Where do we go from here? To replace my LX or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's up with the frame spooge near the front wheel?

The driver's seat from parts truck is nice and supple but the leather looks tired. So I ordered a SeatDoctor kit. Leather filler and dye.

20200721_112855.jpg

20200721_112904.jpg

20200721_112917.jpg

20200720_211253.jpg

2nd pic of undercarriage photos, on left

It looked like a lot of other spots on the frame, I lightly sanded it and sprayed it with the RustOleum Rust Reformer. I am not sure how well would that work

That explains it. It looks like a re-weld and paint job to me, that's all.

Filled cracks and applied first coat of leather dye. Not looking that great at the moment. I think I will need a few more coats

20200723_141729.jpg

20200723_141724.jpg

Filled cracks and applied first coat of leather dye. Not looking that great at the moment. I think I will need a few more coats

Hate to say that but it's all waste of time/effort. It will not last and will look only good at beginning.
I went through much more advanced exercise with BMW E34 seats and it took 5k miles and 1 year for cracks to start showing. And those seams will look like crap too.

Hate to say that but it's all waste of time/effort. It will not last and will look only good at beginning.
I went through much more advanced exercise with BMW E34 seats and it took 5k miles and 1 year for cracks to start showing. And those seams will look like crap too.
That is disheartening. I once redid the my e39 wagon seats with a similar dye and was pretty happy with the results. Will see how this turns out.

Started putting back together the center console. One layer of Butyl backed sound deadener and one layer of closed foam cell over all of the hump. Double layer of closed cell foam under the cup holder area.
Not sure if this will make any difference but it's worth a try anyway. Also painted the two steel pieces in black enamel paint. These are never visible once center console is buttoned up but it helps with my OCD 🙄

20200723_193045.jpg

Last edited:
I am going crazy searching for the sound deadening materials. My goal is to add heat insulation to the transmission hump and front foot wells and sound dampening to the doors, floor and reat quarter panels.
Here are my top 3 contenders at the moment are:
1) Mass Loaded Vinyl MLV - 1 lb/sqft ! Amazon product ASIN B07Z9K213Q
2) Closed cell foam about 8 mm thick - Amazon product ASIN B07QW2RL2Q
3) High Density foam backed by Aluminum foil - 10 mm thick - Robot Check

They all make very similar claims, but we all know how internet advertising is. Is any of this worth fretting over? Should I just get the cheapest option and go with it?

I drove the parts truck around the block today, brakes work slightly when you stand on it! There is basically no assist function anymore. The engine runs smooth and trans shifts great (at low speeds anyway). After I parked in my garage, I am now heartbroken on the thought of dismantling it for parts!

I did list it in the classifieds section [Parting Out - 2002 LX470 Gold Ext. Tan Interior] and I know it will live in spirit as part of a lot of other trucks, but I am still being slightly sentimental about it :(

I felt similarly when selling a W126 diesel with a blown trans but was an otherwise gorgeous car.

You won't miss it. It's giving life to your 'good' truck, just a means to an end.

There was some progress made on the rust holes in the floor:
20200806_130534.jpg

20200806_131101.jpg

Goodness, bro pack up and move somewhere else and live lol.

Good work though.

I'm kind of in the same situation. Throw money into getting it in the best mechanical shape or sell and buy a newer one....

This thread is telling me to just buy a newer one.

I'm kind of in the same situation. Throw money into getting it in the best mechanical shape or sell and buy a newer one....

This thread is telling me to just buy a newer one.
You live in CA, if you buy a rust free example you can keep it rust free. Here in the winter wasteland, rust is part of life and only a matter of time before anything will succumb to the rot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom