which trail?

• Tip Top Mine Trail

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • FR41

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CodyRx7 said:
Are you bringin your Land Cruiser to the Nissan meet? The main reason I want to go to one of these group rides is to check out some other Land Cruisers in person so I can get a better idea of what I want to do to mine.

Drive down this friday night for the meet at Sonic. There's usually an OVERabundance of 80's there.

Sunday Crown King meeting spot

We are meeting at 7:00am on Sunday the 18th at the Circle K at 83rd Ave. and Union Hills. The Circle K is on the nw corner. If coming on Loop 101 exit Union Hills and go 1 blk West.

I'll see if I can make it to the Sonic meet...

At least that way I won't feel as bad having to leave my rig somewhere while everyone else gets to go play..lol.

Yes, I'll be in the 80. That's my trail rig, the Nissan is being sold, and the 4Runner is my wife's.

-Spike

I like Claudia's idea of a run to the Tip Top, Gillett area for the day after Christmas, anybody know that area well enough to lead it?

Looks like I will make the Crown King run Saturday.:D

Kevin, I was going to wait to revive the "after Christmas" planning until we have the 12/18 hijackers out of the way :D

suggestions so far were FR41 and Tip Top Mine Road. You were thinking December 26?

I know that Garie (snakesource) has led groups up there (pics on the cruiserland.com site), no idea whether he would be available. I have a USGS Topomap that shows the trail, and according to the AZ Virtual Jeep Club site, it ranks a 2.5+. The only concern would be if the Agua Fria River carries too much water (which prevented us from doing the trail last Christmas). I'll keep checking the USGS stream gauge info as we get closer.

If anyone else has additional suggestions, post them here.

DSRTRDR said:
suggestions so far were FR41 and Tip Top Mine Road. You were thinking December 26?

WOW! The 26th? Becky and I will be up there and wanted to run a trail that day. Haven't run 41 or Tip Top in YEARS!

I am in for the day after christmas trip as long as no one minds a Tacoma going. My 80 isn't up to code yet. I have never done FR41 but hear it is good. I have also heard it was closed. Do I need to pay my dews before the run so I have a permit? Please advise.
I was going to sign up at the Dec meet but wasn't feeling well.

brittan said:
I am in for the day after christmas trip as long as no one minds a Tacoma going. My 80 isn't up to code yet. I have never done FR41 but hear it is good. I have also heard it was closed. Do I need to pay my dews before the run so I have a permit? Please advise.
I was going to sign up at the Dec meet but wasn't feeling well.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/news/orders/ccc-special-restrictions-12-215.pdf

Looks open to me. I'll call tomorrow though.

OK, the Crown King hijack is out of the way, had a great time, thanks for the invite Spike! Hope we didn't scar our SWANKy hosts too bad!:D Lee having a good time;

12-17-2005_1.jpg

Next business, Dec 26, who can go and what kind of trail, mild or wild? The Tip Top, Gillett area is a stocker friendly trail with lots of optional play. There was talk on the trail Saturday about a trail from there to the Horse Thief Basin area?

Last edited:
o.k. let's try to firm this up: we are all talking 12/26, right?

Last time I called the Forest Service (Thanksgiving), FR41 was open; I haven't seen any info they closed it again.

Can you please vote for either FR41 or Tip Top Mine Road? Difficulty and scenic rating are about the same, I think. Meeting place will be off exit 236 off I-17, either side, depending which trail we take. Let's say 9am sharp, filled up, gassed, watered, sandwiched and what not (there is no station out there AFAIK).

FR41: starts from I-17 to the east, several stream crossings (new River Valley) with boulders, but nothing major unless there is heavy water. This trail has varying terrain that should be doable with a lift or larger tires. Side trip could be FR37 (haven't done that but looked scenic) or up FR17 which used to be a rocky shelf road (could be washed out by now) up Black Mesa with a nice view at the end off the Rim of the Mesa down over the Valley of the Sun. Also possible would be a trip up Humboldt Mountain, excellent 360 degree view, FAA installation and firelookout (COLD when windy). FR41 goes into FR24 (Seven Springs Road, was open when I called) that goes by an old Mine (curio shop today) and an Indian Ruin and ends in Carefree/CaveCreek. We could turn into a western joint there. Overall, a longer drive than Tip Top Mine Trail and more populated. Permit is required only for a short part on the western end, and we got two.

Tip Top Mine Trail: Starts from I-17 to the west, at least one major stream crossing (Agua Fria River; the one time we went to the north of Lake Pleasant, it was completely dry, but last winter there was no crossing it). I haven't taken this trail but pictures are on cruiserland.com and rating on AZvirtualjeepclub is 2.5. This trail leads to an old mine with some artifacts to explore and eventually retuns the same way out. Unless there is indeed a cross-over into Horse Thief Basin, which I don't know but would be willing to try (I'll bring USGS topomaps). If so, we would come out at Crown King Road/Bumble Bee and could turn into the Cleator Bar or either way we could drink/eat somewhere else (does that Squaw Steak House or whatever came after it in the middle of I-17 still exist?). Should be doable in a good condition stock 4x4. Less driving, more exploring, equally scenic, presumably fewer people.

Please post which one you prefer, I'll post confirmation and send phone numbers etc.

For the real hard-core oriented: AFAIK there will a Chevy K5 (and others?) party out in the Table Mesa area, I can post contact info if desired.

Would each vehicle need to acquire a permit for FR41 or is there a club permit that would baloon all of us under it?

ShottsUZJ100 said:

OOOPS! Sorry everybody. I posted this in the wrong forum. The AZLCA is going to run FR41 and some play areas at the end near Careefree (time permitting...maybe Sheeps Bridge).

While I'm here, though let me address side trips from FR41 mentioned by DSRTRDR:

37's on the map (part of it). Others are not allowed. The area is closed and people caught will be sited. Info is on the Tonto site or the link above.

a permit is not needed for Tip Top Mine Road, which seems to be the preference of 3/3 that answered the poll.

Tools R Us said:
Personal preference of other reason?
Kevin...I presume you meant "or other reason"
I haven't done either trail. I did the crown king trail a while back and thought I'd see the other side of the 17, not that it is going to look any different.
I am up for the more technical of the two. I will be in the Taco either way. Water crossing the taco isn't a good idea but I doubt we'd see water anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom