When to Speedi Sleeve ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Aussie aftermarket HBs are very stout (Rockauto), but they're now expensive...
I did not see them on RockAuto last time I looked. Could not find a new one anywhere - and since used is now 650, I would have paid that for new. What and where are you seeing new Aussie?

They are all Power Bond or reboxed Power bond and used to be Aussie-made, but may now be Chyna. Don't know. That's where the PB in the part number comes from.

I only see them in US as Dayco brand so maybe Dayco bought Power Bond ...

It's been 10 years or more since I looked into it. They're solid, without the elastomeric rubber like the stock one. They claim it's mo' better.

They are all Power Bond or reboxed Power bond and used to be Aussie-made, but may now be Chyna. Don't know. That's where the PB in the part number comes from.

It's been 10 years or more since I looked into it. They're solid, without the elastomeric rubber like the stock one. They claim it's mo' better.
I’m buying it. Big Saturday night!

I have one of the two-groove models for an FJ40 2F. Very well made and no issues.

Wow, the link I used for the OEM harmonic balancer now says NLA, I wonder if I got the last one a few months ago?
It’s possible. Though there are probably a few floating around out there waiting to be discovered.

I couldn’t even find a new aftermarket one when I was looking over the last 2 months. Whatever I bought last night… I’ll have to see to believe. But I’ll stop worrying about groove filling and sleeving for the time being.

This is what mine looked like, I diced decided against the SS but I was able to source a new OEM part 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 3025248
Seems if you can affordably source one, new OEM is always the best bet. Minimal chance of leaking, where the SS MIGHT leak or might not, depending on the will of the gods.

It’s possible. Though there are probably a few floating around out there waiting to be discovered.

I couldn’t even find a new aftermarket one when I was looking over the last 2 months. Whatever I bought last night… I’ll have to see to believe. But I’ll stop worrying about groove filling and sleeving for the time being.
dang I kinda wanted to see how that SS would have worked out =)

I've fixed grooves on a motorcycle crank with JB weld and no sleeve, it worked, however admittedly it wasn't as bad as yours looks.

This showed up today from RockAuto and it looks right. Bolts, not rivets.

It feels a good 5 pounds heavier than the original though. I will try not to worry about that.

The coating on the inside of the shaft side is already starting to peel off. It is just cosmetic so I won't worry about that either.

(PowerBond/Dayco PB1089N on the left)

0.jpg
0-1.jpg

I think that coating is just an anti-rust skin. I'd clean it off best you can. Both from the inside and outside of the shaft, then coat with a thin, light oil.

Did the box say where it was made? Prolly Taiwan by now...

Acetone cleaned that coating off, on the one I just installed.

Last edited:
I think that coating is just an anti-rust skin. I'd clean it off best you can. Both from the inside and outside of the shaft, then coat with a thin, light oil.

Did the box say where it was made? Prolly Taiwan by now...
Believe it or not, made in Australia.

Man, I would like to get this thing on and get this chapter over with.

IMG_0441.jpg

Hmm - all helpful - I had my engine rebuilt this summer - after about 50 miles check everything - 1 drop - now to sleeve or not to sleeve.

I'll figure that out next and post picts of what I did and how it worked. Appreciate the thread.

Hmm - all helpful - I had my engine rebuilt this summer - after about 50 miles check everything - 1 drop - now to sleeve or not to sleeve.

I'll figure that out next and post picts of what I did and how it worked. Appreciate the thread.
I am at around 1K miles now with the Powerbond pulley and all is well. That is not exactly meaningful given that it was a brand new pulley and 1K miles is just a blip, but at least it means that maybe it went on right this time (took three tries).

You would want to inspect the shaft before you decide on sleeving or not - if your leak is because there's a groove worn into the shaft already, then a sleeve would help. But you'd obviously want to figure what's making the groove. In my case the timing cover had shifted and was touching the pulley shaft and making a groove.

Otherwise it could be that someone screwed up getting the crank seal seated, in which case the shaft might not need a sleeve at all. But it sounds like whoever rebuilt the engine should be helping out here.

But it sounds like whoever rebuilt the engine should be helping out here.
Thanks!! He is helping and having me do most of the rebuild (so most likely the leak is on me (he does keep the beer cold, fresh, and at hand too) - My friend who is helping/teaching me with the rebuild is and has been a Toyota Mechanic for decades and has multiple cruisers. So that part takes some pressure off. He is the one who found it and said it should be addressed. He said one drop now will be 30 drops in a few years.

Based on your post, I got a PB too - though the model for mine was different - will see when it arrives - and he thinks a sleeve should do it - so ordered that as I would rather have all parts at the ready and return what wasn't needed. I'm several states away, so he will be flying solo vs making me do it, I will follow-up sometime next week when he tackles this.

(I call this Ketchup and Mustard - his cruiser is red)

IMG-2338.JPEG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom