What Steering Box Do I have? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I got a '76FJ40 about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've changed all the fluids, Tie rods, Parking Brake, Fixed a crap load of electrical issues. Now I'm onto rebuilding the power steering since it is all wet down there.

From this wonderful forum I know there is Saginaw, minitruck, ETC. However, apart from Saginaw (due to how it's installed) I don't know what these boxes look like. So I'm sorry to ask can anyone ID my box?

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

Looks like a Saginaw box, but I've never seen one mounted on a pedestal. Usually that box is mounted in front of then front crossmember.

Looks like a Saginaw box that someone has welded a mounting plate to the threaded holes facing up are the proper mounts
The pitman arm looks like a modded bronco f150 one
Will suck if it starts leaking because you won't be able to just get a replacement
I'd ? The quality of the weld to cast on a rather critical component

I cannot fathom how that configuration could possibly be safe. It gets my vote for a Darwin Award and the fast track to the dump.

THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO MAKE THAT SAFE.

I'll second what Mark is saying. That is a failure that hasn't happened yet. Please redo that before you drive it again. Search Saginaw steering conversion here to see how it supposed to be done.

Nick

Here's info to help you identify the steering gear box you have, that hopefully you will remount properly before I ride in your vehicle:
1977-older had a 13/16 " diameter by 36 spline input shaft.
1978-newer had a 3/4" diameter by 30 spline input shaft.
1980-older gear boxes had 5/8" and 11/16" SAE threaded fittings that used "flared" hoses.
1981-newer gear boxes had 16mm and 18mm threaded fittings that used o-ring type hoses (not flared).

It's probably leaking because the welding has warped the housing And x10000000000 on it being unsafe

:eek: Just when you think you've seen the worst p/s conversion ever, another example of insane shade tree engineering pops up.

Installed no doubt related to the same guy who thought the air pump would be a good belt drive source for the ps pump. From my Wall of Shame:
IMG_1165.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom