What Did You Do To Your Diesel Today (WDYDTYDT) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Exhaust pipe is done and mounted. I used the old wastegate place to support the turbo and downpipe to the block.
8F302407-11FD-443E-878A-6D3072EB3EF0.jpeg

All is stainless steel.

First oil change post heart transplant. Needs a bath too. ;)

F874D5CC-C196-4444-B70C-6EA9B6E474E2.jpeg

I went to rotate the crankshaft on my 2B for a valve adjustment, and realized the crankshaft pulley bolt was missing o_O Hopefully I can find another (but I borrowed one for now). It's the same part number as the 3B. Oddly the "B & 2B Engine Repair Manual" specs 145-173 ft-lb, the "B, 3B, 11B, 13B, 13B-T Engine Repair Manual" specs 177 ft-lb, and the "B,3B,11B,14B Engine Repair Manual" specs 217 ft-lb.

Got the engine out and pulled the head off. Pretty sure that's not supposed to be there.

Has to be a snapped timing belt, right?
Obviously you dropped two valves, and smashed the other two into the head, and it looks like all your piston tops show some valve touching love?

Definitely sucks.....

F

Has to be a snapped timing belt, right?
Obviously you dropped two valves, and smashed the other two into the head, and it looks like all your piston tops show some valve touching love?

Definitely sucks.....

F
Timing belt was fine actually and still tensioned properly. The metal from the #5 cylinder shot out into the intake and into the other cylinders.

Since it has to be rebuilt, I am not as afraid to put on some power adders so I got a PDI intercooler and GTURBO grunter. Now just need to source a new cylinder head, a rebuild kit (looking at the Noordeman kits), and bring the block to a machine shop to bore it out a tad to take some of the small nicks out.

PXL_20220710_185253797.jpg

Timing belt was fine actually and still tensioned properly. The metal from the #5 cylinder shot out into the intake and into the other cylinders.

Since it has to be rebuilt, I am not as afraid to put on some power adders so I got a PDI intercooler and GTURBO grunter. Now just need to source a new cylinder head, a rebuild kit (looking at the Noordeman kits), and bring the block to a machine shop to bore it out a tad to take some of the small nicks out.

So, you're thinking it just dropped a valve? No idea as to why?
Just to help expand my understanding of these engines, was there any warning, or just a catastrophic bang and the engine died?
Ouch.

So, you're thinking it just dropped a valve? No idea as to why?
Just to help expand my understanding of these engines, was there any warning, or just a catastrophic bang and the engine died?
Ouch.
No idea yet, but I'll investigate further as I look at the head over the weekend.

It definitely didn't sound like a catastrophic failure when it happened (I was on the way back from the outer banks in NC at the time). It sounded like a light roaring when it happened (I was on the highway when it happened). I didn't think it was serious until I pulled over and the engine cut off. Attempting to restart it shot a bunch of smoke out of the tailpipe.

There's an earlier post in here where I thought it was just turbo failure that choked the engine. Turns out there was in fact turbo failure, but that's because of all junk sent through it from the broken valves.

Ordered a fuel filter and washable air filter from the dealer up the street. I'm about 1000 km from some maintenance.

Got the 13bt powered landrover going for the first time in a few months, after chucking some new solenoid contacts in the starter. Took it for a cruise round the local countryside, driveability of the hot 13bt is awesome.
8467649D-55D9-4F88-A93E-A27FA69E4781.jpeg

Test fitted the 15bf in the bj73, needed to move the ps reservoir and the coolant inlet pipe. Gives me the position to tack on the engine mount fish plates. Set one up to weld, but changed my mind and took it back off again to drill the plug weld holes. I had it mind to tack them on, tack on the mounts, then remove the whole lot to weld in position. If I can master the vertical weld will probably just do it in situ. Nz vehicle engineering forbids the grinding of welds, so needs to look good if it’s going back on the road.
657C7D75-E626-4A33-A199-476DC2A329D0.jpeg

375DC74F-5BC7-497C-835F-975D55A52387.jpeg

3BB9806D-75AF-4EAF-9898-A4590716AF26.jpeg

Bought it! My first deisel and second 80 series. I have been reading for three days on the 1hd-t and figuring out a baseline list.

In the Pro column, this truck was pretty well kitted with solar and lights and power management and armor.
In the Con column its a bit smokey, so I'm figuring out the why. I'll address the BEBs soon and replace the fuel filter and then dive deeper down the usagi hole of diesel maintenance and rebuilding.

I fpewnto Minneapolis Friday night and drove the fatty home to Colorado Saturday, around a 900 mile trip and it was a deep dive into RHD.

20220813_194726.jpg

20220813_095429.jpg

Bought it! My first deisel and second 80 series. I have been reading for three days on the 1hd-t and figuring out a baseline list.

Congrats and welcome to the dark side!!! Great looking rig!

I know you're new to them, but it's spelled "diesel" ;)

Doh! I keep doing that! My 1st 80 was foolishly sold last year after 11 years of ownership. This one will be around a while longer. I learned my lesson.

In the Pro column, this truck was pretty well kitted with solar and lights and power management and armor.
In the Con column its a bit smokey, so I'm figuring out the why. I'll address the BEBs soon and replace the fuel filter and then dive deeper down the usagi hole of diesel maintenance and rebuilding.

I fpewnto Minneapolis Friday night and drove the fatty home to Colorado Saturday, around a 900 mile trip and it was a deep dive into RHD.

View attachment 3089373

View attachment 3089375

The 1hdt isn't exactly a clean diesel.

Air filter.

If that doesn't help you can pull the pcv line and if that helps look into a catch can or removal.

If that doesn't help look into adjusting base fuel via various threads here and the fsm.

Mine puffs a touch at start up and at night is hazy when in have headlights behind me. I've been meaning to adjust fuel and haven't.

Thanks for those suggestions!

The air filter looked new when I bought it, but I'll Doble check it. It looks like the pcv is just routed to a hose that drops down towards the front axle with no cap. I'm looking at adding a catch can to it and riutingnit back to the air box. I'm running a few tanks of injector cleaner through it and it seems to be improving, but I habe a feeling that the fuel is turned up. Fortunately the PO included the IHDT FSM with the truck so I'm diving in to ithat as well.

The air filter looked new when I bought it, but I'll Doble check it. It looks like the pcv is just routed to a hose that drops down towards the front axle with no cap. I'm looking at adding a catch can to it and riutingnit back to the air box. I'm running a few tanks of injector cleaner through it and it seems to be improving, but I habe a feeling that the fuel is turned up. Fortunately the PO included the IHDT FSM with the truck so I'm diving in to ithat as well.

If the pcv isn't routed to the intake I'd look at fuel then lol

One thing I've always done on my diesels is when I replace the fuel filter, I fill the new filter with a can of Liqui Moly Diesel Purge. It's a solid shot of injector cleaning goodness.
Worth a try if you are doing maintenance anyway.

Kids all grown up and now dad can play again. Lol….finally got a 60. 25yrs ago once had a 40. Well this one is an ‘86 HJ60 with a 12HT swap. Some on this forum may know this vehicle. Thanks @NateFFEMT
Been going through it and learning it’s feels and sounds. Oil change, fuel filter, air filter clean, greased up, diffs checked.
Less black poofs now but expect this will always be with the 12HT.
Already grateful for the knowledge share and experience on this forum.
Stay deadly

DD16746E-97F7-4AB9-8505-C66895698F14.jpeg

CAF3BF34-A1CB-460D-9CBA-D92EA2B17F81.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom