What Did You Do To Your Diesel Today (WDYDTYDT) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing I've always done on my diesels is when I replace the fuel filter, I fill the new filter with a can of Liqui Moly Diesel Purge. It's a solid shot of injector cleaning goodness.
Worth a try if you are doing maintenance anyway.

Can you find it locally?

Can you find it locally?
Sure, I can here (central Fl).
Look for an independent German / Import auto parts store, or possibly a Napa.
I have an local import auto parts store I've been buying parts from since the 1990's. They always have it on the shelf. Same place I bought the fuel filter from. They sold me a Mahle ;)

Sure, I can here (central Fl).
Look for an independent German / Import auto parts store, or possibly a Napa.
I have an local import auto parts store I've been buying parts from since the 1990's. They always have it on the shelf. Same place I bought the fuel filter from. They sold me a Mahle ;)

We have a place I used to source BMW parts. I'll give them a call.

Edit: my Napa has it.

I was able to Raptorcoat 1/2 the truck before i ran out of light
IMG_20220911_193139[1].jpg

It was this very nice blue, but the Clear coat was absolutely shot, and the tree branch pinstripes were adding up
IMG_20220911_193311[1].jpg

I love your door / side trim!
Did you just cut down regular trim, or did you source it somewhere as is?
Thanks!
I have the fender flares + the "over" flares, they fill that space right up to where the side trim ends.

Inspected my timing belt and installed / wired up some aux lights.

1) Timing belt sticker said 87,xxx KM's. Truck is now at 219k KM's. I popped the cover, and I'm fairly certain the T-Belt was done before the truck left Japan, in Nov. 2019. There's no way this T-Belt is at 110k KM's. It still has all of the Toyota printing on the outside of the belt, and is not showing any of the threads on the tooth-side of the belt.
Re-set my T-Belt indicator light and motor on!

2) When I bought a front bumper, it had an LED bar and 4x ARB copy 8" lights. I removed the round lights, because if they aren't hooked up, then it just looks silly. Yesterday, I put two lights back on the bumper and wired them up. Got a cheap eBay wiring kit w/ fuse holder, and relay. Tapped into the Aux Power box under the hood. What a GREAT friggin idea, Toyota!! Cut a small slit in my firewall rubber grommet, and used an add-a-fuse to do the positive wiring for the switch. Ground went right to a factory ground point behind the RH kick panel. Easy peasy!

Now, the lights and switch do not have power when the ignition is off, so I don't have to worry about draining the battery if I leave them on. I tried them last night. They are BRIGHT!!

I'll try to get some photos..

Found out my new head gasket didnt seal.....most likely
So really just finding out 'what im going to have to do to my diesel in the ner future' ..... WIGTHTDTMDITNF 😓

Inspected my timing belt and installed / wired up some aux lights.

1) Timing belt sticker said 87,xxx KM's. Truck is now at 219k KM's. I popped the cover, and I'm fairly certain the T-Belt was done before the truck left Japan, in Nov. 2019. There's no way this T-Belt is at 110k KM's. It still has all of the Toyota printing on the outside of the belt, and is not showing any of the threads on the tooth-side of the belt.
Re-set my T-Belt indicator light and motor on!

2) When I bought a front bumper, it had an LED bar and 4x ARB copy 8" lights. I removed the round lights, because if they aren't hooked up, then it just looks silly. Yesterday, I put two lights back on the bumper and wired them up. Got a cheap eBay wiring kit w/ fuse holder, and relay. Tapped into the Aux Power box under the hood. What a GREAT friggin idea, Toyota!! Cut a small slit in my firewall rubber grommet, and used an add-a-fuse to do the positive wiring for the switch. Ground went right to a factory ground point behind the RH kick panel. Easy peasy!

Now, the lights and switch do not have power when the ignition is off, so I don't have to worry about draining the battery if I leave them on. I tried them last night. They are BRIGHT!!

I'll try to get some photos..

Mine had 100k and looked like this

20211125_131215.jpg

Mine had 100k and looked like this

Thanks for the photo!
100k KM's, I assume?

I would definitely say mine looks newer. Yours looks 'slicker' or shinier, like the rubber has had more heat cycles.

Thanks for the photo!
100k KM's, I assume?

I would definitely say mine looks newer. Yours looks 'slicker' or shinier, like the rubber has had more heat cycles.

When I changed the timing belt on my old hdj80, I was surprised how good the old belt looked at a glance.
After looking closer, and comparing old with new, I could see each tooth was worn down by approx 1mm.
After thinking about it, and doing some calculations, I decided 1mm of wear on the teeth equated to approx 3-4⁰ change in camshaft timing.
Even if the belt was sturdy, and not likely to snap, the change in timing is significant enough to warrant changing it

I’ve been working on this twinscroll manifold for the 15bf motor I’ve put in my bj73 project. Very similar to the one I did for my 13bt last year, this one has gone way quicker though. The end is in sight with these last pieces cut this evening.
DFD20008-9E9C-485A-B66F-498B70B958F3.jpeg

6B47E5A8-82FD-4A7F-9A20-79F7E06002F2.jpeg

Sometimes I use these welding magnets. Most of the time I just hold things together with my left hand and end up burning myself :doh:
AEEBB547-4AA1-41A1-9968-EB4115C49A03.jpeg

If you’re going to produce crappy ugly welds, you better have plenty of grinding gear.
3E44F8D4-AB8D-4993-B42E-AEE5C7C0BC6A.jpeg

I’ve been working on this twinscroll manifold for the 15bf motor I’ve put in my bj73 project. Very similar to the one I did for my 13bt last year, this one has gone way quicker though. The end is in sight with these last pieces cut this evening.
View attachment 3148946

View attachment 3148947

Sometimes I use these welding magnets. Most of the time I just hold things together with my left hand and end up burning myself :doh:
View attachment 3148945

If you’re going to produce crappy ugly welds, you better have plenty of grinding gear.
View attachment 3148948
lots of grinding gear
and beer!

Timing belt was fine actually and still tensioned properly. The metal from the #5 cylinder shot out into the intake and into the other cylinders.

Since it has to be rebuilt, I am not as afraid to put on some power adders so I got a PDI intercooler and GTURBO grunter. Now just need to source a new cylinder head, a rebuild kit (looking at the Noordeman kits), and bring the block to a machine shop to bore it out a tad to take some of the small nicks out.

View attachment 3071908
Make sure you use ARP head studs as the head will lift when boosting over 22 psi. They are an expensive add on.

Held my foot down a bit too long on the third attempt at a nasty hill. Pin hole leak in a heater hose after the fact may tell the whole tale. Its gasket time at best, head n gasket come worst. Its hard to describe how long and hard i've been beating on this engine. Still made it home though with several stops to refill rad including several creeks and rivers with one lake hacked into to give up its booty.

I bought a some more Xp3 diesel fuel enhancer. I ordered late last night from Canadian Diesel Online, and it was at my front door this afternoon. I've been using this additive in all of my diesel engines for many years now with great results. My last bottle lasted me over 3 years.

Xp3.jpg

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom