What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (53 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

12k to go to be in the 250k club!

5F9B9686-AAC1-4546-8159-163B71E42804.jpeg

Car started overheating with AC on at 100 degrees outside. then would overheat at 70 degrees with AC on, to overheating when passing cars on the highway with no AC on. Definitely a bit scary seeing the needle bounce up and down when idling or on the highway. Brought it to the shop and changed the thermostat and flushed the coolant. $85 later, truck is running normal.

Thanks, going to go to a diff rack, wasn’t sure what to do with the mounting holes. I didn’t know if they had a blank cover or anything as I assume the factory mounting points would not be used.

There is a trim cover that fills the rectangular hole in the roof trim: p/n 75557-60010

image-jpeg.1253208

upload_2018-7-18_12-23-53.jpeg

but it would do nothing to keep water out. A little silicone/sealant on the bolt threads and around the bolt holes is the way to "seal" it

New Revos cheap on Craigs List!
Not as big as I had planned but brand new and about 1/3 the price !!!

FB068DE9-7B2E-4079-AF0C-A6861C8C6378.jpeg

D3F06500-C241-43AC-8AC1-8C1A127CA4F0.jpeg

42C845EE-8A13-4489-A53B-06B5D0727B0A.jpeg

Drives and handles much tighter than the Michelin that were on it on Sunday!

Also replaced the Hood Struts,Antenna and Weathertech Digital Fit Mats in the front.

I have the bigger rear seat out and am deciding how to build my heinous work storage platform at this point.
So far I have Unit Strut bolted in across the rear in 2 spots but bigger plans are in progress waiting for the Weekend for sure.

I am patterning the thing after what I did in the 80 which worked well for me for a long time.

So far I am loving this one!:D

Last edited:
New Revos cheap on Craigs List!
Not as big as I had planned but brand new and about 1/3 the price !!!
I definitely get that feeling... I'm on tundra highway tires cause they were free with the cheap, brand new wheels. The extra mileage helps offset the tiny feet look too.

I definitely get that feeling... I'm on tundra highway tires cause they were free with the cheap, brand new wheels. The extra mileage helps offset the tiny feet look too.
Yeah I wasn't really planning on that much bigger anyway so when I saw these 275/65/18 new with stickers for $350 it was not a tough thing to pull the trigger on!

These are also not the E range Revo which I would have gotten and the E are more stiff and noisy overall so I appreciate the smoother ride with these anyway.
I was planning on getting the Revo already and this is my 5th set after having them on 3 different Tundras and really just loving everything about them for a long time now.

I had E's on my '07 Tundy and they were a little obnoxious where the LT like these on my '01 Tundy were much easier to live with in the end.

Installed Tough Dog rear 45mm adjustable shocks to compliment the 53mm fronts as well as the torsion bars. These things are awesome and the ability to adjust them on the fly is perfect! Can’t wait to put them to the test in Colorado next week. The company of my dog was nice, although he proved useless when it came time to actually work....For reference, that is an original rear shock from 2000 that has 206k miles on it:eek: To say they were shot would be an understatement!

62309939-EE10-41F8-B0F2-01BE25780634.jpeg

I didn’t want to drill any holes in the cargo area so I drilled one through the upper part of the shock and stuck a screw driver through it, all while loosening the top nut with a 22mm gearwrench. Y’all were not kidding....the rear shocks are a PITA to change! As you can see it actually bent my screwdriver:doh:

DB935244-1FDC-4ED0-9358-BEC72186A9AA.jpeg

EB028E26-39E4-4BA0-B7DF-58634695AA68.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed Tough Dog rear 45mm adjustable shocks to compliment the 53mm fronts as well as the torsion bars. These things are awesome and the ability to adjust them on the fly is perfect! Can’t wait to put them to the test in Colorado next week. The company of my dog was nice, although he proved useless when it came time to actually work....

View attachment 1747636

I didn’t want to drill any holes in the cargo area so I drilled one through the upper part of the shock and stuck a screw driver through it, all while loosening the top nut with a 22mm gearwrench. Y’all were not kidding....the rear shocks are a PITA to change!

View attachment 1747637

View attachment 1747638

What sway bar is that? Mine is rusted and i'm just looking for an excuse to change it.

I just got my Tough Dog adjustables delivered, too! I had ordered the 53mm fronts from Jason at Trail Tailor, and was very impressed with them. So I decided to go ahead and get the Tour Flex springs and rear shocks to shore things up in the rear. Now I just have to find time for the install. Any input on yours so far?

Installed Tough Dog rear 45mm adjustable shocks to compliment the 53mm fronts as well as the torsion bars. These things are awesome and the ability to adjust them on the fly is perfect! Can’t wait to put them to the test in Colorado next week. The company of my dog was nice, although he proved useless when it came time to actually work....

View attachment 1747636

I didn’t want to drill any holes in the cargo area so I drilled one through the upper part of the shock and stuck a screw driver through it, all while loosening the top nut with a 22mm gearwrench. Y’all were not kidding....the rear shocks are a PITA to change!

View attachment 1747637

View attachment 1747638

What sway bar is that? Mine is rusted and i'm just looking for an excuse to change it.
Its just OEM. I had the bar off when I installed extended links from @reevesci a while back and noticed it was extremely rusted and pitted. Wire wheeled it and painted it red to add 10hp:)

I just got my Tough Dog adjustables delivered, too! I had ordered the 53mm fronts from Jason at Trail Tailor, and was very impressed with them. So I decided to go ahead and get the Tour Flex springs and rear shocks to shore things up in the rear. Now I just have to find time for the install. Any input on yours so far?
Initial impressions are very optimistic. Although I haven't put any real miles on them yet I have taken them over quite a few speed bumps in my neighborhood and they are a significant improvement over the tired OEM shocks they replaced. The truck settles faster after bumps and doesn't bob up and down nearly as much. Also, I have much less fish-tailing around corners which I was experiencing because, like you said, I've also been running the 53mm's up front with torsion bars for a few months but the rears have been the originals with 206k miles on them. Felt like I would start to drift halfway through a turn. Overall I am extremely impressed and have found 4 to be my personal favorite setting for casual daily driving. SPC UCA's, IronMan springs, and Tough Dog torsion bars & shocks make it ride like a completely new truck! You have another happy customer @reevesci!!

How did you take the logos off and re-attach?

I plastidip per my logos but after the chipping, etc I want to pull my logos and use real paint.

Thanks!

I used a heat gun on low and a plastic razor blade to pry them off. Then goo-gone to remove the residue, then a power buff cutting wax and polish to dress up the whole surface. Then I used a 3M plastic emblem adhesive to put them back on. Used painters tape to locate the logos with painstaking detail prior to putting them on. That step is important! Good luck!

Where did you get those? Been trying to find online, but came up short? Mine are pink too!

EssentraComponentsUS - EssentraComponentsUS

Call them and tell them you need the Destaco red rubber handles for the 341-RSS clamp. Part number should be DEM-325301. They are $1.97 each. I ordered 4 and went with USPS. I paid less than $10 for all 4 shipped.

Installed Tough Dog rear 45mm adjustable shocks to compliment the 53mm fronts as well as the torsion bars. These things are awesome and the ability to adjust them on the fly is perfect! Can’t wait to put them to the test in Colorado next week. The company of my dog was nice, although he proved useless when it came time to actually work....For reference, that is an original rear shock from 2000 that has 206k miles on it:eek: To say they were shot would be an understatement!

View attachment 1747636

I didn’t want to drill any holes in the cargo area so I drilled one through the upper part of the shock and stuck a screw driver through it, all while loosening the top nut with a 22mm gearwrench. Y’all were not kidding....the rear shocks are a PITA to change! As you can see it actually bent my screwdriver:doh:

View attachment 1747637

View attachment 1747638
Totally interested in these shocks from Tough Dog. Did you purchase them locally or from an online shop? Let us know how they work out. Also, I am learning about suspensions for my LX '03 and I really like the adjustable shock and price of the Tough Dogs. Quick questions: why 53mm in front and 45mm rear?

Totally interested in these shocks from Tough Dog. Did you purchase them locally or from an online shop? Let us know how they work out. Also, I am learning about suspensions for my LX '03 and I really like the adjustable shock and price of the Tough Dogs. Quick questions: why 53mm in front and 45mm rear?

The ToughDog's are amazing. They are available thru @reevesci (Jason at Trail Tailor). I went 53mm front because I run heavy (bullbar, winch and oversized battery). Also, since I run extended corrugated gravel, I wanted the larger volume so that the shock stays "cooler". The 41mm are great, but I figured that if I was going to replace my AHC, then I'd go "all-in" and get the best I could get so I wouldn't question my decision down the road. The 45mm adjustables are fantastic. I typically run 7-8 when I daily drive and 4-5 off-road. I do have a dual swing out rear bumper, sliders, roof rack and KISS drawer system which means I am pretty heavy. I run the dual-rate coils which I whole-heartedly recommend.

If you are not building up your rig and intend to run predominantly stock, then the 41mms could work very well for you. For me, the relatively low cost difference and the desire to "buy once-cry once" led me to the 53/45 setup.

BTW, as much as I loved my AHC, this setup is absolutely the bees knees. Just got back from HIH8 and, after running the same trails I ran last year with the AHC, I can say my rig was more controlled and comfortable off-road than ever before.

The ToughDog's are amazing. They are available thru @reevesci (Jason at Trail Tailor). I went 53mm front because I run heavy (bullbar, winch and oversized battery). Also, since I run extended corrugated gravel, I wanted the larger volume so that the shock stays "cooler". The 41mm are great, but I figured that if I was going to replace my AHC, then I'd go "all-in" and get the best I could get so I wouldn't question my decision down the road. The 45mm adjustables are fantastic. I typically run 7-8 when I daily drive and 4-5 off-road. I do have a dual swing out rear bumper, sliders, roof rack and KISS drawer system which means I am pretty heavy. I run the dual-rate coils which I whole-heartedly recommend.

If you are not building up your rig and intend to run predominantly stock, then the 41mms could work very well for you. For me, the relatively low cost difference and the desire to "buy once-cry once" led me to the 53/45 setup.

BTW, as much as I loved my AHC, this setup is absolutely the bees knees. Just got back from HIH8 and, after running the same trails I ran last year with the AHC, I can say my rig was more controlled and comfortable off-road than ever before.
Well said I agree 100%, my truck feels more controlled and smoother than ever before. I also run a bumper & winch up front so I felt like the 53’s would be a huge improvement over the stock ones. I was experiencing a lot of nose diving while braking and this corrected that issue substantially. If I’m not mistaken they are one of (if not the) largest diameter shock available for the 100 series. I don’t have a rear bumper but I do have a lot of recovery gear in the back and I spend a lot of time towing either my boat or camper. The adjustable shocks have so much versatility they excel in every situation you could possibly get yourself into!

You guys running the tough dog shocks, have any of you ran OME in the past for a comparison ? I was told by a friend to avoid the OME due to a harsh ride. I should have listened these shocks are really stiff , and I’m looking to possibly change to a softer shock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom