What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

See now, that's what I'm talking about! When I take my engine blocks, axle housings etc to the scrap yard, they weigh my truck when I drive in, and weigh it when I leave. I almost always find some interesting pieces of metal while I'm in there, and 'buy' it for the same cheap-ass price they're paying me for my cheit. I kid you not. I have a toolbox door, handle and latches, from a service body truck, that I picked up at the scrap yard, for probably under a buck by weight.

Yep, went across the state today. A guy I knew (a Harley Davidson enthusiast, deceased now) wife is selling off his old bike stuff. Found a bunch of steel plate, I beam, and angle laying between a old 64 SS Impala and a 66 Mustang. Got it for a song, along with 2 Shovelhead top end gasket sets and good used 5 speed drive gear. Gotta keep your eyes open.

@Vossie, y'all don't have a scrap yard close enough to check to see if there is some metal to be had cheap? That's how I get most of what I use and cheap, that and cut offs from a boiler and tank fab shop.

See now, that's what I'm talking about! When I take my engine blocks, axle housings etc to the scrap yard, they weigh my truck when I drive in, and weigh it when I leave. I almost always find some interesting pieces of metal while I'm in there, and 'buy' it for the same cheap-ass price they're paying me for my cheit. I kid you not. I have a toolbox door, handle and latches, from a service body truck, that I picked up at the scrap yard, for probably under a buck by weight.

the issue we have here is that theres 99% unemployment rate. scrap metal here is worth quite a bit as people are forever looking for ways to use it to make a buck. the other problem we have here is people over value pretty much everything when its second hand. if your selling you could get about $250 US a ton, but buying, you'll be paying that for a 1/4 ton

the issue we have here is that theres 99% unemployment rate. scrap metal here is worth quite a bit as people are forever looking for ways to use it to make a buck. the other problem we have here is people over value pretty much everything when its second hand. if your selling you could get about $250 US a ton, but buying, you'll be paying that for a 1/4 ton

Wow, that ain't good.

@wngrog where did you get those battery cables and terminals

There is a vendor in the small business section selling them. If you can't find him I'll dig up receipt

My wife gave me this super rad key chain for Valentines Day.
FB_IMG_1487963734799.jpg

There is a vendor in the small business section selling them. If you can't find him I'll dig up receipt

My friend, I couldn't find the vendor at small business section. Could please send me the contact

Thank you

This week : simply planning-out, even further, how to physically & monetarily go about the body color & utility of various other coatings on my own FJ40.

Wanting to repaint the dissembled body components prior to rebuilding the rest of the vehicle. Although it's merely been a money-issue, and that of a priority-issue, here at my end, the mental process of selecting a best-fit color, for me, has been a multi-year endeavor. I've gone back & fourth, back & fourth, back & fourth on different schemes (as I've no intention of ever selling the vehicle, its future color is critically important to me). The main problem, for me, is the ethics of deviating from an OEM color, native to the 40-series. Ethically, if to be an OEM color, I can't envision going outside the vehicle's natural, factory Sky Blue; which, was repainted to a metallic blue-green color by the vehicle's previous owner (more than 20 years ago). Unfortunately, I won't be going with Sky Blue. And I've yet to settle on a different factory color, let alone one correct for my 1979. My rebuilt vehicle will need to be a restomod; although, the engine & most of the used components throughout the vehicle will be original from the factory. Most of the other components will be of the OEM type, but mixed with some aftermarket components (exhaust headers, distributor, carburetor, modified rear sill & tailgate, etc.).

I've previously presented my idea of color within this thread, a handful of pages back, but here is yet another one of my images of the color I envision my '40 become - as it reveals its conceived color yet further. I'm believing this will look good with the Cygnus White roof & front bezel, and looks outstanding with black & stainless too. Virtually any color will go with it well (jerry cans, 4x4 jack, bungee cords, gold reflector fog lights, etc). The particular paint for this color is an expensive one, as in $400/gallon. It's the industrial-grade, Imron Elite line from DuPont/Axalta; will be the line's 2K Single Stage coating; and is formerly called 'Gray Black.' However, while recently doing research on the color code of this specific color, the same code refers to the color as having been called 'Aircraft Green.' At least within the military & American govt. It had been a military hue of color used somewhat frequently on AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters from the mid 60's, until the end of the 70's. Interesting to me, the color indeed becomes a true shade of green. But it also becomes a taupe, a bronze, or even a bronze-copper (I'm guessing because of pearls within the paint formula ? - although is not at all metallic or pearl looking when seen up close. It looks like a common, solid color.). And it transcends from fairly light in its hue under hard sunlight to really dark. It's basically black, at night. Below is a unique image of mine of this color (and helicopter) under diffused sunlight due to the overcast clouds above it :

msp_MarcStPierre_Copyright2016_Cobra826_16-04102sm.jpg

And below here is my own concept of my rebuilt '40 (to be used regularly as my own dogger-car / trail rig), with an OEM styled soft top (preferably dark brown canvas or denim material), with the vehicle's paint in the 'Gray Black' / 'Aircraft Green' paint scheme of Cobra 826. Incidentally, my wheels will be the exact same color & appearance as that shown below - as I've already long ago painted them, and they appear precisely the same. The image below was extracted, by me, from eBay, of a Dune Beige '78 recently sold; and, is a vehicle no doubt familiar by others here on MUD. I simply altered its appearance via Photoshop.

My own vehicle will need the black rear wheel flare (which I added here), as my vehicle's previous owner had trimmed its rear wheel-well for the application of a white flare. Although I have on-hand a brand new pair of white flares, they'll now be out of place, as I'll naturally be inclined to go with black ones for this paint scheme. Additionally, the black seen in the area of the rocker panel would be that of black Raptor bedliner. And sentimental to me, the vehicle's kick-vent will be painted Sky Blue (my vehicle's native color); and atop the Sky Blue of the kick-vent, I'll hand-paint a winged dog, which is & has been my logo. I'll do this exact same for the top of the vehicle's gear shift knob.

msp_MarcStPierre_LCconcept_17-02174sm.jpg

Thanks,
~Skydog

Last edited:
Over the past few weeks, I've just been driving my rig...pumping some ethanol free gas in it...driving it more...then adding more of the good gas....

Oh, I also installed some new 90950-01199 rubber stoppers in the rear tire carrier.

IMG_0326.jpg

This week : simply planning-out, even further, how to physically & monetarily go about the body color & utility of various other coatings on my own FJ40.

Wanting to repaint the dissembled body components prior to rebuilding the rest of the vehicle. Although it's merely been a money-issue, here at my end, the mental process of selecting a best-fit color, for me, has been a multi-year endeavor. I've gone back & fourth, back & fourth, back & fourth on different schemes. The main problem, for me, is the ethics of deviating from an OEM color, native to the 40-series. Ethically, if to be an OEM color, I can't envision going outside the vehicle's natural, factory Sly Blue; which, was repainted to a metallic blue-green color by the vehicle's previous owner, more than 20 years ago. Unfortunately, I won't be going with Sky Blue. And I've yet to settle on a different factory color, let alone one correct for my 1979. My rebuilt vehicle will need to be a restomod; although, the engine & most of the used components throughout the vehicle will be original from the factory. Most of the other components will be of the OEM type, but mixed with some aftermarket components (exhaust headers, distributor, carburetor, modified rear sill & tailgate, etc.).

I've previously presented my idea of color within this thread, a handful of pages back, but here is yet another one of my images of the color I envision my '40 become - as it reveals its conceived color yet further. I'm believing this will look good with the Cygnus White roof & front bezel, and looks good with black & stainless too. Virtually any color will go with it well (jerry cans, 4x4 jack, bungee cords, etc). The particular paint for this color is an expensive one, as in $400/gallon. It's the industrial, Imron Elite line from DuPont/Axalta, will be the line's 2K Single Stage coating, and is formerly called 'Gray Black.' However, while recently doing research on the color code of this specific color, the same code refers to the color as having been called 'Aircraft Green.' At least within the military & American govt. It had been a military hue of color used somewhat frequently on AH-1 Cobra attack helicopters from the mid 60's, until the end of the 70's. Interesting to me, the color indeed becomes a true shade of green. But it also becomes a taupe, a bronze, or even a bronze-copper (I'm guessing because of pearls within the paint formula ? - although is not at all metallic or pearl looking when seen up close. It looks like a common, solid color.). And it transcends from fairly light in its hue under hard sunlight to really dark. It's basically black, at night. Below is a unique image of mine of this color (and helicopter) under diffused sunlight due to the overcast clouds above it :

View attachment 1409080

And below here is my own concept of my rebuilt '40 (to be used regularly as my own dogger-car, trail rig), with an OEM styled soft top (preferably dark brown canvas or denim material), with the vehicle's paint in the 'Gray Black / 'Aircraft Green' paint scheme of Cobra 826. Incidentally, my wheels will be the exact same color & appearance as that shown below - as I've already long ago painted them, and they appear precisely the same. The image below was extracted, by me, from eBay, of a Dune Beige '78 recently sold; and, is a vehicle no doubt familiar by others here on MUD. I simply altered its appearance via Photoshop. - - My own vehicle will need the black rear wheel flare (which I added here), as my vehicle's previous owner had trimmed its rear wheel-well for the application of a white flare. Although I now have on-hand a brand new pair of white flares, they'll now be out of place, as I'll naturally be inclined to go with the black ones for this paint scheme. And the black seen in the area of the rocker panel would be that of black Raptor bedliner.

Its kick vent will be painted Sky Blue (my vehicle's native color); and on top of that, I'll hand-paint a winged dog, which is & has been my logo. I'll do this exact same for the top of the vehicle's gear shift knob.

View attachment 1409139
Thanks,
~Skydog

Wasn't this rig just on Ebay?

Wasn't this rig just on Ebay?
Correct.

I didn't follow the eBay listing until the end, when it was actually sold. I simply stumbled across the listing and was wowed by seeing it for sale yet once again. Perhaps sold in the mid $30's ?? Over the past number of years, I'm fairly sure I've seen this exact same '78 rig for sale more than once. Personally, I've no clue as to why, because it's one of the most beautiful rigs around. Most definitely one of my favorites. The brown canvas roof & matching interior, plus the dark steel painted wheels - really make it look special. I'm believing @overton is or has been the sales agent ? And I'd therefore think he'd have been the one to have made the original picture - that I extracted from the Internet & manipulated for my own visionary purpose for a paint scheme. ~Skydog

78za10.jpg

~Skydog

Over the past few weeks, I've just been driving my rig...pumping some ethanol free gas in it...driving it more...then adding more of the good gas....

Oh, I also installed some new 90950-01199 rubber stoppers in the rear tire carrier.

View attachment 1409092
I'm highly impressed by your common attention to fine detail. ~m.

DSCN0657.JPG
Cut out rear sill (tubing PO had put in) and corner channels
DSCN0633.JPG
DSCN0652.JPG
But now we have a problem
DSCN0659.JPG

Looks to me like, they cut off the quarters, put the tube in, then fit the quarters to the tube. So, the bottom lips on the quarters will have to go. May be better to bend it up, think it will cover the sill.

Last edited:
Started pulling the rear brake lines getting ready to change over to rear discs. I'd wager that my driver side rear drum hasn't worked since I've owned it.
IMG_8394.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom