which trail?

• Tip Top Mine Trail

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • FR41

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those interested, the Nissan group I run with is doing the Crown King backroad on the 17th, as per the previous link. If you're too lazy to click the link, we're meeting at the gas station at the junction of I-17 and the Carefree Highway at 9 AM. Don't let the brand name scare you, the club is named SWANKy, and the 'y' is for Yota. They even allow Sheeps to run with them. It's a great bunch of guys (and gals) and the run should be mucho funno.

-Spike (Bilingual)

Hmm...lookin at the pics, I'm guessing it would be impossible with a stock cruiser?

Relix said:
I might be up for something like that here's microsofts new mapping toy thing I have been playing with it for the last few minutes and discovered many trails I would like to go on

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=37.778907~-122.389699&style=o&lvl=2&scene=1245286

Nice link! I'm looking at the Martinez loop on that link and it seems that there might be a back way out to Ajax mine road there. Goodtimes, take a look at the area and tell me if you agree. I'd like to try getting out that way sometime.

CodyRx7 said:
Hmm...lookin at the pics, I'm guessing it would be impossible with a stock cruiser?

I doubt it would be impossible, but the trail might leave it's mark on your truck. Or a couple of marks.

-Spike

BMAN said:
Nice link! I'm looking at the Martinez loop on that link and it seems that there might be a back way out to Ajax mine road there. Goodtimes, take a look at the area and tell me if you agree. I'd like to try getting out that way sometime.
I followed that Ajax rd. on that map thing all the way into Superior.. Is that what you mean?

Hmm, the marks my woman would leave on me would surely be 10x as bad as the marks I'd have on the cruiser...

I'd really like to go tho, meet some new faces and see some more rigs. Anyone have room for a passenger?

No I'm talking about a small offshoot from the Martinez loop that looks like you can follow it north to the Ajax trail.

CodyRx7 said:
Hmm, the marks my woman would leave on me would surely be 10x as bad as the marks I'd have on the cruiser...

I'd really like to go tho, meet some new faces and see some more rigs. Anyone have room for a passenger?

I have one passenger, but the back seat is open. I'm sure there will be front seats open if you show up, if you prefer.

-Spike

BMAN said:
No I'm talking about a small offshoot from the Martinez loop that looks like you can follow it north to the Ajax trail.

I think it might be there, or was once upon a time. Me and some buds have talked about trying to make that hook up. You can see some real faint overgrown trails towards the north in a valley when you're at the top of the Martinez loop before the Luge. And the road from the end of Ajax out toward Superior has a side trail down into a valley that looks like it could be backed up to Martinez.

Time to explore!

Cdaniel said:
I think it might be there, or was once upon a time. Me and some buds have talked about trying to make that hook up. You can see some real faint overgrown trails towards the north in a valley when you're at the top of the Martinez loop before the Luge. And the road from the end of Ajax out toward Superior has a side trail down into a valley that looks like it could be backed up to Martinez.

Time to explore!

Yep, you and I are looking at the same 2 trails. the hookup from the offshoot of Ajax to the northbound trail from Martinez is questionable from those pics but otherwise I think it might be doable. I'm Thinking the intitial investigation would be easiest from the Ajax side but as a run it would be nicer I think to run into Martinez then through the canyon up the switchbacks to the bailout point then head north from there. Maybe in the coming weeks we'll have to get out there for some explorin.

i did a little exploring around there a few years back, it gets interesting. at one point i ended up on a hill looking at the backside of the martinez loop where the luge would be.
i also found a back trail into superior, well it come out near superior at a cool solid granite "slide" for lack of a better word.

BMAN said:
Yep, you and I are looking at the same 2 trails. the hookup from the offshoot of Ajax to the northbound trail from Martinez is questionable from those pics but otherwise I think it might be doable. I'm Thinking the intitial investigation would be easiest from the Ajax side but as a run it would be nicer I think to run into Martinez then through the canyon up the switchbacks to the bailout point then head north from there. Maybe in the coming weeks we'll have to get out there for some explorin.

If it's the wash we were looking at that headed North from the Martinez loop, then you won't go up the switchbacks, you'd stay in the wash. If you go up the switchbacks, you'll be way up where you don't want to be if you want to run that trail.

BMAN said:

Your "up the ridge road" is a spur from the trail they call Flat Tire Canyon (another I think might go thru, to 177 maybe) I've been up there, and from the arial view it looks more promising than the one I was thinking of (the next little dip just east of number 7 has a well defined road going into the valley). But that ridge road seems to go much farther south. Where we've stopped in the past is at the top of a ridge and that road continues into a valley and looks untraveled for some time. This was some years ago pre running Flat Tire so it's probaly worse.

Might make a connection with some implements of destruction.
Axe, Hatchet, Chain Saw......Dynamite

I'm up for it, even just as a passenger. Is there parking somewhere where everyone is going to meet where I can leave my LX450?

Also, I suppose the question would be, if I can ride up with someone, is everyone returning back to the starting point so I could get back to my vehicle?

I've seen a sign on I-17 south coming from Cottonwood that says Crown King, would I just follow those signs to get to this place?

This thread is getting confusing

My friend and I will be going up Crown King on Sunday the 18th. We will be leaving around 8 or 9. If others want to go, does anyone have a good spot to meet and start? If not I will post probably later today or tomorrow where we'll be meeting. ( we haven't figured it out yet) Thanks

CodyRx7 said:
I've seen a sign on I-17 south coming from Cottonwood that says Crown King, would I just follow those signs to get to this place?

That sign is for the graded dirt road to Crown King that goes through Bumble Bee. That would bring you to the end of the trail, not the beginning. (It's a nice ride by itself, can be done in any sturdy passenger vehicle; stop at the Cleator Bar and Crown King General Store for ambience). For the trail ride discussed here, you will have to go further south to at least Carefree Highway; look out for meeting information to be posted (maybe contact previous poster directly).

http://nissan4wheelers.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/146605233/m/72110314921 is the original post on the Nissan4Wheeler's board for the run on the 17th. Any and all are welcome to join. Cody and Blue: the meeting place we use is the gas station on the northeast corner of the intersection of I-17 and Carefree Highway. It's part of a large Albertson's shopping center, we have left vehicles there before, and we pass it again on the way back to Phoenix coming down I-17. The trail starts behind Lake Pleasant, which is on the Carefree Highway, so this makes a good meeting point unless you are all coming from the West Phoenix area. Blue, post up your time of departure and meeting place, I'm such a nut I might go twice in one weekend.

-Spike

Are you bringin your Land Cruiser to the Nissan meet? The main reason I want to go to one of these group rides is to check out some other Land Cruisers in person so I can get a better idea of what I want to do to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom