What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove from Phoenix to San Diego for my 39th birthday. We spent the day at the beach, ate a ton of seafood, took the pups to the dog beach, and stopped at the Imperial Dunes (Glamis) on the way home. Almost 710mi exactly round trip. The truck didn’t skip a beat and I ran the A/C pretty much non stop for the dogs. Pulled it in the garage and noticed the fuel pump is leaking, but it got us there and home safely and for that, I’m happy. Great weekend in the cruiser. Also, it rolled 128k on the way home. 😎

View attachment 2193547

View attachment 2193549

View attachment 2193700
Beautiful truck.

Drove from Phoenix to San Diego for my 39th birthday. We spent the day at the beach, ate a ton of seafood, took the pups to the dog beach, and stopped at the Imperial Dunes (Glamis) on the way home. Almost 710mi exactly round trip. The truck didn’t skip a beat and I ran the A/C pretty much non stop for the dogs. Pulled it in the garage and noticed the fuel pump is leaking, but it got us there and home safely and for that, I’m happy. Great weekend in the cruiser. Also, it rolled 128k on the way home. 😎

View attachment 2193547

View attachment 2193549

View attachment 2193700
and could you tell me what tires and lift are on your 60? thanks.

My low mileage FJ62 failed emissions here in AZ for the second time today. It has passed no problem on two previous occasions, I've had the truck for about 5 1/2 years. I tried the denatured alcohol in a quarter tank of gas trick which reduced two of the numbers way below pass levels but the nitrogen level (the one that failed the first time) actually WENT UP!!! For the nitro levels, passing is 4.50 or better (meaning less) and mine first time out was 4.52 and yes they still failed me. This time the nitrogen number was 4.92 so it actually got worse. If I can't figure it out I guess I'll have to splurge for new cats. Any insights from the gurus?

Put some new meat... Went from 35x12.50x15's to 37x12.50x17.. Steelies with.... ehem... cough... spacers...
I immediately ran them in some mud to make sure the rubbing is ok. A small bump stop extension in the front may be needed for the heaviest stuff but otherwise it rides nice. Anyone wanna buy a 6 pack of 35"x12.50x15's with steel wheels?

Untitled-1.png

Put some new meat... Went from 35x12.50x15's to 37x12.50x17.. Steelies with.... ehem... cough... spacers...
I immediately ran them in some mud to make sure the rubbing is ok. A small bump stop extension in the front may be needed for the heaviest stuff but otherwise it rides nice. Anyone wanna buy a 6 pack of 35"x12.50x15's with steel wheels?

View attachment 2195046

Looks good, I have over 2 years on spacers....people just don't know how to install them correctly.

My low mileage FJ62 failed emissions here in AZ for the second time today. It has passed no problem on two previous occasions, I've had the truck for about 5 1/2 years. I tried the denatured alcohol in a quarter tank of gas trick which reduced two of the numbers way below pass levels but the nitrogen level (the one that failed the first time) actually WENT UP!!! For the nitro levels, passing is 4.50 or better (meaning less) and mine first time out was 4.52 and yes they still failed me. This time the nitrogen number was 4.92 so it actually got worse. If I can't figure it out I guess I'll have to splurge for new cats. Any insights from the gurus?

It’s my understanding that adding alcohol will cause NOX to increase, so that makes sense. You can test your cat for functionality pretty easily using an infrared thermometer to see if that’s the culprit. Exhaust gasses should be hotter leaving the cat than they were entering the cat once the vehicle is warmed up to operating temp.

Last edited:
Brake job. Kept running into hiccups so the damn thing was on jackstands while I commute to work in the 4Runner the last couple days. New rotors, calipers and pads on all four corners. Repack bearings, clean and regrease lockout hubs and retorque & grease all points on the chassis, knuckles and suspension. Good to go now.

IMG_20200128_170642.jpg

IMG_20200128_200609.jpg

Last edited:
Probably the worst job ever!!! C channel replacement.

I bought Trail Tailors kit. I thought it was a little high priced at first, but DAMN! If I would have had to source all the hardware, bits, and make the actual parts, it would have added a full day to the job. It was a bad enough job, but once they were out, the replacements were a breeze. Kit is well worth it

A4744970-BEE5-4712-8590-37E48F98128B.jpeg

Also fixed my wipers, which were blowing a fuse. Without this forum, I would have probably tore the truck apart finding the short.

It was the reverse light wire harness by the transfer case. It had fallen down, and the exhaust melted it.

311D412F-C12E-4CC3-B2C8-585F5857957A.jpeg

445F9835-2103-48D6-B9F3-89677E84C9BC.jpeg

shovel.jpg
welt.jpg

Used some Quick FIsts to mount my shovel, replaced my front door inner welts, as you can see they were needed. Did the once a year wax and drove it around all weekend.

Got tired of everyone in the parking lot turning their head when I was backing/turning around...

It was a nice surprise to see that the new pump comes with a new reservoir. It wasn't clear on the site I ordered from.

pump 1.jpg

Out with the old. I had to run to lowes to grab a strap wrench and it was still a beast to break free. Cursing and a busted knuckle and it was free.
pump 2.jpg

In with the new. Quick replacement once the pulley was off. I had my teenage daughter help turn the wheels while we flushed and filled.

pump 3.jpg

I have only had the truck a year and didn't realize that in addition to being a lot quieter that steering is super smooth now. Good fix for sure.

A little R&R just outside of Rico..

20200203_104231.jpg

Beautiful Chev, came close to buying a 3100 a few times. Did you swap hubs on yours? I thought the 3600 was 8 lug?

It’s on an S10 chassis. 5.3 LS motor with 4L60, PS, PB, Cruise all from the S10. All the bumpers, grill, chrome, trim and body metal is original to the truck. I just repaired (a lot of) rust on cowl, firewalls, floor, fenders lower cab and cab corners and blended it into the original patina

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom