Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From what I have seen of Murf's tinkering, Top Notch..

Picked up my new purchase thanks to @Aids10. Dropped it off at a friends shop and will start stripping it...
image_20161015_131852_1476577587954.jpg
image_20161015_131851_1476577587677.jpg

can I have one to tinker on? It would be fun to get her back on the road with the wind in her grill ~ :steer:

If your taking about those in my garage it's a road best not going down. Nothing in that garage I couldn't have back on the road with a couple days work. The 45 will be a frame off and maybe the 79 FJ40 the others are in pretty good shape with matching paint. The killer is insurance. Not including my mom's Highlander that is just sitting in a garage we have five vehicles insured for two drivers. I'm slowing working on downsizing. One or two FJ40s in this garage may go at some point but clearing others out first.

Ordered a roof rack from Trail-tailor.com
FREE shipping in October
Several options and easy to work with. Looking forward to installing it

Got the booster and the master cylinder on, and the brake pedal adjusted. Pics to follow.

Yes sir that is the plan.

Thanks. I'm not sure what all the hard to find or sought offer items are on this one so the more info and help the better.

You get down to the radius arms I am looking for a local set to rebuild.

Spent some time under and around my truck this morn. Did a visual once over underneath, tried to figure out why my power steering whines, lubed the driveline and drained/filled the trans, power steering and F&R diffs. I love the smell of gear oil in the morning. Not.

Now on to organizing my camp gear. @Funner inspired me with his tackle box/condiment storage :D

Piece of cake to modify your firewall - all Toyota did was cut the vertical brace back below the booster and add a diagonal stiffener strip.
View attachment 1329669

That was a very short change. 72 model were a change from 71. Toyota updated how they produced the 4X series, stamped pieces out of thinner metal and adding ribbing to strengthen. Not sure if the design changed in 72 but by 73 it had. Picture of my 73 I took years ago showing the single new rib that came up and around the clutch mater cylinder. I removed one from a FJ40 with the idea of using it on my 68. Ended with another FJ40 then another that were already set up with the booster decided to just go thru 68's original brakes and call it good.

0016.JPG

That was a very short change. 72 model were a change from 71. Toyota updated how they produced the 4X series, stamped pieces out of thinner metal and adding ribbing to strengthen. Not sure if the design changed in 72 but by 73 it had. Picture of my 73 I took years ago showing the single new rib that came up and around the clutch mater cylinder. I removed one from a FJ40 with the idea of using it on my 68. Ended with another FJ40 then another that were already set up with the booster decided to just go thru 68's original brakes and call it good.

View attachment 1340362

How well does the Holley work in these inline's?
I have a 600 4bbl on the old woodhauler, love the simplicity of rebuilds and the vacuum secondaries. The only problem I have is with almost vertical inclines where the fuel will pour out of the vent tube right into the throat (gas line roads).

I have a 600 4bbl on the old woodhauler, love the simplicity of rebuilds and the vacuum secondaries. The only problem I have is with almost vertical inclines where the fuel will pour out of the vent tube right into the throat (gas line roads).

Believe I bought this 73 FST in July of 94 and haven't gotten around to starting it yet (was offered to me at a deal I couldn't pass up). I did run a 350 two barrel then a 500 two barrel on my 68 years ago. Had a header at the time. Power was great on the highway but hated them off road. Currently have stock one barrel and old cast iron exhaust. Will idle going up hill below 500 RPMs and not stall. If I want to go faster I have other vehicles to use. My Sequoia with the 5.7 V8 can go up hills faster and that is with the 68 on a car hauler.

Mama's feeling a little bad ass today. 3 days of hauling junk for family with the old Army trailer, I got one shot with the CSC sticker. ;) I sooo love this truck! Time for a drink. :cheers:
20161022_151628.jpg

I have been running a Holley 350cfm for many years. Two things you need to think about though; baffling the float for offroad, and a suitable power valve for higher elevations. Love it though. I think 500cfm is way too much for that engine.

It's hell getting old and forgetful. I put an Auburn Limited Slip in the rear of my FJ40 about 15 or so years ago. Anyway, for the rear disc brake conversion you have to pull the axles. I drained it and popped the cover, and said, oh s***. I had no idea how to even find the clips with that LSD in there. I had to call my mechanic buddy from Jim Click to remind me how to do it.

I didn't think there was a Auburn for the semi floater axles.:hmm: I know OEM has to be a full floater. Be interested in seeing a picture of the diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom