Wheel bearing or...? (1600 miles from home) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud,

1600 miles into a 3500 mile road trip and I think we spun a wheel bearing. Cold morning in Yellowstone and in an instant a chugging/wub wub wub came from front driver wheel. Became a higher frequency at highway speed.

However, no steering shake and 6/12 wiggle was fine.

Pulled the hub and repacked the bearing and noticed uneven scoring on the spindle. Noise is still there. Also pumped the knuckle cavity with more moly through the access port thinking maybe birf issue. Still noisey.

Anything else I'm missing? Spindle swap and a fresh bearing?

Northern lights over old faithful for fun

20230922_085256.jpg

20230918_215428.jpg

It could possibly be an issue with the bushing/bearing inside the spindle that the outer stub shaft centers in. If you have it all back together now, you could pull the front drive shaft and both drive flanges to keep from turning the front axles as a way to verify this.

Hey mud,

1600 miles into a 3500 mile road trip and I think we spun a wheel bearing. Cold morning in Yellowstone and in an instant a chugging/wub wub wub came from front driver wheel. Became a higher frequency at highway speed.

However, no steering shake and 6/12 wiggle was fine.

Pulled the hub and repacked the bearing and noticed uneven scoring on the spindle. Noise is still there. Also pumped the knuckle cavity with more moly through the access port thinking maybe birf issue. Still noisey.

Anything else I'm missing? Spindle swap and a fresh bearing?

Northern lights over old faithful for fun

View attachment 3437909
View attachment 3437912
I think @baldilocks is calling it correctly.

Spindle bushing inside the knuckle cavity. If it wasn't actually greased, filling the birf cavity doesn't always fix it since it must be pushed in there.

There is a tool that can be screwed over the end of the spindle and grease it from the outside, but I don't recall who makes it.

Have to pull off the spindle at this point.

What did the inside of the races look like when you pulled the bearings?

Dry spindle bushing.

Toast! Do you have a line on a replacement part along you planned route?

If the wheel bearing surfaces are scored, replace the spindle. 43401-60081. The new version of the spindle has a needle bearing instead of the bushing.

Cruiser Outfitters should have one in stock.

Do also replace the wheel bearings and races along with the spindle. The new spindle will be happier for a lot longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom