Whats everyone using for upgraded sway bars now? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn, time for heimed arms at that point, and maybe a antirock. Thats crazy!

What would the heimed arms accomplish? I guess they would limit flex, but how would that help the leanies?

When I chatted with the guy at NavTec in Moab a year ago, he told me they put a whiteline on one of their rigs in an effort to combat breaking OE rear sway bars at a rate of about 4 per year. He said the bar seems to be holding up fine, but it’s ripped apart just about everything it’s mounted to on the frame (they’ve tried both ways) and it shreds the axle bushings in short order.

Not surprised. Guys are adding a crazy stiff sway bar so it handles like a sports car but then still want it to flex well. These upgraded bars are not going to fail. What will fail is all the mounting points. A stiffer OE bar is good for a truck that sees mostly highway miles and mild trails but if you're out on the trails forcing the suspension to flex it's only a matter of time before something tears off.

Folks need to seriously consider the 3-piece sway bar as an option. I've done it. So has Nukegoat and Apounder. Nukegoat even figured out how to make it work in the front.

What would the heimed arms accomplish? I guess they would limit flex, but how would that help the leanies?
It allows articulation of the arm but its all free of bind, until it gets really angled(usually more than a axle will articulate) so it leaves the stress off of the mounting points. Bushings are at some amount of bind at anything past 1*, so always stressing if there is any axle angle at all.

Its also smoother and more predictable through range of motion because of the lack of bind.

With the always-present debate of rubber vs poly bushes, what's the view on this with regard to swaybars? Esp with 80's that do not have ball-joint end ones (like mine - it has cotton reel bush end swaybars).

FWIW ordered front bar from Andy’s branded as TJM but had Whiteline instructions enclosed. Came from Land of Oz, took about 4-6 weeks. I don’t like oversteer.

In my past lives, when I had 1 ton axles and 40” tires, I just always ran without sway bars, sure there was a lot of sway, but the bottom part of the truck was way heavy. In the 80, I tried the sway bar quick disconnect, but still ripped it off even when it was pinned out of the way. My current strategy is stock sway bars on the street, zero weight up top, and ditch those things the minute the tires touch dirt. Are these stiffer sway bars making a noticeable difference for the price?

Anyone else order a white line rear sway last week and get the notice from Andy's that they're discontinued? Cause that just happened to me :(

Order direct from Australia?

Whiteline Suspension Bushings suitable for TOYOTA LANDCRUISER FJ80, FZJ80, HDJ80, HZJ80 (1/1990-2/1998)

I was running with no rear swaybar for about 4 years until I replaced the entire rear axle/diff housing assembly and could re-fit the original one. The front one has been on the whole time but with Superior Eng 'superflex' arms installed the orientation of the front swaybar is just slightly 'off' though it doesn't appear to have given me any troubles from that.

Order direct from Australia?

Whiteline Suspension Bushings suitable for TOYOTA LANDCRUISER FJ80, FZJ80, HDJ80, HZJ80 (1/1990-2/1998)

I was running with no rear swaybar for about 4 years until I replaced the entire rear axle/diff housing assembly and could re-fit the original one. The front one has been on the whole time but with Superior Eng 'superflex' arms installed the orientation of the front swaybar is just slightly 'off' though it doesn't appear to have given me any troubles from that.
Ended up ordering a TJM . Looks like it's slated to ship mid April .

I am a latecomer to this thread with an update. Contacted Whiteline Australia and they have discontinued the BTR46X. Tried to order a 30mm sway bar from TJM (through an American distributor). After 2.5 months the distributor still could not get a ship date. I canceled the order. Any ideas on a supplier for a HD sway bar? Thanks.

On a complete sidetrack while just barely touching the topic, I've always thought it would be fun to use a torsion bar from a GM 3/4 ton truck, and use the rear key to separate a sway link with some sort of in cab control, I suppose you could from an early ifs 4runner too but I think the torsion rods are shorter.

I like the idea of having a remote operated sway disconnect, and very stiff sway bars for the rest of the drive, the system would have to be very reliable though. I couldnt be bothered with climbing under a muddy truck to disconnect a sway bar and reconnect whenever needed.

I am a latecomer to this thread with an update. Contacted Whiteline Australia and they have discontinued the BTR46X. Tried to order a 30mm sway bar from TJM (through an American distributor). After 2.5 months the distributor still could not get a ship date. I canceled the order. Any ideas on a supplier for a HD sway bar? Thanks.
Same question

I received an e-mail yesterday from Whiteline Australia says that if I placed an order directly with them, they would ship the sway bar to their CA office and then send it to me. Cost is $279, and they are charging CA state tax which brings the total to $301. I placed an order and will follow up on how this works out.

Bought mine on Ebay, they're still around, but you gotta buy it from either Oz or Europe and pay a bit more for shipping.

BTR46X Whiteline Rear Sway/Anti-Roll Bar - 30mm X Heavy Duty 9319924342242 | eBay

IMG_9574.JPG

My weight is at 6950# and having a lot of sway I upgraded to the rear to WHite Line and the front remains stock and absolutely love the set up. I do use SwayBar disconnect for the front when off roading and feel I lost maybe 5-10% loss in rear articulation.

Latest testing shows I can get 100% articulation out of the rear with the WhiteLine rear swaybar but it does not come as easy as with the stock set up. I did adjust lengthen my swaybar links to optimize since installed.

OXr8MwTWdTZa7kQNFL2nUcripKH8crERR2-1px35fBN14wYwRmrIgg8hJZ994h7pcoC4q-ckI6ZeC9G8JrfuuwPO1zAx3AsfJpRq_39QPpi5oAvfNz1H3g2WrZc-rVd_NYyZ5C8QmpSYyZASjMZT9AOON87aME_YjoCswpeMGasHG8zwyi-IkzZx2YiBkjOAjxVfpJ87Wlz4iT9jH0xIfs9nGVbf8E9IQAcfSCs-S_6d0XR32vOWWHKefOGxU_MSoJZdY7kG7OcZTLpd1Q2etxl6B3Im-hmGiOl5l52Of6EWKrAfsR4chKFL5GhXBFTDuaoMBZkkAju_ny_HZqMzYxRJjv5Nwkn2NWm8GQ5HoyiP2fKVuWsf8yKOPEsZs8uc8oUl4tecpNtLtjizDCUK7ZoAOhWtsqm6SisGZwxp0iJ1q2y-4HMIOsYKfihQ0yREYpCZAn7Jy2_vJVs4KizpYm1z6duW0DG4EQwg9sU2QXCBVps4SyODx0ByHpRRJ9gWE_zllrcCmY0WoT_FTqKPZoCwgy9jyLiDuazlGg9b57K5ljANEhMUtuKZYC1ZiCCEf_dbmSATpmb8heK5njMZ481v3ZgbL5h9QgeJvWZykWnNgzHEm0WwA-KbbTQqJbwY=w1407-h938-no

@amay3 any update on your progress?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom