What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went through that two years ago, left the 40 in gear, reverse, and hit the switch. It lurched backwards and as I was thrown back I grabbed the door catch and it ripped open my palm. I had 9 stitches. Needless to say I now check and double check to see if it is in neutral BEFORE I do anything.

Hand.JPG

For the few on the forum who know me personally, they will agree I am NOT a politically correct person. I had an idea of something I wanted to do to my 40 for a long time and I finally was able to get it done this morning. This isn't something that can be seen from close up and is easier to be seen from high above. Japanese Naval Ensign. Seeing as how I was in the dirt Navy for three years, most of it in Vietnam, the Naval Ensign is a good fit.

DSCN0765.JPG

For the few on the forum who know me personally, they will agree I am NOT a politically correct person. I had an idea of something I wanted to do to my 40 for a long time and I finally was able to get it done this morning. This isn't something that can be seen from close up and is easier to be seen from high above. Japanese Naval Ensign. Seeing as how I was in the dirt Navy for three years, most of it in Vietnam, the Naval Ensign is a good fit.

View attachment 2002846

The people in my dad's generation that served in the Pacific Theater in WWI (like my dad did - he was in the Navy too) that might be offended are mostly gone now. I had a boss once who was super pissed when he saw that I drove a Toyota. My dad got over it, and bought Japanese cameras, stereo equipment, and cars in his middle to late life.

FWIW, I like it.

The people in my dad's generation that served in the Pacific Theater in WWI (like my dad did - he was in the Navy too) that might be offended are mostly gone now. I had a boss once who was super pissed when he saw that I drove a Toyota. My dad got over it, and bought Japanese cameras, stereo equipment, and cars in his middle to late life.

FWIW, I like it.

My late father-in-law (awesome man) served in the Pacific during WWll..... HE wouldn’t have been offended at all - he married a Japanese girl and brought her home!

*I’m right fond of my 1/2 Japanese wife as well as my Toyota vehicles! :grinpimp:

Last edited:
I love this thread, but as I kill time in the ER waiting room I’m thinking we should start a thread that is “what has your Land Cruiser done to you this week”.

Neosporin/Gorilla tape for bandages and Tetanus update should be first items to acquire when starting a FJ project

Took it out amongst the peoples...
Downtown Salem Oregon...

20190614_141414.jpg

Last edited:
Much needed overhaul of the parking brake system on the Karma Cruiser. Once again, the immortal words of @pismojim are heard: “ If it weren’t for pizza, shop lights and trip deadlines, our trucks would never get done.”
7DBCD736-FF72-4EDA-8D02-DEC926808214.jpeg

I finally committed to making some progress on mine. Got it insured and title transferred and registered in GA (cost me a whopping $39).

Sold my daily driver Honda Element today and plan on driving and wrenching on the cruiser more now.

Lady I sold the Element to today asked why I was selling it. I told her it was to force myself to work on my project vehicle. She was super sweet lady, asks what my project vehicle is. I don't expect her to have any idea what I'm talking about when I say it's an old Toyota Land Cruiser. But she sure got all excited and said her husband and both his brother's used to have them, and that her son has one now.

Next thing I know she's asking if I've been to the mountains in North Georgia and when I say no she says I'm missing out. Starts telling me l can take my family to her cabin up there!

I'm already feeling good about the cruiser karma coming my way for committing to driving it more😁

Had to drive it back to work this afternoon. It's ugly, but it's fun to drive!

Went through that two years ago, left the 40 in gear, reverse, and hit the switch. It lurched backwards and as I was thrown back I grabbed the door catch and it ripped open my palm. I had 9 stitches. Needless to say I now check and double check to see if it is in neutral BEFORE I do anything.

View attachment 2002680
Reminds me of the chunk I took out between thumb and index finger when working on the lathe.

Another time I was working on my 40 and after knocking off for the day cleaning up decided to hit the starter one more time to see how it fired up.
Reach in and turned the key and it fired right away and was in reverse.
I darn near ran over my twit self before I manged to switch the key off.

I put a brake switch in the spot where the clutch adjustment is so now I have to push on the clutch before the engine will start.
As I get older I am finding I have to idiot proof more stuff for self preservation.

Got back from getting supplies for cutting and buffing my new fenders which I painted last week.
Started with 800 wet, then up to 1500, then 2k, then 3k. All wet...

Cutting is tricky on single stage urethane. Go easy, let the paper do the work, use a flexible sanding block. If done correctly you will eliminate orange peel and have a nice smooth finish ready for buffing.

Buffed it out in three stages using heavy, med, then light foam pads with my dual action buffer.
I used mequires 205 then 105 compounds.

Still need to undercoat then finally wax.

20190614_154736.jpg

20190614_154706.jpg

20190614_154539.jpg

I finally committed to making some progress on mine. Got it insured and title transferred and registered in GA (cost me a whopping $39).

Sold my daily driver Honda Element today and plan on driving and wrenching on the cruiser more now.

Lady I sold the Element to today asked why I was selling it. I told her it was to force myself to work on my project vehicle. She was super sweet lady, asks what my project vehicle is. I don't expect her to have any idea what I'm talking about when I say it's an old Toyota Land Cruiser. But she sure got all excited and said her husband and both his brother's used to have them, and that her son has one now.

Next thing I know she's asking if I've been to the mountains in North Georgia and when I say no she says I'm missing out. Starts telling me l can take my family to her cabin up there!

I'm already feeling good about the cruiser karma coming my way for committing to driving it more😁

Had to drive it back to work this afternoon. It's ugly, but it's fun to drive!

View attachment 2003092
Haha, you're a bit like me, I cant see anything in the carpark except my 40 either... ;)

Unfortunately due to some family complications I had to put the ol’ Girl up for sale. I hope the next buyer thinks she’s as fun as I do. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

• flee
Back
Top Bottom