Whistling after installing new stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed new stereo around a month back (Pioneer NEX4200).
Installation was easy and stereo worked proper before putting in dash.
However after putting stereo in dash (needed to cram all those connections really tight behind the unit), speaker whistles with RPM/throttle.
Does anyone know why is that? I read a bit about ground loop (not too much just enough to know there is such thing) however I thought I should see / hear the same issue when stereo is not in dash so discarded that.

Apart from that, does anyone know good pair of speakers to replace front speakers. I don't mind bit deeper speakers, I can use: American International SG600DX those to get bit more height.

Thanks

Electrical interference between the power and speaker wires. Need to move them or insulate them.

I thought of this and wrapped electrical tape around 2 speaker connections (not whole length), I guess I should go ahead and wrap everything together tight.

Thanks

Did you make sure you're power antenna and amp trigger wires aren't hooked up? Having the factory amp wired up seems to cause all kinds of issues with sound interference. Disconnected mine and it sounds a lot cleaner and doesn't have the interference.

Are you using a auxiliary input through a white/red RCA type connection?

Did you make sure you're power antenna and amp trigger wires aren't hooked up? Having the factory amp wired up seems to cause all kinds of issues with sound interference. Disconnected mine and it sounds a lot cleaner and doesn't have the interference.
I connected my power antenna directly to power of stereo (since there was no power antenna port / cable) but I need to try this.
I'll try it.

I'd pull the dash back apart and see if you can isolate the noise while the vehicle is running. As others have mentioned likely candidates are interference between the power and speaker wires, issues with the factory amp if still in place or poor insulation on the connections.

Do you recall if the new stereo you installed went into the same plug as the factory radio or did it use the two other plugs for the aftermarket radio?

I'd pull the dash back apart and see if you can isolate the noise while the vehicle is running. As others have mentioned likely candidates are interference between the power and speaker wires, issues with the factory amp if still in place or poor insulation on the connections.

Do you recall if the new stereo you installed went into the same plug as the factory radio or did it use the two other plugs for the aftermarket radio?
Plugs don't match with factory plug so I created stereo <-> factory specific plug <-> factory plug

I'm using AUX through AUX port of stereo (not through RCA type) however speakers are connected through RCA type connectors to stereo
Anytime I have had an issue with what you are describing it is always wound up being those type connections not making up tight enough to keep ingress out.

When I installed my deck I used this harness and had to wire it to the one that came with the Pioneer deck.

Metra - Wiring Harness for Most 1987 and Later Toyota Scion Vehicles - Multicolored (from best buy $16)
  • Model: 70-1761
Can you confirm you used something similar and lined up all the wires (by color)?

When I installed my deck I used this harness and had to wire it to the one that came with the Pioneer deck.

Metra - Wiring Harness for Most 1987 and Later Toyota Scion Vehicles - Multicolored (from best buy $16)
  • Model: 70-1761
Can you confirm you used something similar and lined up all the wires (by color)?
I used metra however I think in 80- series (if I remember correctly) I know for sure it was metra because I had to drive urgently to pick it up from local shop (the one I already had was not correct fit). I think I did proper connections (color-matching cause it works properly without putting in dash). I'll be opening the dash and stereo over this weekend or next. I'll make sure once again.

Anytime I have had an issue with what you are describing it is always wound up being those type connections not making up tight enough to keep ingress out.
I think they are tight enough but this time when I open up I'll first try using stereo while engine running to make sure the issue is limited when I put everything back together then go from there

I whistle after I got my stereo hooked up. Now I can whistle the show tunes while they play on the radio.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom