What have you been doing with your Toyota? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the 4runner out of cryosleep. Got out on the street and it had realized I had about 10% braking power. Master cylinder was a empty and nothing leaking visibly yet. Likely a bad master cylinder seal on the booster side. Will be diagnosing tomorrow but it was good to get it out and drive it!
IMG_20200111_145539.jpg

Santa brought me a new radiator for my 40. Is doing a flush prior to putting the new radiator in a good idea or bad idea?

Santa brought me a new radiator for my 40. Is doing a flush prior to putting the new radiator in a good idea or bad idea?

You could do a flush... I would pull the old radiator then pop a hose into the upper inlet and let it run for a while.

When you put the new radiator back in make sure to fill with distilled water as it'll help cut down the corrosion.

Fwiw, I don't pay the big bucks for the Toyota Red on a 40... I use the green stuff and my 40 cools down great.

I was thinking I'd do a chemical flush with the old radiator on mostly to clean out the heaters and so anything that comes loose doesn't end up in the new radiator. I've been using the 50/50 premix stuff for convenience. Sure it costs more, but it's just so much easier. For clarification, my 40 had a 5.7 heart transplant so the coolant color conversation is orange vs green rather than red vs green.

Sounds like the pre-flush is an okay idea. There's enough pin holes that it doesn't make much pressure, but it'll get better soon.

Finally got caught up on the 100...
  • new valve cover gaskets
  • Replaced a few cracked vacuum lines
  • New PCV valve and grommet
  • New fuel filter
  • New spark plug gaskets
  • New fuel pump
OEM Fuel
3B858E29-A00A-43C6-A0B8-FAE7B75DC522.jpeg

Spark plug gaskets
2F785B5D-0C30-44F5-B8E9-06623CCCD49D.jpeg

PCV grommet
B7B27E03-42E5-468A-A163-250C8D95ABBB.jpeg

New valve gaskets
2B32E457-9769-407C-B6AA-C85D8261D1BD.jpeg

Fuel pump
47838D24-976D-48C3-8D29-198B392625CF.jpeg

Just designing hub cap clips to work with 16 and possibly 17" steel wheels....

clips.jpg

clips1.jpg

clips2.jpg

That’s rad. I always thought some 17” Steelies from a FJC with hub caps would be cool. Looking forward to how they turn out.

That’s rad. I always thought some 17” Steelies from a FJC with hub caps would be cool. Looking forward to how they turn out.
They work well! Sorry, the bent up hubcap is the only one I have...HA!

clips6.jpg

clips3.jpg

clips5.jpg

Last winter I redid all the brakes on my 80. Terrain tamers rotors up front, napa rotors in the rear, terrain tamer pads annnd calipers on all 4 corners. Had great braking for awhile and slowly faded. Bled, had great braking again, no leaks. After bleeding the system about 4-5 times this past year and having great braking go bad every time I decided my abs brain was letting in air so today it went away. it's a known problem on 80s and it had been unplugged for the last 2 years because one of my sensors died so it got deleted today, and the results are incredible. I thought my brakes were great before and now they are fantastic! Also replaced the rear rotors with some DBA's I scored ultra cheap from a local and new pads all around
IMG_20200125_134523.jpg

IMG_20200125_162824.jpg

IMG_20200125_165114.jpg

Now what to put in that opening?

So Johnny, you deleted the whole ABS system?
Yepp, brain is gone, lines are gone, relays gone, only thing left is the abs light on the dash. Like I said my abs has been non functioning the last two years because of a sensor gone bad and in the ice or snow it doesn't bother me at all I just drive appropriately. Driving my wife's 80 it surprises me when the abs kicks on. I also bypassed the lspv because it's necessary when deleting the abs. Still deciding if I want to/need to add a proportioning valve. Last night on dry pavement it stopped straight as an arrow. Went to hyalite today and the back would lock up slightly before the fronts. If I decide to add one it will plug in just beside the master cylinder.

Yepp, brain is gone, lines are gone, relays gone, only thing left is the abs light on the dash. Like I said my abs has been non functioning the last two years because of a sensor gone bad and in the ice or snow it doesn't bother me at all I just drive appropriately. Driving my wife's 80 it surprises me when the abs kicks on. I also bypassed the lspv because it's necessary when deleting the abs. Still deciding if I want to/need to add a proportioning valve. Last night on dry pavement it stopped straight as an arrow. Went to hyalite today and the back would lock up slightly before the fronts. If I decide to add one it will plug in just beside the master cylinder.

A lot of guys with 40s like the Wilwood proportioning valves when adding disks to the rears.

This weekend my 40 got a new aluminum radiator from Champion. I got to wander around in the back of O'Reilly's to find upper and lower hoses that I could make work with my 350. I found that the PO had put a low temperature thermostat in. I replaced it with an OE temperature unit. I was able to replace the cable and cable housing on the stock choke cable with parts from a universal choke cable kit with some very mild fabrication. I wish I'd done that in the first week I owned the truck. I also replaced a couple dash lights while I was working in the interior. Finally, I put in a new alternator and replaced (another) battery with a dead cell under warranty. Now I just have to wait for warm weather to see if my cooling issues have been solved. How much longer till spring?

This weekend my 40 got a new aluminum radiator from Champion. I got to wander around in the back of O'Reilly's to find upper and lower hoses that I could make work with my 350. I found that the PO had put a low temperature thermostat in. I replaced it with an OE temperature unit. I was able to replace the cable and cable housing on the stock choke cable with parts from a universal choke cable kit with some very mild fabrication. I wish I'd done that in the first week I owned the truck. I also replaced a couple dash lights while I was working in the interior. Finally, I put in a new alternator and replaced (another) battery with a dead cell under warranty. Now I just have to wait for warm weather to see if my cooling issues have been solved. How much longer till spring?
pigmony, do you have headers on the sbc?

@elkun1 Nope. Stock manifolds. I've had it lift the front tires off the ground on dry pavement. I don't need any more performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom