What is the low groan sound on startup? [VIDEO] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Hey yo,
My 2000 LX470 makes a sort of low groaning sound on start up that goes away in around 2-3 seconds. Been happening since I got the car. Consistently always makes the sound when starting up warm or cold. Car seems to run and operate just fine, so I dont know if it is a major concern but it is for sure annoying.

The sound for sure comes from the engine. sounds like some kind of rubbing sound or a bad bearing of sorts

At first I thought maybe it was a starter but it doesnt sound like a worn/chip tooth running on the flywheel, so I crossed it off
I checked the belt and it looks in decent shape.
I took out and checked the alternator a while back whilst fixing something else there, the bearing on it was ok, could be better.

I looked around and saw people say it could be the powersteering lacking fluid but mine is at a good level. So I'm not sure

wondering if anyone is familiar with this sound?

10W 40 seems too thick. 5W-30 is what is recommended. You may also have an A/M fan clutch, clogged Radiator/AC condenser fins.

10W 40 seems too thick. 5W-30 is what is recommended. You may also have an A/M fan clutch, clogged Radiator/AC condenser fins.
It seems regarding on what oil that is recommended is a debated topic for these cars, but from what I learned when I was researching is that 5w-30 is the recommended spec for the North america to northern hemisphere region (colder environments / cold seasons) as mentioned in the driver manuals of those regions.
Whereas in Australia where the majority of the area does not get nearly as cold can use something as thin as 5w-30 all the way to 20w-50, as mentioned in the Australian's driver manual.
The locals here in Australia like to run oils thicker to take advantage of the protective properties of thicker oils. of course there's pros and cons to it.

So I hope I'm not offending ya or making it seem like I'm brushing off your advice on oil weight as I still believe that 10w-40 is alright.

In regards to your other component that you mentioned I should check.
The fan clutch seem okay, it was spinning freely as it should when cold and spinning at crank speed at temp. Bearing doesnt seem to make any sound when spinning by hand

And the radiator has been replaced about 15,000 km ago and I've been doing flushes and cleaning in the cleaning system for awhile ever since I replaced the water pump.
The AC condenser fins look alright, there were some little bents here and there but nothing deal breaking.

May be the starter.
Since you seemed pointed out the starter may be the sound, I went back to looking again for examples of similar sounds for bad starters.
I saw a lot of videos of grinding, screeching and others with ticking noises.
But I found one video among the lot that sounds pretty similar.

Well now I have a good feeling it's the starter and I'm gonna think about seeing if I want to replace/ rebuilt it soon or later.
Thanks for the tip.

Typically but not always. Start fails to crank now and then on first try, only to turn/work shortly thereafter. This is early warning sign. Which I saw one go for 2 years like that, before dead. This is more times than not, due to contacts and plunger wear.

When they make a groaning sound, which is not typically. It's likely the drive, bearings and or gears. This can damage the flex plate teeth.
This one had remote start. I suspected owner was hitting start after it was running. It gave him issues for 2 years, before dead. Flex plates was damaged, but still usable.
Starter old (2).JPG

Last edited:
BTW: Starter replacement is a red flag for me, when doing PPI for myself or hire. Why? All to often poor prep & button-up procedures, leading too dirt/sand dropped into intake ports of head. It's a compressor killer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom