Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is a project for an other day, but am considering putting the Auburn in the Piggy, and going with e-lockers on the 40.

Running boards removed.

Deleted the roof rack a couple weeks ago.

IMG_20161023_122138.jpg

My '92 got a 10k fan clutch fluid upgrade, new Fox 2.0 shocks, and the regeared thirds arrived from Zuk (5.29's. ARB/Aussie).

The '97 got a spare tire lift mod, dented rear bumper replaced (thanks @Rudster), rear hitch was removed and I welded a receiver into the rear crossmember. Front shocks and spring spacers were removed, and replaced with OME mediums. TJM adjustable shocks all around. The TJM's are nice, but don't ride as well as the OEM Tokicos I had recently added. However, the adjustability will help when it is towing or loaded down.

I bought one for a HJ60 in the late 90s.

It is a project for an other day, but am considering putting the Auburn in the Piggy, and going with e-lockers on the 40.

I like the factory E-lockers but require a full floater rear axle. For 60/62 series those seem to be harder to find in the US then for the 40 series. If I down size enough might spring for air lockers or aftermarket E-lockers that I believe don't require the long splinebinner axle. Have the long spline inner axles for front and back on the 40 series.

Replaced the broken throttle cable and drove it for the first time. Based on my confidence to get it running, replaced the wheels/tires earlier in the day. (Next: remove diamond plate, paint front bumper, & bezel)
76fj40exterior2.jpg

Maybe it is time to replace my avatar ( 3 years and two cruisers ago)
IMG_20161023_165601_resized.jpg

Juggling tires and rims for the 'ol Studebaker trailer to get me to deer camp and back home..
NCM_0144.JPG
NCM_0145.JPG

These date codes go back from the 45th week of '97 to the 31st of 2009.
1997 must have been a good year for rubber, they actually have less dry rot than the early 2000's.:hmm:

Last edited:
Got the booster and the master cylinder on, and the brake pedal adjusted. Pics to follow.

Curious how this came out. As I remember Dave @lcwizard said it was sometime in 69 the pedal bucket changed. Old style was spot welded in and new style bolted in so could easily be replaced with a later booster style bucket that the pedal lined up better to the shaft off the booster.:meh: It was all these little things why I picked up a couple of 78 cowls years ago. I now have a crazy idea of updating a cruiser to even newer parts.:bang:

I actually got lucky back in the 90's and found a 72 tub in a salvage yard. Since the 69 tub was in really bad shape rust (etc), I put the 72 tub on the 69 chassis, so I have the later pedal bucket. Everything lined up as it should have.. The only real issue I have had was finding and/or jury rigging the 10mm T's and junctions (Some of it is Rube Goldberg). I think I have enough to finish the job. I wanted all the other hardware (rotors, calipers, master cylinder, booster) on before I finished up the brake line re-do.

That is where I currently am. All the hardware is on.

That explains the pedal bucket issue. Was the brace on the firewall like the two piece on the 71 or a single formed piece like on the 73? How many Tees were needed? Can only think of two, one at each axle. One of the things I stripped off the 84 HJ47 was all the brake lines including funky valve at the back that changed depending on how much weight was loaded in the back. My FJ62 has the same valve on the rear axle. RHD but already had a few sets of brake lines from the master cylinder to the frame including that junction. I know I have a disorder and need help.:bang::crybaby: I do miss the days when I knew where there were loads of FJ40s in junk yards. A few weeks back human body parts and later the body was found in a junk yard. That was Riteway, one of my favorites. Knew all the guys at the counter by name. Something new came in and this one guy would give me a call.:grinpimp:

Installed new struts in FJ62 this summer. Finally got around fixing a few other problems. Power lock in the back hatch would lock but not unlock, had to use the key. Push bottom in the hatch was very stiff, my wife couldn't get it open. Last the tailgate strikers rubbed the catches and hard to open and close. power lock is working perfect now and both the hatch and tailgate operate with one finger. Now if I could figure how to use the spring loaded tailgate hinges from the 100 series so I could lift it with one finger.

Last edited:
What did I do to my Land Cruiser this week? I broke it! I believer is the transfer case. I was out at table Mesa Road playing with the center diff lock on in low. And a bunch a grinding noise happen. Was able to limp it out of my predicament then turn off the center diff lock and I lost all forward Drive. With the center diff lock on I was able to limp it to the highway but it made a lot of noise. Any help would be appreciated. Especially with locating what parts I need to get it back on the road. Thanks

@Ryan Marley If you can lock the center and get home that would lead me away from the transfer case. Sounds more like a differential to me. I have a spare rear differential if that is the case.

Edit: Unless the center diff blew the gears of course. :(

If that diff you have will fit an 01 470. I might be interested. On my way home on a flat bed. I'll tear into when I get home and let you know what I find.

I am not sure on that. Did the 80 and 100 use the same rear diff? Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom