Which springs with AHC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently running the King 79s.

She's a heavy girl. I have:
Front and rear steel bumpers
Winch
Rear tire carrier
Rear swingout
Full drawer system
Heavy roof tent
8 Gallon water tank
Solar panels
...and more stuff I'm not thinking of

Front pressures are dialed in using the stock LX torsion bars. Got it to about 6.5.
The rears are at 9.6, even with the Kings installed. I'm not sure at this point if I should go with:
1) 30mm spacers
2) 80 series springs (are these plug and play?)
3) 100 series LC springs

Is there a rule of thumb for how much pressure each of those will reduce by with the Kings as a starting point?

Thanks!

Either 80/100 rear springs will work. You adjust the height sensor to get the pressure you want. Then decide if that height is good or if you want 10, 20 or 30mm more. Add chosen spacers and readjust rear sensor again for desired pressure reading.

Didn't really think of reducing the pressures with the sensor to let it settle the weight on the springs, then use spacers to adjust height. Totally makes sense.

I'm currently running the King 79s.

She's a heavy girl. I have:
Front and rear steel bumpers
Winch
Rear tire carrier
Rear swingout
Full drawer system
Heavy roof tent
8 Gallon water tank
Solar panels
...and more stuff I'm not thinking of

Front pressures are dialed in using the stock LX torsion bars. Got it to about 6.5.
The rears are at 9.6, even with the Kings installed. I'm not sure at this point if I should go with:
1) 30mm spacers
2) 80 series springs (are these plug and play?)
3) 100 series LC springs

Is there a rule of thumb for how much pressure each of those will reduce by with the Kings as a starting point?

Thanks!
Your rear 9.6Mpa with King ACH coils. Indicates you've adjusted rear sensor for a lift. Reduce sensor lift, until rear~5.8Mpa. OR Add space to the king AHC coils, the same thickness, as lift above stock height.

If front end weight heavy, to point running out of T-bar. Consider LC T-bars.

Your rear 9.6Mpa with King ACH coils. Indicates you've adjusted rear sensor for a lift. Reduce sensor lift, until rear~5.8Mpa. OR Add space to the king AHC coils, the same thickness, as lift above stock height.

If front end weight heavy, to point running out of T-bar. Consider LC T-bars.
It's at the stock sensor setting in the front and rear. I haven't sensor lifted it at all. It's sitting at 20.25" from hub to fender in the rear right now. It just has a lot of weight back there and I think it's overwhelming the Kings

In my experience 30mm spacers are only good for about a half to 1 point. Every combo is slightly different so accept the fact that it's going to take some trial and error to get it right. You may want to also consider LX570 coils. All 80, 100 and 200 series coils have the same top and bottom register so they will all physically fit.

It's at the stock sensor setting in the front and rear. I haven't sensor lifted it at all. It's sitting at 20.25" from hub to fender in the rear right now. It just has a lot of weight back there and I think it's overwhelming the Kings
How many grads on reservoir. Below 10, consider new globes.

20.25" is about and 1/8" higher than I see, stock height & weight. For accuracy, I've been using the chrome bar from tool kit with magnetic level attached. Placing bar in center of wheel hub, measuring from outer lip of fender straight down. Note: rear fender has ~1/8" inner lip lower than outer.

Try adjust sensor to lowering rear 1/8" at a time. Find how low you must go, to get say 6.2Mpa rear from current height. Than consider spacers or different coils, to get height and Mpa you like.

I've set up a heavy before with new globes, kings and LC T-bars. It had most of what you list, less tent. It had full Slee full skids and bell pan also. It came in at ~6Mpa rear.

Currently 7 grads. Bare minimum but I really don't feel like replacing the globes right now.
I'll see how far I need to lower to get decent pressure and order some 10 and 30mm spacers and play around with it.

Thanks y'all

Currently 7 grads. Bare minimum but I really don't feel like replacing the globes right now.
I'll see how far I need to lower to get decent pressure and order some 10 and 30mm spacers and play around with it.

Thanks y'all

FYI it took me 10mm more spacer on the drivers side to make things level with my King’s. I’m at 30mm and 40mm respectively.

Thanks y'all
Keep in mind a new set of globes is ~14 grads. Completely dead and burst globes are ~4. That means you're around 30% health. Toyota says replace them all right around there.

The 30mm spacers only move about .5 Mpa. I'd try 80 coils. Old LX450 if you can find them.

Or... try lowering the height sensors so that the rear is closer to 20.

I've never seen that high a pressure with Kings. Congrats, you're setting records, haha.

I'm surprised to see you that high. I've got aluminum armor and steel sliders. Dual swingouts, winch, plenty of weight in the swingouts, ADGU kitchen like yours, fridge, solar. No steel bumpers and no RTT, but otherwise similar. My rear pressure with Kings and 30mm is almost too low. Crazy that the RTT and steel bumpers are pushing you so far over.

Keep in mind a new set of globes is ~14 grads. Completely dead and burst globes are ~4. That means you're around 30% health. Toyota says replace them all right around there.

The 30mm spacers only move about .5 Mpa. I'd try 80 coils. Old LX450 if you can find them.

Or... try lowering the height sensors so that the rear is closer to 20.

I've never seen that high a pressure with Kings. Congrats, you're setting records, haha.

I'm surprised to see you that high. I've got aluminum armor and steel sliders. Dual swingouts, winch, plenty of weight in the swingouts, ADGU kitchen like yours, fridge, solar. No steel bumpers and no RTT, but otherwise similar. My rear pressure with Kings and 30mm is almost too low. Crazy that the RTT and steel bumpers are pushing you so far over.

Yah the tent is 221lbs and mostly over the rear axle. The water tank is 8 gallons, so that's another 100lbs wet. Mounted in the ADGU system (which is awesome!) is the 55 gallon fridge, the battery, and the air conditioning and heating unit for the tent. In the swingout is the ARB jack, shovel, and recovery gear that's probably another 50 lbs.

It's too much stuff, but things like an airconditioned tent get the misses out on the road with me, so totally worth it!

I'm going to look for some old LX450 and LC100 springs - thanks for all the tips. Oh and I'll replace the globes at some point, but right now I just want to get out and enjoy the truck for a while :)

Yah the tent is 221lbs and mostly over the rear axle. The water tank is 8 gallons, so that's another 100lbs wet. Mounted in the ADGU system (which is awesome!) is the 55 gallon fridge, the battery, and the air conditioning and heating unit for the tent. In the swingout is the ARB jack, shovel, and recovery gear that's probably another 50 lbs.

It's too much stuff, but things like an airconditioned tent get the misses out on the road with me, so totally worth it!

I'm going to look for some old LX450 and LC100 springs - thanks for all the tips. Oh and I'll replace the globes at some point, but right now I just want to get out and enjoy the truck for a while :)
I can very much relate to upping the luxury/convenience to the max to get your family out! The best excuse for any car mod there is, IMO.

Let us know where you end up and how you like the final result. I'm sure there's the right combo out there.

For the front, if you're hungry for additional effort, I heard sway-away was open to custom thickness T-bars for the 100 w AHC. I'm never a fan of non-AHC T-bars because the math just doesn't check out for me, but the custom Sway-Away option was intriguing. You can get the right neutral pressure with the AHC bars, but you're just moving the pre-load. The spring is still too weak (for cases like yours) and the dynamics under compression are off. Something in between the AHC and non-AHC bars would be great.

That said, whatever. You're winning if you and the fam can get out and enjoy. Might be more important that the fridge and water tank are full!

I had King springs and spacers with a 1.25 AHC lift for a while but was always adding more weight. Dissent rear bumper, a second swing out with 7 gallons of water and four mountain bikes, kids in the back seat, dogs... all the extra stuff that adds up quickly. Fully loaded, my readings were around 9somthing Mpa (my grads on the resevour are ~12 or 13.) I swapped out to non-AHC UZJ100 springs and everything has been totally within spec ever since. I think, with the addition of those springs, the system feels more dialed than it ever had before (I mean, short of when it was completely stock. But, that was so long ago (2006) that I have no memory of how it really felt.)

Anyway, it sounds to me like those stock, non-AHC springs might be your answer.

Dumb follow-up question.
It looks like there are a million non-oem options and very few OEM options on eBay. Does it matter to get OEM parts for these?

Thanks y'all
Counting grads. Is somewhat reliant on: good fluid, no air in system, balance and temp of fluid. But at 7 grads, with your weight. You're wasting your time fiddling with coils/spacer. You're also setting up for an AHC trail failure. Pressures, ride, handling (body roll) and braking will improve greatly with new globs.

The king coils, should help keep you off the rocks in rear. But the LX T-bars won't, in a failure.

I'd be staring with New Globes and LC T-bars.

;)The Yens at or near and all time low to the $. Great time to by globes!

You can stack a 10 and 30 together safely?
Manufacture of spacer I've talked with said; we can stack up to two spacer. I've never ask them about max thickness. :hmm:

Dumb follow-up question.
It looks like there are a million non-oem options and very few OEM options on eBay. Does it matter to get OEM parts for these?
I don't know the direct answer to your question. But, I just kept following the market place here. Maybe post a WTB ad. Usually someone will be swapping them out for a lift or whatever. Cheaper that way too!

I don't know the direct answer to your question. But, I just kept following the market place here. Maybe post a WTB ad. Usually someone will be swapping them out for a lift or whatever. Cheaper that way too!
Thanks. Probably should have done that but I just picked up some king OEM lc100 replacements in eBay. Also bought some new globes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom