What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Washed it after coming home from last weekend's SUPER mild wheeling trip. Just a forest service road, Saturday cruise along. Nothing to write home about, but I managed to somehow cut a decent gash right on the sidewall/corner of tread of a tire that probably had 15k left in it. D'oh. Either that or it's been there for weeks and I had no idea- not sure. :oops:

So- pulled the trigger on some Kenda Klever KR601s to fit the 200-series 18s that have been eating space in my garage for a while. Tires should be here tomorrow, I'll get em mounted up tomorrow or Friday, mounted soon after, and I've lined up a home for a couple of my used 16" K02s through another dude in our local club. Plus, bonus, I should then be able to fit the "extra" old 16"er with decent tread up in the factory spare location, and so I'll be set there for a while with a spare that's just about same size as my main 4. Probably. Until I break something else.

Got my bumper and winch on, too, plus this cool action shot of Leisure Suit Larry the LX470 doing his deal. No LX570 plastics were harmed in the course of the day, either:
View attachment 3083184

View attachment 3083185
Wicked Gash!

Wicked Gash!
Right? It's still holding air, but it's not getting driven on until I can slowly limp it down to the tire shop about one mile from my driveway. Or I might just throw the tires and wheels in my pickup and do that instead. Probably smarter, TBH. :[ No idea how I managed the cut- it really does scare me a bit that it's been there a while and I didn't notice. She looks primed to blow.

I can't really be mad, though. These tires are at least 4-5yrs old (PO installed, I've had truck two years plus), maybe more than that and I've been annoyed with em for a little bit anyway- it'll be nice to have something fresh, new, and properly balanced on the truck.

Right? It's still holding air, but it's not getting driven on until I can slowly limp it down to the tire shop about one mile from my driveway. Or I might just throw the tires and wheels in my pickup and do that instead. Probably smarter, TBH. :[ No idea how I managed the cut- it really does scare me a bit that it's been there a while and I didn't notice. She looks primed to blow.

I can't really be mad, though. These tires are at least 4-5yrs old (PO installed, I've had truck two years plus), maybe more than that and I've been annoyed with em for a little bit anyway- it'll be nice to have something fresh, new, and properly balanced on the truck.
If You're going back w/same size (noted what You're going TO, never saw what You Have? size wise?), I'd strongly recommend moving the best of the remaining 3 to Your spare? We have 2 spares, after a piece of big rig brake drum took out both fancy pricey tires on pass. side back in the early '90's interstate in an '88 Dodge RamCharger, I've always run w/at least 1 top shelf spare & 2-3 more at home out of the sun, b/c when You have a catastrophe, it'll be when the 'place a mile down the road' won't be open for a couple Days! As they say "Murphy was an Optimist". 👍
;)

If You're going back w/same size (noted what You're going TO, never saw what You Have? size wise?), I'd strongly recommend moving the best of the remaining 3 to Your spare? We have 2 spares, after a piece of big rig brake drum took out both fancy pricey tires on pass. side back in the early '90's interstate in an '88 Dodge RamCharger, I've always run w/at least 1 top shelf spare & 2-3 more at home out of the sun, b/c when You have a catastrophe, it'll be when the 'place a mile down the road' won't be open for a couple Days! As they say "Murphy was an Optimist". 👍
;)
Yup. I would have gone a mite bigger on the 18s (picked 275/70/18) but that's almost exactly the same size as the 16s (285/75/16) and so the plan is to jam the best of the remaining ones back under the truck, replacing whatever probably-24yo Lexus OEM street tire is under there now, and I have a buddy who wants the other two that are OK but not awesome, so he can have those to eke out a few more miles.

I might run by the local takeoff tire dealer and find another cheapie to throw atop the truck (on the old spare wheel) for when I really think I might need two spares.

I really hate that ol Murphy guy sometimes, but he crops up, don't he?

Yup. I would have gone a mite bigger on the 18s (picked 275/70/18) but that's almost exactly the same size as the 16s (285/75/16) and so the plan is to jam the best of the remaining ones back under the truck, replacing whatever probably-24yo Lexus OEM street tire is under there now, and I have a buddy who wants the other two that are OK but not awesome, so he can have those to eke out a few more miles.

I might run by the local takeoff tire dealer and find another cheapie to throw atop the truck (on the old spare wheel) for when I really think I might need two spares.

I really hate that ol Murphy guy sometimes, but he crops up, don't he?
"What ever Can Go Wrong, Will, at the Worst Possible time, to the Worse Possible Extent, to the Most Expensive Item in the Worst Possible Location."-Murphy
As Stated, he was an optimist.
People make fun of our fire extinguishers.... until Under THEIR Hood's smoking.....(in the middle of 'nowhere'; nuff said).
You should keep that #2 spare off the roof rack until actually heading out on those trips!
Sun just kills the helloutta rubber!

Look on the bright side...they aren't stuffed right next to the Exhaust Manifold when heat causes them to fail, or have to be coded to the VIN to function properly? (read=You could own a similar vintage PITA BMW? & yes, w/the ABS/DSC down, 'blaring music' wouldn't save you at high speed, applying brakes can be catastrophically traumatizing!) Front end shakes like it's going to split apart. (Didn't happen to me, but worse, In a friend's I was riding in....exited that thing & said, nxt time we're taking My Car!, even rebuilt & coded, the part is 2x-3x the cost of Your link above) Thanks for the lesson, having a spare on hand before it craps out is my motto. ;)
Yes it could always be worse! I owned a 2009 Audi A4 Quattro for a few years and I’ll never be buying a VAG vehicle again. They are the embodiment of their founder, Hitler. Knowingly putting into production faulty components, countless recalls and class action suits (and this is not even counting dieselgate) their 2.0T had an oil consumption issue they knew about and used em anyway.

The brake fail is definitely scary, my dad was driving the rig when the first one failed and he wasn’t happy about it.

Good call on the spare, I’d even go as far as recommending a preventative replacement. Yes waaaay cheaper than the dealer, hopefully it holds up.

Yes it could always be worse! I owned a 2009 Audi A4 Quattro for a few years and I’ll never be buying a VAG vehicle again. They are the embodiment of their founder, Hitler. Knowingly putting into production faulty components, countless recalls and class action suits (and this is not even counting dieselgate) their 2.0T had an oil consumption issue they knew about and used em anyway.

The brake fail is definitely scary, my dad was driving the rig when the first one failed and he wasn’t happy about it.

Good call on the spare, I’d even go as far as recommending a preventative replacement. Yes waaaay cheaper than the dealer, hopefully it holds up.
I had an '80's Quatro in the NC Mtns (along w/a Subaru Brat) & an Ugly as sin, Kaiser Willy's Jeep J5000 (Duelly, fmr fire/brush truck) 4/6wd, snow plow/wrecker & the Quatro was a joy to drive until another mechanic told me their running gear was an absolute nightmare when it finally went. I dumped it a month later, & never looked back it was running flawlessly when sold (gas, Diesel was not even a possibility in the cold up where we were). They def. went down hill (a Long Way) after the orig. Quatro's. Crazy was VW Buying all of the German makers up aside MB & BMW. Thought it would've been the other way around 4 sure. I always believed "Turbos" on tiny engines (2.oL & <) was/is a recipe for disaster, because You're asking too much out of too little & drastically shorten life expectancy. Time bears it out as well.

I had an '80's Quatro in the NC Mtns (along w/a Subaru Brat) & an Ugly as sin, Kaiser Willy's Jeep J5000 (Duelly, fmr fire/brush truck) 4/6wd, snow plow/wrecker & the Quatro was a joy to drive until another mechanic told me their running gear was an absolute nightmare when it finally went. I dumped it a month later, & never looked back it was running flawlessly when sold (gas, Diesel was not even a possibility in the cold up where we were). They def. went down hill (a Long Way) after the orig. Quatro's. Crazy was VW Buying all of the German makers up aside MB & BMW. Thought it would've been the other way around 4 sure. I always believed "Turbos" on tiny engines (2.oL & <) was/is a recipe for disaster, because You're asking too much out of too little & drastically shorten life expectancy. Time bears it out as well.
Oh yeah I loved driving it and even had stage 2 software taking it from 211hp to 300hp. That was after Audi replaced the engine under the class action suit tho lol that car was incredibly fun until it wasn’t.

Threw on a Victory 4x4 roof rack along with a lightbar. Chose it over the Prinsu because it had “grab handles” and sat further forward. However, I did use the Prinsu install video (didn’t like Victory 4x4’s video instructions). 😄
B114A98C-9D64-49EB-B629-2474201CB9EB.jpeg

Threw on a Victory 4x4 roof rack along with a lightbar. Chose it over the Prinsu because it had “grab handles” and sat further forward. However, I did use the Prinsu install video (didn’t like Victory 4x4’s video instructions). 😄
View attachment 3083458
NICE! those aren't just "Grab Handles", they're Tie Down Points & they're EveryWhere! :clap:

SPC’s going in; front end alignment tomorrow. Looking forward to a bit more caster and am curious to see how the SPC and triple 5 ball joints fare.
779F86CD-8635-4D96-B304-785DEE9AF463.jpeg

SPC’s going in; front end alignment tomorrow. Looking forward to a bit more caster and am curious to see how the SPC and triple 5 ball joints fare.
View attachment 3083612
Overall I have no complaints with my SPCs after two years of hard off-roading. I did position the ballpoint shaft midway in the sliding quadrant and used wide blade screwdrivers to measure and hold the joint into place during torque up. If you have trouble getting the spacer washers to stick to the bushing shaft during installation, hit me up. No grease was provided and the grease that I have for wheel bearings and u-joints was not sticky enough to hold the washers in place during installation.

swap my land shark outfitters drawers with a TruckVault Orvis edition drawer that i pick up from @prharper , have to remount my fridge slide and turn-buckle it in place but so far im extremely happy with it.

orvis 1.jpg

orvis 2.jpg

View attachment 3083458
I've got same rack. It was easy to install in the end but MAN was I confused at first. I reversed some of the mounting brackets somehow. Dramatic recreation:
"Are you kidding me??!?!?! This MF DOES NOT FIT (stream of cursing)..."
"Oh. No. It fits, I'm just a moron."

View attachment 3083612

Put a little dab of grease on those washers as you assemble so they stay in place during assembly. It's super annoying to be that close to the finish line and have to give up and call SPC for more washers. They can fall into the little cavities of the frame. I was able to fish all but one out and had to call SPC (and wait the few days to finish the job).

Edit: @OwnerCS beat me to it :cool:

Built a platform behind the middle row seats. 2x8s and 3/4” plywood was pretty much the perfect height to match the middle row seats when they’re folded down. Now I just need to source a QUALITY sleeping mat/memory foam mattress.

Also found some bug nets for the middle doors. I bought them and they seem to fit well, but haven’t tested it camping.here’s the link: Amazon product ASIN B07HYXZYMN
And lastly, I finally replaced my oxygen sensor (row 1, bank 1). It not only cleared my P0420/P0430 codes, but also the ABS, VSC, and AHC codes… wasn’t expecting that, but glad to have it. After an 8-mile test drive, I do have codes pending P0420 and P0430. Not sure what to make of that. Didn’t want to fight my janky tech stream setup so I used my regular scanner for my VW TDI. These readings are all after the O2 sensed replacement.

AC18A14B-E9F4-4434-B5FC-E559BB29DFF1.jpeg

86DE6394-92DF-4A47-B0B6-783207C3E349.jpeg

5A4B5D44-6EEC-4CCC-81F6-B63711D54255.jpeg

82C3B9DA-8506-4EDE-A4BE-F562D422D20B.jpeg

996CC0E0-972D-4CF9-BCC8-3116A45EB6E8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom