Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet you had an access plate, hope that is a Toyota standard.

As I understand it, it is common to the 80 series body. I don't know about the 100 and 200's.

I have done quite a few in the past on other things and always had to drop the tank for access. This is nice, access and even had a full tank of gas. :)

As I understand it, it is common to the 80 series body. I don't know about the 100 and 200's.

I have done quite a few in the past on other things and always had to drop the tank for access. This is nice, access and even had a full tank of gas. :)

Hope it is, and for the 4runners, I hate dropping tanks (and yes they are always full). Consider myself lucky if it is a truck and have to pull the bed.;)

And for anyone temped to suck away the dirt around the opening with a shop vac, don't. Once the fumes hit the brushes it turns into a jet engine (cool tip I learned from a friend).:D

The late model 4X series (79+) have a inspection cover for the sending unit. Same with the 6X series. Problem is in 88 when they switched to fuel injection and moved the pump into the tank they didn't add a inspection plate for that.:bang: I was able to just lower the tank and use the sender inspection opening but had to remove the spare tire carrier and disconnect all the fuel lines.:(

Bought it and towed it home (without event which is a first for a return trip for me).

1976 FJ40
Original Drivetrain with LOW miles
Even though all the diamond plate it is 99% rust free (one spot on the fender)

My plan is to take off the diamond plate, sell the soft top, and get a set of OEM wheels & caps with BFG 33x10.5 wheels and drive the heck out of it this fall & spring.
1976 FJ40.png

Did you sell your fj45?

Bought it and towed it home (without event which is a first for a return trip for me).

1976 FJ40
My plan is to take off the diamond plate, sell the soft top, and get a set of OEM wheels & caps with BFG 33x10.5 wheels and drive the heck out of it this fall & spring.

Score!:cheers:
D-plate was the cool dumb thing to do back in the late 80's early 90's (I fell into that trend). Give it some time, it may grow on you, I have a couple of boulder scars in the corner panels that go unnoticed with the aluminum.;)

Murph, Yes, the FJ45 is in Denver now (which was one of many calls from about 4 different states)
I need to get with you for some new wheels/tires for this cruiser.

:hmm: Now really curious how the 86 booster from a mini truck compares to the booster from the 84 4X series. Tried looking up booster off the 86 on a online site and came up empty thinking it's NLA in the US market. I do know the clutch master changed in the early eighties, maybe to clear the booster. 8/80 the booster changed design from the big dual diaphragm to a single diaphragm.

Finally got a chance to dig out and compare boosters. The HJ47 and mini truck boosters both are just over eight inches in diameter. Mini truck booster is around three and a half inches The HJ47 is around five inches thick. All my loose 76-80 boosters are in the valley but remember them being thicker (six inches plus :meh:). The FJ62 was thinner then the HJ47 and the same diameter.

Finally got a chance to dig out and compare boosters. The HJ47 and mini truck boosters both are just over eight inches in diameter. Mini truck booster is around three and a half inches The HJ47 is around five inches thick. All my loose 76-80 boosters are in the valley but remember them being thicker (six inches plus :meh:). The FJ62 was thinner then the HJ47 and the same diameter.

After trying several, I ended up going with the booster off the 71-74 model. I fits the firewall without an adapter plate, and without covering any holes or interfering with the clutch master, and the FzJ80 master fits right up to it.

I also finished raiding all the salvage yards in Tucson and have enough 10mm T's and junctions to finish up the new brake lines (replacing all the 9mm stuff).

Finally spent some time trying different rims out on a FJ40 and my FJ45. The three generation 4Runner rim being 16" and shank style lug nut will fit the 76 disc brake axle with only a 1/4 spacer. Plenty of threads on the lug. The 80 series being 15" and tapered lug nut will require at least a 1" wheel spacer.
IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG

Finally spent some time trying different rims out on a FJ40 and my FJ45. The three generation 4Runner rim being 16" and shank style lug nut will fit the 76 disc brake axle with only a 1/4 spacer. Plenty of threads on the lug. The 80 series being 15" and tapered lug nut will require at least a 1" wheel spacer.

Which one is going to the Friday meeting?

Which one is going to the Friday meeting?

If I were closer it would be the FJ62 in the pictures or this one. Only two Land Cruisers I have registered for the road. But since I'm restricted from driving I'll just have to stick to off pavement driving.

IMG_2486.JPG

Last edited:
That 45 needs a new home and some much needed love, I know a rescue shelter that will take that in

The FJ45 is doing just find. Much better climate for storing it then the valley. Tracking the temperature the in the garage it's around 80 in the summer and stays above freezing in the winter. You can see the full floating for it behind the rear wheel. What you can't see is the H41 split transfer case with hand brake in the bed and disc brake axle underneath. More goodies in the valley.

can I have one to tinker on? It would be fun to get her back on the road with the wind in her grill ~ :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom