What did you do to your pig today? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put my knuckle back on so we could measure where the bump stops will need to be, and what angle there set at.

Also brought some knuckle pieces home so i can do some cleaning and painting.

Drove the Black Pig for hours, on twisty turny mountain roads just to pick up a Toyota 4-speed transmission and attached split-case transfer case. 'Cause the price (free) was right and 'cause Ige said so...
On the drive back home, along those same twisty turny roads, but downhill, the tranny&T/C rolled around a bit in the back, dumping their loads of 90 wt...
Tossed a bag of cat litter in the back after we got home.

tranny 001.jpg

tranny 002.jpg

Drug a rear 60 full floater 1300 miles home from Moab for Spot. Oh, and wheeled a bit with the 62 while I was down there too. ;)

What I did in my pig today was 46 MPH.

I adjusted the toe, tightened all the heims and the connections on the ram. put it in 2wd and unlocked a hub. hasn't really seen pavement in 5-6 years. It was death wobbling really bad about 25 mph in the black hills, but that was after a hard summer of wheeling.

46 wasn't bad. I was going for 50 but ran out of road. It was in a 35 mph zone any way.

unbalanced 38 TSL bias at 20 psi, bent driveshaft in the rear and a square ds in the front. softly sprung with a ram assist steering all make for a trailer queen, but I want to be able to get around Moab without hauling the trailer everywhere.

Driving home from work, waiting patiently in line to make a left turn, arrow went green, first guy in line got out the driver door and made the universal sign for "Go around"...
TWRECKS jumped out in traffic and got around him, Pighead shut off the engine and offered him a strap. Newish Suburban or similar had run out of gas, he had a hook to put the strap on, so I tugged it (heavy) to a legal parking spot on the side street. Our good deed for the day done, we let him hoof it to the nearest gas station.

Edit: We wondered, on the way home, how long it takes to start an EFI that's run dry...

Last edited:
Amazing how helpful a fresh fuel filter can be....

posted up a skin pic....nothing quite as sexy as naked bacon.

IMG_20130510_212305_355.jpg

Miss Nuclearlemon,

Is that a '69 grill, or did you cut out for the marker lights. I would like to mount some lights there, but only have the newer type grill. Would it be acceptable to cut out for the lights, or hunt up an older grill.

Thanks, Ron

Last edited:
Edit: We wondered, on the way home, how long it takes to start an EFI that's run dry...

No time at all. Much quicker than a mechanical pump carb. Cycle the pump with the key once or twice before cranking and it'll fire right up.

The pump doesn't much like being run dry very often though.

Tucker, the 80 series seem to fit nice? I have a 60 series front and rear seats for my PIG.

Thanks Bob.

The are the early (manual) FJ80 seats, pretty similar to the 60/62 seats ;). The were almost a bolt in swap, I reused the brackets from the van buckets I had (only had to re-drill the rear holes in the rails). I've had these for a while but the upholstery had seen better days, scored some Great Covers out of the classifieds las week for $75 and here they are :)

Tucker

Miss Nuclearlemon,

Is that a '69 grill, or did you cut out for the marker lights. I would like to mount some lights there, but only have the newer type grill. Would it be acceptable to cut out for the lights, or hunt up an older grill.

Thanks, Ron

it's a 74 grill cut for 69 lights

Today, someone was complaining about TWRECKS dropping oil from the oilpressure gauge tee where it comes out of the oilfilter mount...so I took it apart, turned it sideways, so I could put the stock sender back on too. Sealed up the threads as best I could with the FIPG. Put another (bigger) oilfilter on while I was there. (Had been running the smaller oilfilter when I was running the vacuum advance dizzy, can run the bigger filter now with the big-cap dizzy)

5112013 001.jpg

5112013 002.jpg

Today, someone was complaining about TWRECKS dropping oil from the oilpressure gauge tee where it comes out of the oilfilter mount...so I took it apart, turned it sideways, so I could put the stock sender back on too. Sealed up the threads as best I could with the FIPG. Put another (bigger) oilfilter on while I was there. (Had been running the smaller oilfilter when I was running the vacuum advance dizzy, can run the bigger filter now with the big-cap dizzy)

you still need to conquer that rear pinion seal before the exxon valdez is no longer confined to parking on cardboard ;)

Someone has been complaining about an allegedly leaking rear pinion seal, and making derogatory remarks comparing TWRECKS to the Exxon Valdez...which is really not a fair comparison. The Exxon Valdez had a much tighter turning radius and accelerated faster. So I swapped out the pinion seal.

work 002.jpg

work 005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom