What did you do on your 70 series today? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The release points are in the notches on the side closest to your thumb. You should be able to identify the tab that needs to be depressed by looking into one of the vacant cavities.

The release points are in the notches on the side closest to your thumb. You should be able to identify the tab that needs to be depressed by looking into one of the vacant cavities.

It seems like there is an invisible force keeping it in no matter what I do. I will study it some more this weekend when I have daylight and more time to do so.

It seems like there is an invisible force keeping it in no matter what I do. I will study it some more this weekend when I have daylight and more time to do so.
You may try pushing the terminal in slightly as you attempt to release the tab. It could be binding up.

Dan, do you mean the latch or tab is accessed from the end where the wire goes in?
Connectors and de-pinning drive me nuts. it seems like each set is a little different.

Dan, do you mean the latch or tab is accessed from the end where the wire goes in?
Connectors and de-pinning drive me nuts. it seems like each set is a little different
The tool is inserted from the side where the connectors plug together.

In some cases the wire needs to be pushed in like the way you insert it as you depress the tab from the opposite direction.

Stripped all the flares and running boards to inspect and treat for any rust, replace gasketing and respray the fender flares. Not too bad under there but did break a few bolts as expected.

View attachment 3188295
Tearing into mine as well now that the wind and snow has slowed down. Any advice other than soaking threads / nuts before twisting? Are you going back with stainless Connectors? My passenger rear flare is cracked and temporary repaired with rivets. Plan to try and patch that crack…Looks to be fiberglass - correct? What gasket replacement are you using - OEM? If so, do you have a link to P/N? Rattle can touch up…find a good match? Mine are high gloss black

Here are the instructions that came with one of the SST. Doesn't work for me though.

tool.jpg

DAMN! that thing is EXPENSIVE!

The price shot up after I ordered it. I was shocked to see what the updated price is. You don't want to even know what the 10 piece SST kit costs.

Tearing into mine as well now that the wind and snow has slowed down. Any advice other than soaking threads / nuts before twisting? Are you going back with stainless Connectors? My passenger rear flare is cracked and temporary repaired with rivets. Plan to try and patch that crack…Looks to be fiberglass - correct? What gasket replacement are you using - OEM? If so, do you have a link to P/N? Rattle can touch up…find a good match? Mine are high gloss black
@Buckaro You could try powerwashing first and soaking with a penetrant oil, I figured 25+ years of corrosion has taken its toll and I'll just have to drill them out and retap the encapsulated nuts. My plan is to rust treat all the brackets as some of them do have some surface rust, then I will use stainless hardware and antiseize on the threads for easier removal if necessary. I am reversing the 2 tone paint on the body, I really don't like the oatmeal color - makes it look dated and like a 90's Suzuki Sidekick imo. So I am going to bring the blue down to the rockers and also spray the door window frames the midnight blue color. The fenders are definitely fiberglass, you should be able to repair those with a fiberglass kit. FJ73Texas has some info on the fender flair gaskets a few posts back including the part numbers. You can still get the rubber fillers, I plan to go OEM, not really that expensive maybe $60-75 for all. There may be some other universal material that would work but I'd rather just go with a guaranteed fit. I am going to respray the fenders with automotive paint not just rattle cans but I am sure you could do that off the shelf or color matched if you wanted to. Fenders will be more of a charcoal grey or pewter color and I am upgrading the rear mudflaps to longer ones installed on the newer wagons. I am going for more of a modern 70 series color scheme including the snorkel as pictured below. Anyone have any idea what the color code would be for the silver/pewter trim on these new VDJ76 @cruiserdan ?

Here is a link to @FJ73Texas work on the fender gaskets: WDYD - What did you do on your 70 series today? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what-did-you-do-on-your-70-series-today.804784/post-14465970

VDJ76.jpg

Last edited:
Learned that starters can weld their contacts and with a carbureted 1FZ, it just won't quit!

That was quite the interesting experience, was very confused for a good minute, thought it was diesel-ing but then noticed a weird whining noise coming from front of trans. Thought about it more critically and realized I had been meaning to replace starter contacts, had no idea it could weld and be stuck out though.

Quick remove, rebuild, replace of the contacts+plunger and good as new.

Learned that starters can weld their contacts and with a carbureted 1FZ, it just won't quit!

That was quite the interesting experience, was very confused for a good minute, thought it was diesel-ing but then noticed a weird whining noise coming from front of trans. Thought about it more critically and realized I had been meaning to replace starter contacts, had no idea it could weld and be stuck out though.

Quick remove, rebuild, replace of the contacts+plunger and good as new.
this happened to my 86.5 supra once
scared the s*** outta me, and it jumped a tooth on the timing belt at the same time!
makes ya feel alive

We joined the Christmas parade of the local farmers guilde on Saturday.
Lichterfahrt_2022_animated.gif

The parade was first initiated in 2020 during the Covid lockdowns, for the people to look at from their windows.
Now, people flock at the curb sides, with mulled wine and camp fires, to enjoy the parade.
20221210_174644.jpg
20221210_174727.jpg
20221210_174820.jpg

A great event for kids. Many of them come to watch with their pedal cars and Bobby Cars decorated and illuminated, too.
More than 80 illuminated tractors participated. The route covered 6 villages, ~40km in 4h, including stops at elderly people's home, hospital and children's home, where Santa 🎅 delivered some presents.
The Landcruiser was accepted into the parade although it is not actually a tractor; probably because it sounds like one when firing up when cold. 😁
Whatch the full parade here :

If you want to see some more details of the vehicles, see here

Cheers Ralf

In Honduras they call them tractors. Looks like fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom