What did you do on your 70 series today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perfect tire size. Are those 80 series stealies?
No, too narrow. These are 80 wheels:
20260809_181026.webp
 
Finally got a Troopy, after working with them 16 years ago and falling in love with their big lazy engines... just a shame this one has no engine...*

IMG_20260813_123630020.webp


* matches my BJ70, that still has no engine in the engine bay, instead that is still on an engine stand in the back of the car port....
 
Finally getting some time to get this build going. I ordered a National Luna fridge back in November. Just came in in July. I started with the 80/20 frame Paul started, but went a different direction. I narrowed the driver side bench to be 2.5" narrower and moved the fridge mount from the back to forward of the axel. Now placing components to get everything laid out, then I'll mount and make pretty. 20 gal water tank behind driver seat. installed lighting. Passenger side aft of the fridge will be reconfigured for drawers (I ordered the aircraft ones a la Ofur) and small sink. Water pump and filters will sit behind fridge.

Contemplating whether to cover cabs with thin aluminum a la JoeMama.
IMG_6958.webp
 
A short while ago I got back from a month of drving the 74 all over the Rockies. About 6,500 miles. Forest fires caused the plan to change. Visited Rocky Mtn and Yellowstone parks. Helped a guy jump start the rust-free 62 he had jsut bought... he was trekking back to N Carolina. Stumbled across a place that specializes in International Scouts.

IMG_5547.webp


IMG_5687.webp


IMG_5636.webp


IMG_5818.webp


IMG_5783.webp
 
those handmade abs speaker pods for the front doors are very cool … any chance you can reproduce another set?
Thank you for the compliment. Unfortunately, no plans to reproduce these. Aside from the custom marine vinyl upholstery and the OEM speaker grilles, the pods themselves are widely available on chinese ecommerce sites and from several US based resellers, generically as “70-series speaker pods” or something similar. They are just injection molded plastic over an MDF panel, and a number of Mud contributors have provided various examples of installations.

Like several others on Mud, I mounted the speakers to the MDF panel that nests inside the pod, rather than flush mounting to the plastic. This provides a cleaner, recessed look in my opinion, but at the cost of possible clearance issues with the speaker magnet and the door depending on your speaker dimensions. In this case, you can use shallow mount speakers, or trim some sheet metal.
 
Thank you for the compliment. Unfortunately, no plans to reproduce these. Aside from the custom marine vinyl upholstery and the OEM speaker grilles, the pods themselves are widely available on chinese ecommerce sites and from several US based resellers, generically as “70-series speaker pods” or something similar. They are just injection molded plastic over an MDF panel, and a number of Mud contributors have provided various examples of installations.

Like several others on Mud, I mounted the speakers to the MDF panel that nests inside the pod, rather than flush mounting to the plastic. This provides a cleaner, recessed look in my opinion, but at the cost of possible clearance issues with the speaker magnet and the door depending on your speaker dimensions. In this case, you can use shallow mount speakers, or trim some sheet metal.
Realized I never got around to posting a finished product, and that I don’t have any photos of them installed, but here they are, minus armrests, door handles, and window cranks.
IMG_2778.webp
 
Last edited:
I'm on my way home from my Iceland 🇮🇸 adventure. On the beach in Denmark 🇩🇰, the alternator quit charging.. Made it to camp with battery power. The old 3B doesn't need electric power, once running (just for shut down).
Pulled the brushes under a tarp in pouring rain the next morning. I love Toyota / Denso 🧡: Well engineered, so you can pull the brushes without removing the alternator. And even a plastic washer makes sure the little screw doesn't fall out into the engine bay nirvana.
20260819_072353.webp

Yea: 41 years of wear.
I have spare brushes with me, but idiot me didn't bring a soldering iron..
Cleaned it up, put it back together and YES, charges again.
Got a soldering iron at the next diy market, just in case. But up to now, it holds up.. 800km to go home... 🤞

For more impressions from my trip check my YouTube Playlist


Cheers Ralf

20260819_110509.webp
 
@Felde Nice!
My charge light has flickered a few times in the past few weeks as well as my fuel gauge has been acting wonky. I checked my alternator and it's not putting out at low-idle. I am contemplating a new higher-output 24v alternator or just checking/replacing the brushes on the current unit.

What direction are you going to go with yours?
 
Ya just did my brushes too, coming up on 41 years here too as well, guess thats the service life of these alternators, amazing really,
check your brushes Owyhee
 
@Felde Nice!
My charge light has flickered a few times in the past few weeks as well as my fuel gauge has been acting wonky. I checked my alternator and it's not putting out at low-idle. I am contemplating a new higher-output 24v alternator or just checking/replacing the brushes on the current unit.

What direction are you going to go with yours?
Replace the brushes... That Denso thing worked just fine the past years. I can't blame it for failing after 5000km of dust, sand & sea-salt. When I pulled the brush holder, quite some dust came out.
Here is a video on the matter ... It helped me a lot...
The new brushes need to be soldered in with a specific protrusion. The Spec is in the engine repair manual, Chapter CH 6. All in all an easy job...

Good Luck Ralf
 
brush protrusion is easy to gauge if your old ones were at their max extension,
i never used a soldering iron before (plenty of sweat copper fittings tho) or read the fsm, its pretty self explanatory
 
Back
Top Bottom