What's the best OEM 100 Series configuration, globally? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I like my LX 470 a lot, to the point where I'd probably want to replace it with another 100 Series should it get totaled. With some 100 Series already eligible for US import, I might think about importing one with all kinds of options and goodies never available here in the States... which raises the question: what is your "best spec" Land Cruiser 100, and why?

Obviously, this is totally subjective, but I'm curious to see what factory/dealer configurations people here like the most. No right or wrong answers.

Some relevant options to consider, in no specific order (there are probably many more out there that I'm not aware of):
  • Engine
    • 1FZ-FE
    • 2UZ-FE (non-VVTi vs VVTi)
    • 1HD-T
    • 1HD-FTE
  • Transmission
    • 4-speed automatic
    • 5-speed automatic
    • 5-speed manual
  • Toyota Land Cruiser 100/101 vs Toyota Land Cruiser Cygnus vs Lexus LX 470
  • Emissions: OBD2, catalytic converter, EVAP system, etc
  • Infotainment, interior materials (cloth/vinyl/leather), etc
  • AHC
  • Single fuel tank vs sub/dual fuel tanks
  • Full-time 4WD vs part-time 4WD
  • Sunroof/moonroof
  • Cyclonic air intake
  • Rear diff locker
  • Rear doors
    • Split tailgate/liftgate
    • Split tailgate/liftgate with swing-out tire carrier
    • Barn doors
    • Barn doors with tire carrier
  • Factory/dealer winch
  • LED headlights/tail lights
  • Front headlight washers
  • Factory/dealer bull bar, running boards/side steps, tail light covers, etc
  • Seats
    • 5 (2 front, 3 middle, 0 rear)
    • 7 (2 front, 3 middle, 2 rear)
    • 8 (2 front, 3 middle, 2 rear)
    • 9 (2 front, 3 middle, 4 rear - 2 benches facing each other)
  • Exterior: Color, decals, hood ornament, etc
  • Wheels
  • Regional packages like Active Vacation, etc
  • Factory/dealer roof rack
  • Power steering
  • Rear AC

2007 LX470 is the best hands down. A million people are about to comment 105! 105! 105! but they're just wrong.

The Amazon and Cygnus are basically an LX470 with Toyota badging. It was designed to take on the Range Rover, G-Wagen, and other high end 4x4s head-on and succeeded.

The US spec LX470 gets the VVTI engine which other markets don't get.

If you want a solid axle then get an 80 series, it's better at solid axle stuff than a heavy 105 will ever be. Otherwise if you just drive on the street, a 105 is just an uncomfortable 100 series.

2007 LX470 is the best hands down. A million people are about to comment 105! 105! 105! but they're just wrong.

The Amazon and Cygnus are basically an LX470 with Toyota badging. It was designed to take on the Range Rover, G-Wagen, and other high end 4x4s head-on and succeeded.

If you want a solid axle then get an 80 series, it's better at solid axle stuff than a heavy 105 will ever be. Otherwise if you just drive on the street, a 105 is just an uncomfortable 100 series.
I feel special now. Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, agreed on the 105 point, which is why I hope this thread will mostly be about 100s (and technically 101s). I might have been interested in an HDJ105, but since those don't exist, something like an HDJ80/81 would just be better.

I think the ideal spec for me would be a white GCC-spec 06-07 Land Cruiser with the 2UZ, 5-speed auto, AHC, a tailgate/rear swingout tire carrier setup, dual fuel tanks, no navigation, no third row, and the cyclonic air filter. I don't know exactly what the GCC locker situation is (some people say that the rear locker option ended in 02, others say that you could get it until 07), or if it was possible to get those other options on the same vehicle. I've never driven a VVTi 100, so I don't really have a frame of reference, but my 99 LX with the 4-speed feels plenty fast, so I'd probably value the additional range from dual fuel tanks offered in other markets more.

Yeah, agreed on the 105 point, which is why I hope this thread will mostly be about 100s (and technically 101s). I might have been interested in an HDJ105, but since those don't exist, something like an HDJ80/81 would just be better.

I think the ideal spec for me would be a white GCC-spec 06-07 Land Cruiser with the 2UZ, 5-speed auto, AHC, a tailgate/rear swingout tire carrier setup, dual fuel tanks, no navigation, no third row, and the cyclonic air filter. I don't know exactly what the GCC locker situation is (some people say that the rear locker option ended in 02, others say that you could get it until 07), or if it was possible to get those other options on the same vehicle. I've never driven a VVTi 100, so I don't really have a frame of reference, but my 99 LX with the 4-speed feels plenty fast, so I'd probably value the additional range from dual fuel tanks offered in other markets more.
There’s a 06-07 Lx470 that was recently posted on the chicago Craigslist with only 69k miles. White. Looks super clean. Some rust underneath but not rotted.

Edit: nvm it’s an 05. Still clean though.

Massively subjective and I’d say there isn’t one configuration that’s perfect from the factory.

One of the big reasons why LC’s are so attractive to me is the ability to modify one with high quality factory engineered parts that were available in different parts of the world.

Massively subjective and I’d say there isn’t one configuration that’s perfect from the factory.

One of the big reasons why LC’s are so attractive to me is the ability to modify one with high quality factory engineered parts that were available in different parts of the world.
Can you name an example of this? I'm not really seeing any of this happening on the forum. Pretty much nobody is swapping drivetrains, SAS's are almost nonexistent, I'm not seeing anyone swapping in non electric third side windows, manual oem seats from overseas etc... most of the builds in the US seem super mild and similar in nature (armor, mild lift and tires up to 35").

Most 100's are cool, and I would take a few flavors.
5 speed, cloth would be my only must haves.

LC 100
nonvvti or vvti (I like simple....I like more power...)
5 speed manual
no sunroof
cloth
no nav
no ahc
bigger tank
white

Can you name an example of this? I'm not really seeing any of this happening on the forum. Pretty much nobody is swapping drivetrains, SAS's are almost nonexistent, I'm not seeing anyone swapping in non electric third side windows, manual oem seats from overseas etc... most of the builds in the US seem super mild and similar in nature (armor, mild lift and tires up to 35").
Also curious, most of the foreign market part swaps I've seen are for small, individual parts, stuff like
  • Front side light covers without the US-spec orange reflectors
  • RHD warning lights/center diff lock switch and left-side blank installed to make room for a phone/radio mount on the driver's side of the center console
  • OEM winch cover with Toyota/Land Cruiser badging covering up front bumper license plate mount locations
The one part I'm really interested in is the rear tailgate/liftgate with a spare tire carrier - as far as I can tell, only one person here has actually done it. Beyond that, something like an OEM sub/dual tank system would be expensive/difficult to install and price inefficient versus something from LRA, same thing with engine, transmission, part-time 4WD swaps. Once you want enough OEM foreign market stuff, it's probably more cost efficient just to import one that already has everything you want, especially since we're already past the 25 year mark for early 100s.

Someone near me is selling an "HDJ100 conversion kit" that includes a RHD HDJ100 front cut, a transfer case, and maybe a few miscellaneous items. They want something like $17k just for the parts, and then you have to do all the work yourself. I'm pretty sure that for maybe a few grand more, you could bring in a running and driving HDJ100.

Also curious, most of the foreign market part swaps I've seen are for small, individual parts, stuff like
  • Front side light covers without the US-spec orange reflectors
  • RHD warning lights/center diff lock switch and left-side blank installed to make room for a phone/radio mount on the driver's side of the center console
  • OEM winch cover with Toyota/Land Cruiser badging covering up front bumper license plate mount locations
The one part I'm really interested in is the rear tailgate/liftgate with a spare tire carrier - as far as I can tell, only one person here has actually done it. Beyond that, something like an OEM sub/dual tank system would be expensive/difficult to install and price inefficient versus something from LRA, same thing with engine, transmission, part-time 4WD swaps. Once you want enough OEM foreign market stuff, it's probably more cost efficient just to import one that already has everything you want, especially since we're already past the 25 year mark for early 100s.

Someone near me is selling an "HDJ100 conversion kit" that includes a RHD HDJ100 front cut, a transfer case, and maybe a few miscellaneous items. They want something like $17k just for the parts, and then you have to do all the work yourself. I'm pretty sure that for maybe a few grand more, you could bring in a running and driving HDJ100.
Exactly it doesn’t make sense. The reason I brought this up is because while, yes, it can be done, most people, pretty much nobody does it because of the cost involved. This isn’t the IS/SC/GS crowd that regularly swap over JDM Toyota drivetrains because aside from some wiring is mostly plug and play and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

It's rare for sure. Off the top of my head there is the red turbo diesel, the barn door converted LC, a couple manual swaps... But yeah, not much when it comes to the big stuff. The 2UZ is so solid there is rarely good reason to swap it for something else, SAS is a lot of work when 80's exist (and LS swaps are relatively cheap and easy) and pop out quarter windows are just better. I sure wouldn't mind having manual seats but the cost involved wouldn't make much sense at all. I'll eventually get my hands on the smaller 2nd row seat from a RHD and a large center console but it hasn't reached the top of the priority list yet. Smaller parts like mud flaps are way more common due to cost/shipping.

Is there a model with 4.7 and solid front axle? If not, what about turbo diesel and solid front axle?

EDIT: Forgot I had this:
100 series models.jpeg

Last edited:
my dream 100. I bought a 98 which makes this impossible.

Rear E locker w/ 4.30 gears
5 speed auto
VVTI
Non nav

Is there a model with 4.7 and solid front axle? If not, what about turbo diesel and solid front axle?
No 100 Series came from the factory with a solid front axle and the 2UZ (4.7). The only "solid front axle" 100 Series is the 105, which is basically a 100 Series body on an 80 Series frame/drivetrain, but the engine options are limited to the 1FZ (petrol) and the 1HZ (diesel, but non-turbo). If you want a turbodiesel and a solid front axle, the options are (I believe) the previous gen HDJ80/81s (1HD variants), the HJ61 (12HT), and then various 70 Series with the 1HD, or the 1VD starting in 2007.

I'd probably go FZJ105 with tailgate, 5sp auto FZ because you can turbo it later with good results. 5sp auto because it's better for wheeling in the rocks vs 5sp manual. Would want dual t-cases if manual transmission.

I'd actually take Leather seats because they are easier to clean, don't absorb dirt and odors as easily as cloth. More durable too. Barebones electronic options as possible as these are hitting 25 years old.

Reactions: GTV
my dream 100. I bought a 98 which makes this impossible.

Rear E locker w/ 4.30 gears
5 speed auto
VVTI
Non nav

Ha, that’s mine apart from the 4.30’s and locker (I’ve kinda given up looking for them at this point).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom