Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New Tstat and fan clutch install in hopes to easily correct the 100 from running hot. Noticed on our road trip, ran 208 at night through cool evening in Wyoming, highest of 219 climbing in the Rockies. Glad we made it home. Reached 224 after my changes idling in the driveway. Not good. These have such great cooling systems so definitely something more major wrong. No such luck for it to be that easy for me though. Off to CBT to troubleshoot. Probably radiator. :bang:

New Tstat and fan clutch install in hopes to easily correct the 100 from running hot. Noticed on our road trip, ran 208 at night through cool evening in Wyoming, highest of 219 climbing in the Rockies. Glad we made it home. Reached 224 after my changes idling in the driveway. Not good. These have such great cooling systems so definitely something more major wrong. No such luck for it to be that easy for me though. Off to CBT to troubleshoot. Probably radiator. :bang:
Not sure of the fitment on your rig but an aluminum radiator (if your not there already) is a great way to go.

Not sure of the fitment on your rig but an aluminum radiator (if your not there already) is a great way to go.

In the last eighteen years I've owned five Toyota V8s, four the 4.7 and one of those in a 100 series. They have all cooled great in the desert heat. I travel regularly to the north part of the state and Black Canyon City to Sunset Point is never a problem during the afternoon in summer. Aluminum radiator might help if it's over heating but their is a issue that should be addressed first. 100 series do not generally have the cooling problems of the 1ZF.

Use Infrared thermometer to check top and bottom radiator temperatures. If the difference in temperature is small, then the radiator is not doing a good cooling job.

Panhard brackets are in stock save $20 with cash pick up
Complete with all needed metric 10.9 hardware, powder coated black

100 and 200 series coming soon:)

SLE5blnKf75S2Q1yJx-QJRWL43StDPmL4QWVnNuossOXJp2XQoHa487Eruk2w1vn3psHVOihT0jtX97CDcuh0VKpHD-tbRBsS5U0ZC_-tsensG2eA9ycZ94ziWM5Rssw1FereVyBic73J2e_axVzmaPLjwGKuK793MHOWJm-Nfq07IdlUwh4sQ197cIjqTw_NLyRANgKwN1WNYPhbRO7NKLxrTVxTq-bfhukPUUoKopxxKE1X3ozHW8o0OUxze3OjKZRdGCthrYhxUJdC2C4lZgyq6OkzHmJuIdt1dgQ7DgZHSqPDJN7JxeJMgtk61JCXaF_MBkgTSQmB3t5yfRAZAk__ENO1q5ZjC8z2MyJsJwXj5dBtmpn8GfOdEiVBjs-G0qn3py5ieoewg3-VxS86Da8VJ0-f4B-GUrqDUFAG6hN4wOYNNh-Yb913WYClpxCrSP6u-M1ZW8GBuRaeJ_NeT7N31EXXGvb1S8na5zXo8IK0_yQjxTikO7s-L5Oq0URMinrtEYLwpNJPOMN0AjdcRu_kIAEDECRJwVXDYS-4DFgnkU1l1DkrbzDfnQ26X1xARqyiKeYyckGCY-tu0u4s2Q8-te6XzE0iDZV3N3y=w533-h947-no
got mine! just need to install it ~

1. Installed and 5 days of driving later, I can say that my 80's rear end has settled down nicely , I don't miss the wiggle. Under hard compression it might contact my redirected exhaust pipe..or may not. Ill find out soon enough.

mvimg_20180802_180552-jpg.1760650
Ordered from Land Cruiser Products - LCP

Thanks again for the fast delivery Phil!

Last edited:
From an update on this thread:
Murf's Methanol injection install

JM, a Toyota master tech and part time mad scientist has added several upgrades.
1) Added the ability to independently switch off boost from the S/C and also the Methanol injection. This has really allowed to use the boost yet save burning through the method fluid as I would previously. Had to creatively move the green activation indicator light and the red low fluid light to keep it all together.
IMG_20180720_184159.jpg
MVIMG_20180720_184317.jpg

2) Modified the windshield washer . I had the 80's much larger w/w bottle directly feeding the smaller 1 gallon Snow provided method fluid bottle. As anyone running meth knows, it gets used quickly if not careful. Pushing the front washer spray button would refill the snow bottle but I lost the ability to spray the windshield which wasnt needed frequently but a PITA when it was. :rolleyes: Now that function has been restored and the rear glass spray function on the stalk is what fills the bottle. I use that about once a year, so no big deal for me. Amazing how the little things are appreciated!

3) long story but JM found out that the 80 has a two speed fuel pump. After the computer sees 3-4 seconds of hard acceleration it increases fuel pressure to the engine. I'm guessing the engineers didn't want it to kick in unless really needing it for more prolonged needs like towing or accel up an incline. No reason to switch it to full pressure all the time, you can see on the scantool that the ecm will slowly compensate and the advantage is lost.
So...some manipulation of the resistor and you can make it activate the 2nd speed almost instantly and drop back down as soon as I decelerate. Not long or consistent enough to give the ecm enough time to remap and compensate. Seems to give a little more kick off the line when getting on it.

Its the details that make the difference for even more driving enjoyment in my 80 :)

Bought our son a Toy(ota)!!

2002 Limited 2wd. 191.5k miles. Lots of little things to get it where I want it for him. Shocks/struts are shot. I just ordered some Gabriel replacements. Keep it simple at first, may throw in some 1.5" spacers but the shocks will lift it back up to normal at least. Have to fix speed module, charge a/c, tint the windows more, and trace an oil leak. But other than that super clean. Original Az car from Tempe Toyota, owned by a now retired school teacher. The guy I bought it from had it 6 months, didn't do a thing to it. How he drove it bouncing down the road I'll never know. Was in an accident in 2006, hatch and driver rear quarter has no clear coat so maybe she couldn't fix all the way?? Best discovery is all of her service history in the glove box, AND the original window sticker! Quite a find.

20180806_185806.jpg

20180806_193227.jpg

20180806_190326.jpg

20180806_190249.jpg

20180806_190257.jpg

Son's first service...and best and first mod!

20180806_142739.jpg

55148.jpg

20180806_193051.jpg

The mother load...

20180804_190954.jpg

Original key "chain"! Crazy.

20180804_201555.jpg

Nice wheels!

Thank you. Yes they are nice. The PO took them off his '18 4Runner. Literally brand new tires which helps. wasn't sure about them at first but loving them now.

20180811_151011.jpg
Quick trip with Pete

20180811_091526.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom