Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

280590F7-999E-4C8E-BD7C-E89E263E5DBA.jpeg

Before

29E7A478-8612-4320-8F46-196BF9D604C4.jpeg

After

Thanks to @LandCruiserPhil for letting @cruddzand I join the cool kid club. Alvis and I sweated away yesterday before the storm installing our Delta panhard bar brackets. No seat time to share the change but the axle left to right seems to be more centered and the bar is more level. Ready to try out the changes on the August ROTM.

Storm added some extra work today, lost our big 40+ foot tree in the back yard and about 2 sections of block fence. Time for some landscape changes
F54828E4-D480-46BE-A74D-7EB82E9BEAF3.jpeg

View attachment 1766715

Before

View attachment 1766717
After

Thanks to @LandCruiserPhil for letting @cruddzand I join the cool kid club. Alvis and I sweated away yesterday before the storm installing our Delta panhard bar brackets. No seat time to share the change but the axle left to right seems to be more centered and the bar is more level. Ready to try out the changes on the August ROTM.

Storm added some extra work today, lost our big 40+ foot tree in the back yard and about 2 sections of block fence. Time for some landscape changes
View attachment 1766716

:eek:

bummer Steve!

Ouch, that sucks, Steve.

I felt like we got every bit of those 60mph wind gusts, but luckily only lost a small mesquite. A couple others came close to toppling over. We were worried about our big Eucalyptus going over.

Because of carburetor issues on my 45 I left it in the back yard. In town last week and put it in the garage mainly because of all the bad storms and neighbor's huge pine that if it goes would likely land in the RV parking area. I rest easier knowing if that tree comes down the truck is safe. Getting to close to restoring it to something happen to it now.

Also did a little more research on installing a five speed in one my FJ40s. Five speed bash plate bolts right in. Minor work to install the transmission crossmember. Biggest challenge with be the inspection cover. But really not that hard especially if the transmission is out to modify the transmission hump.

I finally installed my backup camera that's been on my bench for 10 months. The wires are neatly plumbed along original routes and through grommets where possible. I also upgraded my reverse lights to a newer LED setup. I found the PO had upgraded to LED backup lights as well, but one of the lenses had fallen off.

Parts list:
Head Unit: Pioneer AVIC-6000NEX
Backup Cam: Auto-Vox Cam 6
Reverse Lights: Sealight 1156/1141 LEDs

This is my second time using this backup camera. I installed one in my 06 Tundra as well. I like that it is $20 and mounts behind the license plate, which keeps it legal in AZ since it doesn't cover the word "Arizona" on the plate. The resolution during the day is pretty good. The resolution at night is grainy and poor. However, the new reverse lights made it acceptable. The worst part of the install is plumbing wires. It took me about 6 hours start to finish. I feel less worry in busy parking lots now as I'm always afraid of little ones darting behind me. The camera was nice to have while backing up to my tent last weekend.

IMG_1167.JPG

Shampood and vacuumed (thrice) all of the interior fabric - carpet, header, doors and seats, and cleaned the worlds usually hidden by the side panels and center console. A very dusty time capsule.
IMG_7181.JPG
IMG_7185.JPG
IMG_7192.JPG
IMG_7193.JPG
IMG_7195.JPG
Amazing how nicely the Toyota fabric cleans up and holds up after 26 years.

@medtro - "Shampoo" was shorthand and misleading. Sorry. Here's what we did...

In a one gallon jug, combine:

- 3 tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol (91%)
- 6 tablespoons of Windex "Original w/ammonia"
- 2 tablespoons of Ajax (or any other hand-washing dish liquid) - this cuts oil and grease
- 3 tablespoons of liquid Oxiclean laundry booster "odor blasters" - knocks out old stink, prevents new sink / mold as it dries
- Top off with hot water, and mix it up.

My girlfriend, who is gracefully militant about cleaning, researched this combination of ingredients on car carpet cleaning sites and forums. It worked well. It's very clean. It smells nice.

The method:

Apply cleaning brew to fabrics liberally. Scrub hard, in a circular motion, with a firm brush. Let it sit for a while, then hit it with a wet-dry shop vac to extract dirty liquid. Empty dirty water and clean the vac so that you have a sense of the dirtiness of new incoming liquid. Repeat until liquid extracted into the vacuum is clear (or, not dirty). On the third pass we'd typically get to non-dirty water in the vacuum.

The product label search images (to ease painfully long stares at cleaning product displays):
IMG_7197.JPG
IMG_7198.JPG
IMG_7199.JPG

Last edited:
@medtro - "Shampoo" was shorthand and misleading. Sorry. Here's what we did...

In a one gallon jug, combine:

- 3 tablespoons of isopropyl alcohol (91%)
- 6 tablespoons of Windex "Original w/ammonia"
- 2 tablespoons of Ajax (or any other hand-washing dish liquid) - this cuts oil and grease
- 3 tablespoons of liquid Oxiclean laundry booster "odor blasters" - knocks out old stink, prevents new sink / mold as it dries
- Top off with hot water, and mix it up.

My girlfriend, who is gracefully militant about cleaning, researched this combination of ingredients on car carpet cleaning sites and forums. It worked well. It's very clean. It smells nice.

The method:

Apply cleaning brew to fabrics liberally. Scrub hard, in a circular motion, with a firm brush. Let it sit for a while, then hit it with a wet-dry shop vac to extract dirty liquid. Empty dirty water and clean the vac so that you have a sense of the dirtiness of new incoming liquid. Repeat until liquid extracted into the vacuum is clear (or, not dirty). On the third pass we'd typically get to non-dirty water in the vacuum.

The product label search images (to ease painfully long stares at cleaning product displays):

Thanks for the recipe. How many galloons of cleaning brew were used in your job?

About four gallons total. I should add to the above to work in sections - don't let the liquid sit too long. Using a sponge or spray nozzle to apply is a good idea.

Had my muffler replaced. 2nd Dynomax to fail in three years. Trying a Magnaflow.

20180816_124656.jpg

20180816_124710.jpg

Bought our son a Toy(ota)!!

2002 Limited 2wd. 191.5k miles. Lots of little things to get it where I want it for him. Shocks/struts are shot. I just ordered some Gabriel replacements. Keep it simple at first, may throw in some 1.5" spacers but the shocks will lift it back up to normal at least. Have to fix speed module, charge a/c, tint the windows more, and trace an oil leak. But other than that super clean. Original Az car from Tempe Toyota, owned by a now retired school teacher. The guy I bought it from had it 6 months, didn't do a thing to it. How he drove it bouncing down the road I'll never know. Was in an accident in 2006, hatch and driver rear quarter has no clear coat so maybe she couldn't fix all the way?? Best discovery is all of her service history in the glove box, AND the original window sticker! Quite a find.

Nice find! We just gave our daughter the '99 Limited for her 21st birthday.

Nice find! We just gave our daughter the '99 Limited for her 21st birthday.

Thank you, yes for sure a good find. Weren't quite ready to buy but couldn't pass it up. Needed a few things as I mentioned but ready to go now. Sent back the Gabriels as I found some springs and shocks/struts from a 97 4wd Runner on CL for $60, raised it some so it looks good now. Kept the 1.5" spacer in the rear, the front spacer made the front too high. Sits perfect now.

Before:

20180811_182611.jpg

After:

20180815_172131.jpg

New air filter and oil change for the GX. Ordered new brake pads for the GX from Rock Auto.

Replaced the brake pads all the way around the wife's sequioa and installed new rotors in the rear.

Thank you, yes for sure a good find. Weren't quite ready to buy but couldn't pass it up. Needed a few things as I mentioned but ready to go now. Sent back the Gabriels as I found some springs and shocks/struts from a 97 4wd Runner on CL for $60, raised it some so it looks good now. Kept the 1.5" spacer in the rear, the front spacer made the front too high. Sits perfect now.

As a Dad ( I know she won't):lol: I need to keep track of the mileage, for oil changes, timing belt changes, and suspect I will be replacing the lower ball joints soon.

After running flawlessly on the last two run of the month gave my FJ62 a bath when we had a break in the rain yesterday.
IMG_20180821_165352582.jpg

Even cleaned the mud from underneath and especially the wheel wells because I hate rust even more than mud.
IMG_20180821_165055655.jpg

Of course I took advantage of not having any close neighbors and cranked the tunes.
IMG_20180821_165157012.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom