub caps so I can run 35 x 12.5 x 15 on my 40.

So I bought a 15 x 8 Wheel shell ( Band ) from Speedway. They have an inside diameter of 320mm

Now the issue is that the Cruiser has an inside diameter of 335mm so I have a small issue.

Not one to give up I machined the center out of the factory wheel as I needed to see and feel stuff to plan the next move.

Once I machined the center out I spun it down to 320mm to drop it in the band, now the issue is that by the time I hit 320mm I will have pretty much a flat dish with no check outs. Not the look I wanted.

So I did some more research and no one seems to make an 8" band with a 335mm Id .

So I started looking at 16" bands -https://www.redbarncustoms.net/16-diamter-empty-rim-shell.html

They all seem to have an ID of about 342 mm so the center will be to small unless I packed it out which I could do buy cutting the center out with the rim still welded to it which would allow me to fit 16" bands but it is starting to get a bit jenky.

So after looking around a bit more I will have to just machine the lip off and add a 3" band between the factory halves and then weld it back on. This will give me an 8.5" rim at factory back spacing which I can live with.

So if anyone has a source for 15" bands or knows of a factory 15 x 8 steel rim with an ID of 335mm then let me know.

This is what i will end up with but strip banding

Widened Wheels.JPG

Widened Wheels1.JPG

Widened Wheels2.JPG

So here is the stock center machined to 320 mm back in stock band . 1st picture is stock band without center then I machined it to 320 and dropped it back in you can see it is loosing its insteps

2019-03-31 12.05.17.jpg

2019-03-31 12.04.54.jpg

Dropping the center into the 15 x 8 band shows how it pretty much looses it checkouts and sits against the rim.

No the look I am after

2019-03-31 12.05.52.jpg

2019-03-31 12.05.48.jpg

2019-03-31 12.05.32.jpg

Reactions: SMG
Why would I want 16" over 15" ? 16 " will give me less side wall to air down and benefit from

Tire size availability. I wouldn't spend the money without going to 16".

I think I've read/followed every wheel-widening thread on Mud and am familiar with most of the Cruisers running widened OEM steelies on this site.

Me too. I went with 7x16 cragar soft 8s, 4" backspace for about half the money of the Stockton bill alone. Not unhappy with this decision.

Why don't you just get some US smoothie wheels? You can make the oe hubcaps fit them.

They don't look 'right'. The goal is perfection. :flipoff2:

Why don't you just get some US smoothie wheels? You can make the oe hubcaps fit them.

I actually have one here but I don't like the look of it with the no check outs and the back spacing is wrong at 4" I would need to run spacers. I don't like spacers.

2019-03-31 12.17.33.jpg

2019-03-31 12.17.37.jpg

Tire size availability. I wouldn't spend the money without going to 16".

Me too. I went with 7x16 cragar soft 8s, 4" backspace for about half the money of the Stockton bill alone. Not unhappy with this decision.

I am running 35" tires so 35 x 12.5 x 15 are cheap and easy to get.

Once I stop with the R&D if I go and just add a strip band it will be an easy enough job and by the time I make it, blast it and coat it I will be into it for $100 a rim plus my labour so it could be worse.

If I could find a 16" or 17" band with the required ID I may change my mind but some far no luck unless I buy the bands out of ROH in Australia

Reactions: SMG
I had a set widened recently. $125/wheel. Here is a thread I started when I had some questions.

Just found this thread... Any new info that will help me with this issue? I'm in the Southeast and would rather not send 5 wheels to Cali to get widened. I really want to preserve the OEM 40 look but with 35/12.50 tires..
Any advice or ideas appreciated..
Thanks

Just found this thread... Any new info that will help me with this issue? I'm in the Southeast and would rather not send 5 wheels to Cali to get widened. I really want to preserve the OEM 40 look but with 35/12.50 tires..
Thanks

Call some hot rod shops in your area. They'll probably know someone that does.

Thanks
@GA Architect had a shop in (Georgia?) do his.

Has anyone ever tried these?

Screenshot_20220121-181021.png

Screenshot_20220121-193551.png

They aren't a perfect match (mainly the 3 little bulges on the center ridge) and they lack the clips... But they're cheap and available. Just wondering if anyone has ever successfully attached the OEM center caps to these..

Here is the factory wheel for reference

Screenshot_20220121-181421.png

🤔

I bougot new steel rims from Toyota ($165 ea) and had them widened for $40 a wheel in north Georgia. I installed 33x12.50x15 tires.

View attachment 2901934
Wow Toyota wheels have gotten expensive
It was the other way around for me $68 a wheel from the dealer brand new
And $150 to widen. , nice rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom