When to rebuild a 1HDJ-80L Diesel Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a 92 4.2L 1HDJ-80L Diesel motor in my unit.

it currently has 284,000K on it and looking to see when it might to start have problems.

No leaks anywhere to be seen, stays the same oil level between changes or cant tell to the naked eye.

Mainly road miles, and a little light off roading.

Replacing the transmission on it due to a Jackleg Transmission repair guy (fixing it) before i bought it.

Thoughts

It varies a lot. I had a mate who had one with 500+k km on it, all original. Apart from maintenance the engine in it had never been touched.
If it's running nice and using no oil, keep it running. Maybe get an oil analysis done occasionally.

Diesel engines should outlast the gasser engines with regular maintenance... and by outlast I mean by a significant margin. Think of all the other Diesel engines out there with 600,000 miles+ that have never had a major repair. My girlfriends dads buddy Travis has a 12v Cummins that has never had a major repair and has over 700k miles still running strong. My uncle had a roofing company and had a Isuzu box truck and the engine had over 650k miles when he got rid of it with no major repairs. 284k is nothing as long as it's been maintained well.

Mine is coming up on 340,000km and still going ok.
Smokes a bit coming off idle if it is idled for to long but clears and is all good after that.
Still making good power.
EGT 400C at 100kmh on the flat with 8-10lb boost.

Know of a guy who sent his 1HDT engine to the rebuilders around 350,000 because it smoked a bit off idle and the rebuilder was heard to comment "why am I rebuilding this engine, it's barely run in?"

diesel engines only outlast gas engines in constant duty service like mines or trucking industry. daily driving and cold starts every day is not conducive to diesel longevity.

with that said- consensus seems that the hd-t is getting long in the tooth by 400k km - so at 240k km - you have quite a while before needing to worry. The bebs would be worth keeping an eye on if they havent been done in the last 120k km.

If anything - turbo and i.p. are far more likely to need some service prior to your engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom